AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the proper way to foam roll. I've been doing it forever now, I have been going back and forth between two methods. Both methods I have read or watched from sources I think are reputable.

First, I had read to roll back and forth on a tender or tight spot for about 12-15 passes. The second is find a tender or tight spot and stay on it, maybe moving a tad, for 15-30 seconds.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmmm...interesting question. I think i kind of just do a hybrid of the two. Ive read each of those as well.

PILL

Awards
I do either of those until I can feel the muscle or knot relax.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I do both depending on which feels better. sometimes localization is a bit more effective but other times it's inferior to the actual rolling

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
The, "correct" way to preform self myofascial release is to find the most tender spot of the muscle (which indicates muscle hypertonicity) and apply pressure (with the roller, ball, etc.) for a minimum of thirty seconds. This will increase Goldi tendon organ (GTO) activity and decrease muscle spindle activity. Increasing activity of the GTO and decreasing activity of the muscle spindle will cause an autogenic inhibition response, causing the body to reset the proprioceptive mechanisms of the soft tissue. With all of the reset, the body can return to its normal and comfortable positions that will generate the greatest force when given a load.

In simple terms, you experience, "trauma" when working out or playing a sport or placing a stress on the body which causes the fascia to tighten into, what we know as, knots. In the same way a massage helps, placing a pressure on that knot for an extended period of time will cause signals to be sent to the brain, which then send signals back to the muscle/fascia to loosen back up and re-align in their original position. That is what we want haha

Hope that helps! I, like others mentioned above, do both ways as well, just because the constant rolling back and forth feels good to me. I always make sure I rest the roller on the tender spot for some time though.

I hope I could help! Good luck with recovery and SMR! Happy Training!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Robertson has a pdf file that's awesome. "Self myofacial release" or something like that. Goes over foam roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball etc...

Should be on scribd or somewhere like that.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Robertson has a pdf file that's awesome. "Self myofacial release" or something like that. Goes over foam roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball etc...

FOund it and downloaded it. Awesome from the quick glance I gave it. Thank you!

LDubs

LDubs

Awards

Awesome! Thanks!

bwyatt31

Awards
Kelly Starrett is by far the best in SMR and mobility work. Joe Defranco just had him on his podcast not long ago