TUT studies

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey do any of you guys have any studies discussing TUT? I'm working on a project in school and I'm looking for some info displaying why TUT correlates to a greater increase in hypertrophy. I basically have to prove my point that to get bigger you don't need to be super-explosive.

jeep69

Awards
time under tension in my opinion has had too much emphasis put on it- in other words I think it is bullshit.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
time under tension in my opinion has had too much emphasis put on it- in other words I think it is bullshit.
from my personal experience it is ANYTHING but bullshit .. i've found that it makes a huge difference in muscle growth although i have no studies just my anecdotal evidence

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
from my personal experience it is ANYTHING but bullshit .. i've found that it makes a huge difference in muscle growth although i have no studies just my anecdotal evidence
AGREED!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who can argue with that?

:rolleyes:

Lets just throw out all Exercise and Physiology texts while were at it.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
What would be the ideal TUT for each set? If I'm using reps in the 4-6 range and stopping 1-2 reps shy of failure? Any opinions??

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
What would be the ideal TUT for each set? If I'm using reps in the 4-6 range and stopping 1-2 reps shy of failure? Any opinions??
45 seconds up and 2 1/2 minutes down :icon_lol:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I've gotta back up Glenihan here and say that I never experienced the size and strength increases I've had while going with a standard set/rep scheme. I used a 4x4, 1-0-3 tempo to give my muscles around 60 seconds under tension. After I've looked into this a little more, it seems the only reasoning behind the number of sets and reps is how long you keep your muscles under tension as most people spend barely a second per complete rep. TUT has definite merit!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I know Bobo's plan is TUT and god my muscles, especially back and legs feel so sore the next day. I think my chest and arms adjust fast to whatever workout im doing, but those big parts really take a beating on slow TUT.

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
Same here.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
I agree my muscles kill me after bobo's workouts.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MOOOOHAHAHAHAH! ;)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Posh Bobo's program is for a bunch of pansies.:run:

I was only sore for a week and a half after the first leg day.

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think your arguing your point from the wrong angle:

TUT is more important to glycogen pathways than to ATP/CP pathways, (basically the 12-15 and 15-18 rep ranges). Other energy pathways produce growth and strength increases differently and TUT is less of an issue.

Check out Lyle's board and Bryan Haycock's board for more on this:

www.bodyrecomposition.com

www.hypertrophyspecific.com

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually just read any Exercise and Physiology text. At least there you won't have things taken out of context.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually just read any Exercise and Physiology text. At least there you won't have things taken out of context.
Actually you'd be surprised how little most texts go into pure hypertrophy. The majority of the 3-4 books I have are driven towards performance for athletes.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most entry level books won't have much but the advanced texts have a very good amount.

Even in the entry level ones I had to buy had a decent amount. I guess it depends on what your class requires you to read.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Most entry level books won't have much but the advanced texts have a very good amount.

Even in the entry level ones I had to buy had a decent amount. I guess it depends on what your class requires you to read.
Bobo,

Have a list of good texts that you'd recommend?

Nutrition ones always welcomed as well ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will have to dig them out. They are still in storage from when I moved.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo,

Have a list of good texts that you'd recommend?

Nutrition ones always welcomed as well ;)
If you're really interested in the college texts/NSCA stuff, visit humankinetics.com. Human Kinetics basically publishes most of the superior books about exercise and performance (IMO).

A nutrition book I like a lot is Sport&Exercise Nutrition by McArdle, Katch, Katch. If you want what my friends and I refer to as "the Bible", buy NSCA's Essentials of Strength and Conditioning.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you're really interested in the college texts/NSCA stuff, visit humankinetics.com. Human Kinetics basically publishes most of the superior books about exercise and performance (IMO).

A nutrition book I like a lot is Sport&Exercise Nutrition by McArdle, Katch, Katch. If you want what my friends and I refer to as "the Bible", buy NSCA's Essentials of Strength and Conditioning.
Excellent.

Thank you bro.

Appreciated!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They have some decent texts. I get emails from them all the time.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. good/wonderful/great/excellent means good/wonderful/great/excellent :D

Some of their stuff is really good and some is not. So I averaged it :D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No. good/wonderful/great/excellent means good/wonderful/great/excellent :D

Some of their stuff is really good and some is not. So I averaged it :D
Gotcha.

Thanks!

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
what about this:
Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
byJohn Ivy, Robert Portman

The reviews say that the authors advocate the use of sugar post w/o.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most Ivy studies do but the majority are done on endurance athletes. Tipton's original studies used sugar as well but once compared with other sources there was no difference in protein sytnthesis rates.

Nobody ever stated high GI won't work. I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Most Ivy studies do but the majority are done on endurance athletes. Tipton's original studies used sugar as well but once compared with other sources there was no difference in protein sytnthesis rates.

Agreed here.

Been using low GI P/WO for about two years now. I'll NEVER go back to glucose. I honestly feel recovery is much more improved.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But everyone says you are wrong. Low GI doesn't work. Its all placebo :D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
But everyone says you are wrong. Low GI doesn't work. Its all placebo :D
Know something?

I could give a **** if it were. lol

I KNOW with Low GI the chance for adipose storage is relatively mimimal

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're wrong. You just are :D

It simply can't be true.

:lol:

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
lol, I remember trying to tell people how much better low gi is post workout and how the insulin spike everyone goes after post-wo using simple sugars is so small that it doesn't affect anything. low gi for life!! :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established

I think i was misunderstood, i just wanted to know if the book was any good. I didn't want to argue with the masterdebater. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think i was misunderstood, i just wanted to know if the book was any good. I didn't want to argue with the masterdebater. :D
Anything by IVY is good.