Need some help reprogramming Westside (WSFSB III + conditioning)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So a new gym opened up 1 block from my apartment. It's a crossfit gym but they are allowing me to lift on my own anytime I want in there. It's super convenient and they have great equipment so I'm joining up. They have a very large outdoor area for prowler sprints / sled pulls and this is a huge turn-on for me as I'm really focusing on conditioning atm. I live in NYC and space is very limited at most gyms.

Here's the problem though: They don't have dumbells or machines (for rows), only kettlebells, barbells, prowlers, sleds, GHR, ropes, squat racks, benches, boxes, bands (they will be getting chains in upon my request). I use DB's and row/pulldown machine a lot in my current routine, so I'll need to change some things and adapt. I have a bad disc in my back so bent rows can possibly become a problem. Shoulders are an issue for me as well, so conventional pronated pullups are a no-no. Chinups are much better.

Can people help me reprogram my routine? Here it is in it's current form:

MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

MONDAY - Max Effort Upper Body (Day 1)

BB bench press – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
Incline DB Press: 2 sets of max reps (rest 3-4 min)
/ Seated Row: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
-superset-
Rear Delt flyes: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps /
DB shrugs: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps
Curlbar Curls: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

Conditioning: Prowler pushes / sled pulls

TUESDAY - Dynamic Effort Lower Body (Day 2)

Box Jumps: 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps
Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (extended ROM) : 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps
Glute-ham raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Spread-eagle sit-ups (holding DB over chest): 4 sets of 10-15 reps

THURSDAY: Repetition Upper Body (Day 3)

Incline DB bench press: 3 sets of max reps (rest 3-5 min. between sets) or 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Lat pulldowns X Band pull-aparts (or rear delt flyes): 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise
DB lateral raises: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
DB shrugs X Curlbar Curls: 3 supersets of 8-10 reps of each exercise
Wrist roller: 2-3 sets

FRIDAY - Max Effort Lower Body (Day 4)

Squats: work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
BSS or Step-Up Variation: 3 sets of 6-12 reps
Glute-ham raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit –Perform 10-20 reps of each (3-4) exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits

Conditioning: Prowler pushes / sled pulls

-----

Instead of incline DB press, I'm thinking kettlebell floor press. I could also do incline KB press for chest, but floor press might be more beneficial overall. Clearly they don't have seated row machine or lat pulldown machine either, but I can likely do chin-ups. Pullups are tough for me because of my shoulders, so not quite sure what to do. I also have a bad disc in my back so I need to be careful with bent rows.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sorry to be a pain, but Sean1332 Rodja SweetLou321 do you guys have any thoughts?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For rows (because of the potential for re-injury), I am thinking I can switch to chest supported barbell rows. I can then superset with band pull-aparts. I can also do KB rows (one sided) on the bench, same as DB rows.

DB chest press can easily be switched to KB chest press. This will also help me work on grip (thicker handles). I can add in KB floor press as well.

DB shrugs can be swapped out for barbell shrugs (normal on one day, behind the back variation on other day).

DB lateral raises - not sure what to swap out for this.

Curlbar curls, I can swap out for regular barbell curls.

How is this sounding?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Chest supported KB rows would be awesome. I like how you can get a better contraction. KB renegade rows are another good option, as are KB rows done like Kroc rows or regular one arm rows.

KB shrugs could work as well mixed in with the barbell shrugs, you'll just have to do them Meadows style to do more with less weight.

Light KB lateral raises or bent lateral raises would be great too. I'd probably hold them tightly so that the bell is outboard of your hands at the top. Should put a good amount of tension on the delt even with a lighter weight.

Lastly, if they have a good coach, learn and then throw in some KB swings, snatches, goblet squats, front squats, what have you. If the coaching isn't to your satisfaction, learn from a few videos online. KB swings are a phenomenal movement.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Chest supported KB rows would be awesome. I like how you can get a better contraction. KB renegade rows are another good option, as are KB rows done like Kroc rows or regular one arm rows.

KB shrugs could work as well mixed in with the barbell shrugs, you'll just have to do them Meadows style to do more with less weight.

Light KB lateral raises or bent lateral raises would be great too. I'd probably hold them tightly so that the bell is outboard of your hands at the top. Should put a good amount of tension on the delt even with a lighter weight.

Lastly, if they have a good coach, learn and then throw in some KB swings, snatches, goblet squats, front squats, what have you. If the coaching isn't to your satisfaction, learn from a few videos online. KB swings are a phenomenal movement.
Awesome this is what I want to hear! haha.. I'm a KB noob so all this is new to me. Thanks man.

I started doing KB swings last year, and it re-injured my back (disc herniation) and sent me into some crazy spasms. I was combining KB swings with 100 yard sprints (I have a football field nearby) and it sent me onto the ground for quite some time....and knocked me back about 2 months out of the gym and tons of rehab again. I'm scared to re-introduce KB swings again. Maybe at very low weight to start out?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
From what I've heard, if they are done properly they are easy on the spine. This has been my experience as well. Perhaps watch some technique videos from RKC certified people and start them up again with light weight focusing on doing them perfectly. Some pointers I have used: pack your shoulders from beginning to end, tight lats the whole time, be sure to hinge and brace correctly, And swing the bell as close to your nuts as possible.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks again. I'm almost certain my form was off (swinging too low), and my weight was too high. I think I started with a 53lb KB to learn with, not the best idea.

If I throw in KB swings again, I'll do them the Russian way. I'm not a fan of swinging overhead.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Honestly you'll probably be better off, sounds like they have a lot of great stuff and sounds just like where I train.

If anything the "difference" in stuff will get you out of the normal mindset and get you experimenting more and finding good things to use.

As the others have said most DB work can be replaced with KBs anyways. For more back work you can set up (with some configuing) barbell chest supported rows, use rings for ring rows, do ring pull ups instead of bar pull/chin ups (rings allow for a natural rotation as you pull and I find can be more beneficial for many people), do your ring work with false grip to build more grip strength, etc.

If anything look at it from the viewpoint that now you have lots of tools most people don't have (the room, sleds, ropes, rings, etc etc).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Very true. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity they are giving me. Most crossfit boxes will not give members free access to the gym anytime they want. There are only so many open gym times but they are giving me complete access to train on my own anytime they are open. They are new, so I'm sure this is why they are allowing it for me. (also since I do have experience and it might look good for new members to see people training in a more advanced way).

The change of equipment and scenery is really going to help me to become far more athletic, my main goal right now. It's definitely bringing me out of my comfort zone, but I'm loving everything new I am learning. It's completely changed my mindset about training and I know this will improve things tremendously for myself. My goal is to become strong (again), fast, agile, conditioned to tremendous amounts of endurance, while retaining size.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
do ring pull ups instead of bar pull/chin ups (rings allow for a natural rotation as you pull and I find can be more beneficial for many people), do your ring work with false grip to build more grip strength, etc.
If my pull-up strength is a bit weak right now, would you suggest doing banded pull-ups on the rings at first? Or just amrap and work up slowly?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not a huge fan of banded work for pull ups, but I wouldn't say you couldn't try it.

I prefer iso holds (bottom for grip, top for more back strength as long as in the proper position), eccentrics, and ring rows from different angles (maybe even rack chins) before banded work for most people though.