5/3/1 hybrid type program

jwstoick

Awards
Ok so I'm thinking about this for a 4 day split and will either be doing 5/3/1 style on the main movements/secondary or will be doing 3x3-5 on main and increasing the weight weekly and doing the 5x10 like 5/3/1s bbb does. I will be looking to hit everything twice a week so am going to be doing squats with back accessories, bench with shoulder acc. Deads with leg acc and OHP with chest acc. I'm looking for a hybrid program to keep growing while progressing in strength as well. This is what I'm thinking right now let me know your thoughts.

I will superset some exercises such as 5x10 squats with rows to make the lifts faster...I'm also looking for input on where to put abs/calves or if I should just do them on off/conditioning days.

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 or 3x5
Squat 5x10@60-65%
Pendlay row 3x8
Pull-ups 3x amrap
Straight arm push down 3x8-12

Tuesday
Bench 5/3/1 or 3x5
Bench 5x10@60-65%
DB lat raise 3x8-12
Face pull 3x20
Shrugs or upright rows 3x12-15

Wednesday
Off/cardio

Thursday
Deadlift 5/3/1 or 3x5
Rack pull 5x10
Front Squat 3x8-12
Single leg leg press 3x8-12
Leg curl 3x8-12

Friday
OHP 5/3/1 or 3x5
OHP 5x10@60-65%
DB press 3x6-10
Chest press 3x8-12
Cable flies 3x12-15

Another thing was instead of doing the 5x10 on the same day as the main heavy movement maybe moving it to the accessory day such as bench 5/3/1 then 5x10 of OHP and then OHP on Friday at 5/3/1 then the 5x10 of bench that day. Let me know your thoughts and what you would change. Thank you ahead of time for your responses!

jwstoick

Awards
Of course I would also throw some arm work in as well. Tris on push day and bicep on the two back/leg days

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and adding 5 x 10 - OHP on bench day and 5 x 10 - Bench on OHP day. I also do Squat 3 x 5 on Deadlift day. I don't run Deadlifts with the 5/3/1 structure though, and I only Deadlift once a week. I really like this setup at the moment. I think the added frequency is definitely beneficial.

Have you read the "Beyond 5/3/1" book? I really rate the inclusion of "Joker sets" and AMRAP.

I don't do 5 x 10 on squat day or Deadlift at the moment as I felt it was hammering me a bit too much with Squatting twice a week. I chose to do 3 x 5 Squat on Deadlift day as suggested in the "Advanced 5/3/1" routine in "Beyond 5/3/1". I don't find Bench or OHP beat me up quite as much.

jwstoick

Awards
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and adding 5 x 10 - OHP on bench day and 5 x 10 - Bench on OHP day. I also do Squat 3 x 5 on Deadlift day. I don't run Deadlifts with the 5/3/1 structure though, and I only Deadlift once a week. I really like this setup at the moment. I think the added frequency is definitely beneficial.

Have you read the "Beyond 5/3/1" book? I really rate the inclusion of "Joker sets" and AMRAP.

I don't do 5 x 10 on squat day or Deadlift at the moment as I felt it was hammering me a bit too much with Squatting twice a week. I chose to do 3 x 5 Squat on Deadlift day as suggested in the "Advanced 5/3/1" routine in "Beyond 5/3/1". I don't find Bench or OHP beat me up quite as much.
I just got the book but haven't read it fully yet since I've been busy working and with my summer class. How's my routine look though? I can make adjustments once I read the book more but if I were to do it how I have set up right now what are your thoughts?

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
I personnally would drop lateral raises and do pull ups. Not entirely keen on your OHP day either seems a bit overkill on pressing if you're actually going all out. I'm no expert but this is how I'm running mine at the moment......

Squat day
5/3/1
Joker sets
AMRAP

Leg Extentions SS Leg curl

Hyper Extension + weight

Bench day
5/3/1
Joker Sets
AMRAP

Overhead Press 5 x 10

Pull ups

Skull Crushers ss DB Hammer

Deadlift Day
Squat 3 x 5
Deadlift - Ed Coen programme

Overhead Press Day
5/3/1
Joker Sets
AMRAP

Bench
5 x 10

Reverse Cable Fly

Skull Crushers ss DB Hammers

jwstoick

Awards
I just read about the joker and first set last sets and like the sound of those. I'm probably going to do a bbb with those also incorporated

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
It's fine doing the boring but big after but I personally think it's best not to do the BBB with the exercise that was that days main exercise ie Bench day do OHP BBB and vice versa. Squat and Deadlift vice versa. I just think that there's more benefit from the frequency than there is the insane volume.

jwstoick

Awards
It's fine doing the boring but big after but I personally think it's best not to do the BBB with the exercise that was that days main exercise ie Bench day do OHP BBB and vice versa. Squat and Deadlift vice versa. I just think that there's more benefit from the frequency than there is the insane volume.
Yeah that's what I was planning. Might now even do bbb for OHP because I don't think they need that much work and instead of dreads for the 5x10 I'll probably do rack pulls

jwstoick

Awards
Although I don't think I have done strength training long enough to make small increases with 5/3/1 so am thinking of this with linear progression each week on the big lifts and will superset exercises for more volume

