Back and Bi

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
I recently started a thread about switching from a "bro-split" that I've done for years to higher frequency training.

First, I started with:

Legs/shoulders
Back/chest
Bis/Tris
Rest
Repeat

However, as someone here anticipated, I quickly found doing chest and shoulders on the same day overly taxing.

So I switched to the following:

Legs/shoulders
Chest/tris
Back/bis
Rest
Repeat

Here is my question:

How many of you have enjoyed back and bis on the same day? I feel like by the time I hit bis they are weak and I cannot get nearly the same pump as training them apart from back.

Do you superset back and bis?

Does anyone do chest/bis and back/tris...using the antagonist muscle groups to prevent fatiguing one or the other while training them together?

Input is greatly appreciated.

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure what others will say.. But when I do a back and bi or chest and tri. I'll do maybe 4-8 sets of the back or chest. Then start superset ting the bi or tri. I just like how I get a big pump that way

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
Not sure what others will say.. But when I do a back and bi or chest and tri. I'll do maybe 4-8 sets of the back or chest. Then start superset ting the bi or tri. I just like how I get a big pump that way
Thanks man.

I did superset my last few exercises on back and bi last night, however I felt that my back exercises ended up suffering because of the added fatigue in my biceps.

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's like anything else do it for a few weeks and you'll get accustomed to it, then you'll really be able to crank out some good super sets

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I switched to the following:

Legs/shoulders
Chest/tris
Back/bis
Rest
Repeat
I tend to combine bis with back, but have switched it up in the past and done bis with chest and then tris with back. I find it more efficient to do bis after back since I'm working out the biceps with most of my back exercises and then end with some isolation exercises.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to place your shoulder day after chest/back.

FNF5989

FNF5989

Awards
  • Established
My plan is this

Chest/tri
Back/bi
Legs/shoulder
Chest/back(alternate focus each week)
Arms/calves

I actually really enjoy this and I have for a while.

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
The reason you'd find chest/shoulders difficult to do in the one day is you're emphasizing the shoulders too much, since you're doing it twice a week you take take 1/3 of the volume out of everything so in turn you're hitting significantly more volume by doing it twice (if that makes sense). Also, you're hitting your front delts a lot on chest day, and rear delts a decent amount of back day, so just adding in a couple sets for each should be sufficient, then pumping some volume on the lateral head towards the latter of your push workout.

Something like;

Flat/incline bench 4x8-12 (whatever rep range floats your boat for all of these)
Flat/incline DB bench 4x8-12
Military press 3x8-12
Dips superset w/ flies 3x8-12/12-15
Lateral raises 5x12-15
Skullkrusher 3-8-12
Tricep pushdown 3x12-15

As for biceps on back day, they're already getting plenty of work through back, and taking some of the volume out of them and raising the frequency will allow for plenty of stimulation anywhere. What you feel in the gym (a good pump) doesn't necessarily mean you're stimulating the muscle optimally.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
My current split is working wonders for me, maybe you'd find it helpful too:
Chest/tris
Back/bis
Legs - quad focused
Shoulders
Arms
Rest
Legs - hamstring focused
Repeat
Sufficient amount of rest between all muscle groups AND I get to hit arms and legs both twice a week.
However with bis and tris following back and chest, I only do a few exercises with a lot of sets and high reps. Just some volume isolation work to really fatigue them since they are already mostly tired from being worked alongside either the chest of back.
On the arm day I start off heavier with close grip bench and barbell curls, usually do 6-8 sets each with goal rep range of around 8-12, then move on to other exercises. I really enjoy supersetting one triceps exercise with one biceps exercise. The pump is outrageous.

FNF5989

FNF5989

Awards
  • Established
My split is as follows :

Chest/tri
Back/bi
Legs/shoulder
Chest/back
Arms/calves

I have been loving this split for awhile now. Gives just enough rest to get right back into it

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think that back and bis are good, but almost feel like bis are unnessesary on back day. I might throw in a few sets of bis at the end but i dont have the energy to really hit them hard. Also when i hit back correctly my bis are almost always sore the next day even with no isolation work. I like a seperate arm day spaced out from my upper body days where i can focus on bis and tris alone or bis tris and shoulders.

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
I think it depends on your goals. If you wanna increase a specific lift or muscle group your gonna to have emphasize it possibly as the expense of something else. So let's say your goal is a thick back AND arms...

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
*Bench Focus + Dips

Legs/Back/Biceps
*Trap Focus - Cleans, etc.
Active Rest

Shoulders/Chest/Triceps*
*OHP Focus + CGBP

Legs/Back/Biceps*
*Deadlift focus

6. (Optional)
Gun Show*
Biceps/Triceps/Forearms