45+ year olds

kneal2

Awards
At 170 lbs and 46 years old, is it possible for me to add 10+ lbs of lean mass? I'm spending 90 minutes a day lifting & I don't seem to be able to add any definitive mass. Still eating quality foods non-stop so it's not my diet.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 170 lbs and 46 years old, is it possible for me to add 10+ lbs of lean mass? I'm spending 90 minutes a day lifting & I don't seem to be able to add any definitive mass. Still eating quality foods non-stop so it's not my diet.
Lifting longer or more doesn't mean more gains. I'm sure you will be able to add 10 pounds. Also "eating quality foods non-stop" doesn't mean much. Do you count your calories and "macros"?. Also you can't train like some 20 something young punk.

kneal2

Awards
Never been one to count calories.....high metabolism keeps me about the same weight if I eat 3000 or 1500 calories. But I am consistent in what I eat in terms of lean meats, greens/veg, etc so I can gauge I'm at 2300+ per day and upwards of 200 grams protein. And like you said, I'm not 20/can't lift like one so the gains are hard to come by.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never been one to count calories.....high metabolism keeps me about the same weight if I eat 3000 or 1500 calories. But I am consistent in what I eat in terms of lean meats, greens/veg, etc so I can gauge I'm at 2300+ per day and upwards of 200 grams protein. And like you said, I'm not 20/can't lift like one so the gains are hard to come by.
You can't just know how much you are eating magically without counting. There is a big difference between 1500 and 3000. You will have to start counting calories and macros if you want to find out why you are stalling. My suggestion is cut your volume down by half, start counting calories and macros. Just as a jumping off point start at 3000 calories per day and they protein at 200 grams. Just let everything else fill in, but start there. That's my suggestion.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
T-Bone is right on point here, you can use an app on your smart phone (I like Lose It ) and keep track of your food. Keep work outs between 45 and 60 minutes. And make sure you are getting some good quality protein with in 15-30 minutes after your workout. Keep researching and reading here on AM there maybe a supplement or two that can help you reach your goals.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lean mass= muscle. When I started lifting at age 46 I put on the most muscle the first year which is the norm I understand. Lifting gains take longer now.

A good program is the key, I think there is a difference between visible mass and muscle density.

Perhaps body types also is a difference. Then maybe Free-T is another input to contend with.

But to answer the question, if all inputs align properly then yes you can add 10lbs of muscle.

wfgallagher3

wfgallagher3

Awards
I think it is possible, as your bodyweight is moderate. What is your height?
90 minutes is a rather long time to lift. Is your program varied and intense? Do you incorporate both strength training and hypertrophy style workouts? What are your hormone levels like?
10lbs of muscle is possible with the required knowledge, first and foremost, followed with unwavering dedication, focus, and persistence.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it is possible, as your bodyweight is moderate. What is your height?
90 minutes is a rather long time to lift. Is your program varied and intense? Do you incorporate both strength training and hypertrophy style workouts? What are your hormone levels like?
10lbs of muscle is possible with the required knowledge, first and foremost, followed with unwavering dedication, focus, and persistence.

Let's not get caught up in numbers here. I think that is a big problem. Not sure he is even watching this thread anymore. He did say he lifts 90 minutes everyday. That's most like the problem. A lot of new guys think the more they lift the more they will gain. Hormone levels and type of workouts are something better saved for later on down the road. You have to build some type of foundation first before you go messin' around.