5x10 sets for OHP, Squat, Bench should be 50-60% of projected weight for heavy sets that week

Monday
Squat 3x5/abs
Pendlay Row 3x8/walking lunges 3x60sec
SLDL 5x10/pull-ups amrap
Straight arm push down 3x8-12/DB curl 3x12
Calves

Tuesday
Bench 3x5
CGBP 3x6-8/Lat raise 3x8-12
OHP 5x10/Face pulls 3x20
Pull-ups 3x amrap/ push-ups 3xamrap
Tricep finisher 2-3 rounds/calves

Wednesday Off/cardio

Thursday
Deadlift 3x5/abs
Squat 5x10/pull ups 3x amrap
Single leg leg press 3x8-12/DB Row 3x6-8
Wide cable row 3x8-12/hammer curl 3x8-12
Calves/abs

Friday
OHP 3x5/calves
Bench 5x10/Face pulls 3x20
DB press 3x6-10/Lat raise 2x12-15
Chest press 2x8-12/pull-ups 2x amrap
Skull crusher 3x6-10
OH tricep cable 3x8-12

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/3/1 with periodization bible is pretty much a hybrid program and I would start doing rows with your presses and not on lower body days.

jwstoick

Awards
5/3/1 with periodization bible is pretty much a hybrid program and I would start doing rows with your presses and not on lower body days.
Don't really wanna do the slow 5/3/1 progression when I know I can make quicker gains for now with linear progression. Also I like having back with legs because my upper body doesn't get super taxed like it does if I were to run an upper/lower split

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't really wanna do the slow 5/3/1 progression when I know I can make quicker gains for now with linear progression. Also I like having back with legs because my upper body doesn't get super taxed like it does if I were to run an upper/lower split
If you go with straight up linear periodization, it's no longer 5/3/1. And if you follow the slow progression it's still 120 pounds on your squat and deadlift in a year and 60 on your bench and OHP. Think marathon, not Sprint. Wendler spent 20 years training before he started making 5/3/1 and spent more years perfecting it. It's hard to outsmart a guy who's been at it for that long.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
I agree with herderdude. Just stick to the plan as it's been designed by a guy with a whole lot more proven knowledge and experience than us. With the inclusion of jokers, AMRAP's and if you're truly pushing you + sets then progress will be flying. I've set my pal up on that programme and he's not really done any proper training before. In 3 months he did a comfortable triple with a weight he couldn't do a single for. We're gonna test his maxes again next week and just tweak the training maxes if needs be. You can always adjust as you go but this programme is about continuous, steady progression.

jwstoick

Awards
Thank you guys for the feedback I'll sit down this weekend and figure out a 5/3/1 with some joker and amrap sets!

amarula

Awards
This advice is very important

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, i totally agree with the guys above. Stick to the program, it works for a reason.

smike

Awards
Sorry guys but I disagree. Since you think you can progress weekly then you should probably be doing a 5*5 programme for a while until you start hitting plateaus. Then you can move on to 5/3/1, which i also think is a very good programme.

jwstoick

Awards
Sorry guys but I disagree. Since you think you can progress weekly then you should probably be doing a 5*5 programme for a while until you start hitting plateaus. Then you can move on to 5/3/1, which i also think is a very good programme.
That's my though...Thank you

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's my though...Thank you
How long have you been training OP? My best linear run with 5x5 was something like 7 weeks. I've been training for a long time so your results may vary. 40lbs on your lifts in two months is impressive, but not as impressive as what I've seen consistently from patient, by the book implementation of 5/3/1. Your mind is already made up, so I guess this post will be more of an I told you so in six months.

jwstoick

Awards
How long have you been training OP? My best linear run with 5x5 was something like 7 weeks. I've been training for a long time so your results may vary. 40lbs on your lifts in two months is impressive, but not as impressive as what I've seen consistently from patient, by the book implementation of 5/3/1. Your mind is already made up, so I guess this post will be more of an I told you so in six months.
3 years steadily but only in the 8-20 rep range and just recently started going heavier. My lifts are only like 330 squat, 365 dead, 265 bench and 175 OHP

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 years steadily but only in the 8-20 rep range and just recently started going heavier. My lifts are only like 330 squat, 365 dead, 265 bench and 175 OHP
Yeah, I stand by my recommendation then. The progression will be good for you. Barring hands on coaching improving your technique tremendously in a short period of time, you'll stall out on linear periodizaton. The progression in in 5/3/1 will be your best bet in my opinion.

F0xx3r

Awards
Went 8 cycles before stalling and resetting training maxes (on 2 of the 4 lifts), addition of jokers and FSL amrap was useful... got strong fast, especially hitting the 3rd PR sets hard each week, will make your 1rm jump up.

Recommend changing up BBB scheme sometimes too, 5x5 @ 80% or the 5x3 @ 90% will help your strength, thrn grab your higher rep ranges on accessory work... or check out BBB variation 2 in his books.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the beyond 5/3/1 explains how you can vary 5/3/1 a bit but user nearly any type of accessory work. kind of like the conjugate system, you follow a standard pattern for the main lift and for accessory work you do what you need to do and want to do to make the main lift stronger. another big mistake is people do not change the accessory work when their weak links become strong points.