When they say hitting a muscle twice in one week do they mean...

ChrisG2

Awards
Do they mean hitting it again a week after originally working that muscle or twice just in a 7 day period? For example if my split was like
Monday: chest
Tuesday: back
Wednesday: legs
Thursday: arms and shoulders
Friday: rest
Saturday chest
Sunday: back
The next Monday: legs
Tuesday: arms and shoulders
Would I be hitting arms and shoulders twice a week since I hit them Thursday and it was only 5 days later when I hit them again or would it not be considered twice because it wasn't within the same 7 day week from when I first went to the gym on Monday.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
For me, twice in a week means just that, 2x per workout week.

Here's my split:

Mon: Back & Bi's
Tues: Chest & Tri's
Wed: Shoulders & Legs
Thur: Back & Bi's
Fri: Chest & Tri's
Sat: Shoulders & Legs
Sun: Rest

I hit abs 3-6 times per week depending on how sore they are.

As far as your observation, I would also think if you hit the muscles twice within a 7 day period, that could be considered twice a week. I like my split as it allows me to do strength work on the first 3 days and hypertrophy on the last 3. You can easily overtrain doing it this way, but so far my body has been able to handle it. I'll throw in a deload every few weeks to allow my joints and tendons some rest.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Twice in a 7 day period. Any way you accomplish that would fit (it doesn't have to be one specific way to hit them twice, there are many ways people do it).

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
You are way overthinking this. Do you understand how hard it is to overtrain your body? Soreness is something that is normal. Sometimes you won't even be sore. Doesn't mean that you can't hit the same bodypart again as long as you gave it a day rest. Two times a week is just fine. The human body is an amazing machine and its built to take abuse as long as you have rest. Look at pro athletes, as many of them work the same bodyparts every single day. Do they lack muscle? **** no. Eat, sleep, and train!

Don't forget to take your vitamins either.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
You are way overthinking this. Do you understand how hard it is to overtrain your body? Soreness is something that is normal. Sometimes you won't even be sore. Doesn't mean that you can't hit the same bodypart again as long as you gave it a day rest. Two times a week is just fine. The human body is an amazing machine and its built to take abuse as long as you have rest. Look at pro athletes, as many of them work the same bodyparts every single day. Do they lack muscle? **** no. Eat, sleep, and train!

Don't forget to take your vitamins either.
THIS! Perfectly put dude…too many people understand how much our bodies can handle. During my overreaching phases I'll hit every muscle 3-4x per week while squatting/benching/deadlifting 3-4x

Obviously we all have individual recovery capabilities so always keep that in mind OP

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
THIS! Perfectly put dude…too many people understand how much our bodies can handle. During my overreaching phases I'll hit every muscle 3-4x per week while squatting/benching/deadlifting 3-4x

Obviously we all have individual recovery capabilities so always keep that in mind OP
Yes and you are a prime example because you are in great physical condition! Thank you for the reply Beast!

ChrisG2

Awards

My concern isn't over training, I'm trying to hit everything twice a week for growth and was wondering if this would be considered twice a week for optimal growth. When it says hitting a muscle twice a week is it saying hitting in twice in a prescribed 7 day period or within 7 days of hitting that muscle?

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I go with what my body is telling me. You can read and ask all the questions you want. But nobody knows you like you.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Yeah look at Rich Piana. ****er trains arms for 8 hours at a time. He's big and strong, never had an issue with muscle growth. Also drinks 16 protein shakers during a workout :)

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Yeah look at Rich Piana. ****er trains arms for 8 hours at a time. He's big and strong, never had an issue with muscle growth. Also drinks 16 protein shakers during a workout :)
And shoots up about a gram of test a week.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
If you read that and took me seriously I am very sorry.

SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr

Awards
My concern isn't over training, I'm trying to hit everything twice a week for growth and was wondering if this would be considered twice a week for optimal growth. When it says hitting a muscle twice a week is it saying hitting in twice in a prescribed 7 day period or within 7 days of hitting that muscle?
You are making this way too hard on yourself. If you want a definitive answer then take this:

Start your training week on Monday and finish it on Sunday (7 days). Now create a routine where you hit your muscles twice in that 7 day window. Repeat on the following Monday. Simple?