Lower back exercises

eshibu1999

Awards
What sort of exercises can I do to specifically target my lower back, that does not involved weights like dumbbells or Kettle bells, but it is still effective to give the lumbar a workout and to get the muscle stronger? (exercises that I can do at home)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Banded Goodmornings are great. Hyper-extensions if you can rig something allowing it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What sort of exercises can I do to specifically target my lower back, that does not involved weights like dumbbells or Kettle bells, but it is still effective to give the lumbar a workout and to get the muscle stronger? (exercises that I can do at home)
Exercises that you can do at home without weights? There's a ton of yoga poses that are great for this.

Bridges are really good and you can add weight with whatever you've got around your place.

Locust pose is really hard, and good to target the lumbar spine / lower back. Cobra pose, sphinx pose, up-dog. You can google a bunch, but yeah if you want to strengthen the lower back from home, this is a great way. You can hold these poses for a long time while watching TV, etc. I had to do these after a back injury and they are really effective for strengthening the lower back, and spine health.

If your lower back is weak, or you've suffered an injury, you won't want to do repetitive motion. Static holds will be the best.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hyperextensions on an exercise ball are a great place to start without weight and has the option of adding weight later. But as Gutterpump mentioned, there are a lot of yoga techniques that can help.