Best way to work out imbalances + uneven pumps??

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! I'm pretty new here and really liking the forums so far. I have a question. So a while ago I had a shoulder injury (right shoulder) and had to take a month off of lifting. Since I've been back I've been trying to go real easy on my shoulder. I think I have a trap imbalance now (left trap bigger) though because I always feel it more when I stretch on the left side and it also appears larger in the mirror. What is the best way to even this out? Just an extra set on that side? Or is there a better way? Also whenever I do chest I always get a bigger pump in my left pec. I pay close attention to my form so I don't think it's that. This has been going on since before my shoulder injury too. However it doesn't look quite as imbalanced as my trap. What do you guys think??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There's part of your problem. The dominant hand has a tendency to be both protracted and internally rotated.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
There's part of your problem. The dominant hand has a tendency to be both protracted and internally rotated.
Hence shoulder impingement I'm guessing?
And what can I do about this?

avega17

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem. My right shoulder is a little "loose" and by that I feel like it sits slightly lower, maybe slightly anterior, and connective tissue isn't as strong due to overuse injuries from playing baseball growing up.

I have difficulty properly contracting my right delt on shoulder days (mainly the medial and rear as my traps take over). On chest days, as much as I try to stay down and back with my shoulders, my right side seems to fall out of place somewhere along the movement at times and my push is asymmetrical.

I just finished an arms workout and I have noticed lately that I really have trouble properly contracting my right biceps (not so much the triceps) even though I try to stay down and back as well. When I try and flex my right biceps maximally, it just doesn't feel right (I'm not getting a strong contraction) and I have a pain my my elbow. I have to flex and extend a few times until the elbow joint sort of clicks into to place (I think the olecranon finds its niche in the fossa), and sometimes I just can't find the click at all. This is accompanied by anterior shoulder pain (thinking it's AC impingement) and a knot under my scapula where the teres major and lats tie in.

What can I do? Rodja

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem. My right shoulder is a little "loose" and by that I feel like it sits slightly lower, maybe slightly anterior, and connective tissue isn't as strong due to overuse injuries from playing baseball growing up.

I have difficulty properly contracting my right delt on shoulder days (mainly the medial and rear as my traps take over). On chest days, as much as I try to stay down and back with my shoulders, my right side seems to fall out of place somewhere along the movement at times and my push is asymmetrical.

I just finished an arms workout and I have noticed lately that I really have trouble properly contracting my right biceps (not so much the triceps) even though I try to stay down and back as well. When I try and flex my right biceps maximally, it just doesn't feel right (I'm not getting a strong contraction) and I have a pain my my elbow. I have to flex and extend a few times until the elbow joint sort of clicks into to place (I think the olecranon finds its niche in the fossa), and sometimes I just can't find the click at all. This is accompanied by anterior shoulder pain (thinking it's AC impingement) and a knot under my scapula where the teres major and lats tie in.

What can I do? Rodja
Thats what i think mine is too, ortho said the tendons and muscles surrounding the shoulder are just inflammed, but idk.. its just not completely going away. Some days its worse than others. I also have the same problem with my right bicep not contracting as strongly, but no elbow pain.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Now that I think about it, I've seen some videos where Cressey talks about anterior humoral glide and I think that might be some of the problem but I'm not sure if there's more going on. Basically the elbow sits in too tight to the body on pushing movements and rows, leading the humerus to roll forward in the GH joint, leading to impingement. I'm not sure if there would be any downstream stuff at the elbow or the biceps though?

Going to watch out for my elbows for now, try and get 30 degrees of air between the body and elbow.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

What can I do? Rodja
That adhesion is likely subscapularis and its difficult to relieve. A smaller medicine ball can work when you place it directly under the armpit with your body on its side. The biceps contraction problem is likely supraspinatus and its not allowing the biceps to fully supinate and rest in the proper position.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
That adhesion is likely subscapularis and its difficult to relieve. A smaller medicine ball can work when you place it directly under the armpit with your body on its side. The biceps contraction problem is likely supraspinatus and its not allowing the biceps to fully supinate and rest in the proper position.
I'm adding some upper body mobility work and dynamic warm-ups to my daily routine. What else can I do for the supraspinatus? Do you think this is associated with the elbow pain as well? What could be some possible causes for the adhesion?

Thanks a lot man. I've been battling with this for some time now, trying new things to find what works.