Conditioning.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I just got through a sweet bulk period in which I gained a TON of mass, a lot of strength, and unfortunately a little bit too much fat. In addition, I'm feeling a little lethargic. I'm currently eating 4k calories per day, which has been cut down in the past few weeks from 5k calories, and I'm slowly cutting to roughly 3k-3500, the majority being from milk, beef, and sweet potatoes. I'm 5'5" and 181lbs, I'm guessing about 15%BF. My training is 5/3/1 "powerlifting for mass". Currently my only "conditioning" is really just using the stair stepper for 20 minutes after the training session, but that's mostly just a cool down for me.

I'm looking for ideas on how to incorporate some more intense conditioning at the end of my training sessions, and maybe some on my off days. I've thought about stationary bike and jump rope intervals, I don't have any hills around for hill sprints, and my gym doesn't have a prowler or a sled. I want to slowly get a little leaner and get in better "shape", without losing strength. Any ideas?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sprints or HiIt intervals on any equipment really. Your metabolism will be on fire.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The modality of the exercise won't be the biggest concern, I'd focus more on the execution of each. Depending on your specific goals and reasoning for your conditioning in the context of your training plan some HIIT will probably be a good option, while some lower intensity work may also be beneficial if done right.

If you have any rowers at the gym they can be an awesome substitute, but don't feel like you can't get it in just because you don't have the "cool" options or often talked about things like battle ropes, sleds, prowlers, etc. While I absolutely love those tools, bikes, ellipticals, steppers, etc. can all be effective tools when used appropriately.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
ive been doing hiit with DB or trap bar farmers carriers and jump rope

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Regarding HIIT, I just don't want to do anything that'll compromise my actual lifting routine. For example, I did a short kettlebell/farmers carry/sprint session with a few friends one time a couple days before deadlift day, and I had a seriously hard time hitting my numbers for the day. My form was breaking down, my ligaments and tendons were all out of wack, it just didn't feel right. Any suggestions on types of HIIT to do with 5/3/1? Like are there any programs that would fit well with it, or should I just go by feel?

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Thanks for the replies, guys. Regarding HIIT, I just don't want to do anything that'll compromise my actual lifting routine. For example, I did a short kettlebell/farmers carry/sprint session with a few friends one time a couple days before deadlift day, and I had a seriously hard time hitting my numbers for the day. My form was breaking down, my ligaments and tendons were all out of wack, it just didn't feel right. Any suggestions on types of HIIT to do with 5/3/1? Like are there any programs that would fit well with it, or should I just go by feel?
No one program fits all so I would go by feel. I know when I have extra fat, I'll lift in the morning then at night have a hard wrestling with friends of mine who are on my colleges team for ~two hours. I know you'll burn the fat off that way...I have been doing that for 10+ years

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Honestly, from your first post it seems like you're interested in "conditioning" to trim some fat. Eating in a deficit is gonna win that fight every day of the week.

If you genuinely want to improve your aerobic and/or anaerobic base, then refer to bolt's post above.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ive been doing hiit with DB or trap bar farmers carriers and jump rope
This and barbell complexes give me the modt intense cardio sessions. Nothing better than high rep compound movements with minimal breaks, it hits your body hard.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This and barbell complexes give me the modt intense cardio sessions. Nothing better than high rep compound movements with minimal breaks, it hits your body hard.
Kettlebell complexes work great as well

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Regarding HIIT, I just don't want to do anything that'll compromise my actual lifting routine. For example, I did a short kettlebell/farmers carry/sprint session with a few friends one time a couple days before deadlift day, and I had a seriously hard time hitting my numbers for the day. My form was breaking down, my ligaments and tendons were all out of wack, it just didn't feel right. Any suggestions on types of HIIT to do with 5/3/1? Like are there any programs that would fit well with it, or should I just go by feel?
Honestly, from your first post it seems like you're interested in "conditioning" to trim some fat. Eating in a deficit is gonna win that fight every day of the week.

If you genuinely want to improve your aerobic and/or anaerobic base, then refer to bolt's post above.
In reference to your post I'd echo swim here. If it is only fat loss then the eating will take precedent.

If it is conditioning understand at first it may impact your lifts at the start, but that most likely just means you really do need to do it (build a bigger base to increase ability to recover between workouts and foster long term volume increases). Also, keep in mind that conditioning work should be treated like lifting (for example a hard sprint session will hit your legs like a lower body workout), you have to slowly increase the volume of it to find the right "dosage" for where you are now and that going too much/too hard too soon will have a likely negative impact. Start slow, do less than you think you need, and build up.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
In reference to your post I'd echo swim here. If it is only fat loss then the eating will take precedent. If it is conditioning understand at first it may impact your lifts at the start, but that most likely just means you really do need to do it (build a bigger base to increase ability to recover between workouts and foster long term volume increases). Also, keep in mind that conditioning work should be treated like lifting (for example a hard sprint session will hit your legs like a lower body workout), you have to slowly increase the volume of it to find the right "dosage" for where you are now and that going too much/too hard too soon will have a likely negative impact. Start slow, do less than you think you need, and build up.
That's what I figured. So today I did a short sprinting session on a stationary bike: I did a 5 minute warmup at a moderate resistance, keeping no less than 90rpm the whole time, then I did 5 rounds of 3 seconds of sprinting at the highest resistance, then 1 minute of recovery cycling at a moderate pace, moderate resistance. Then I did a 7 minute cool down at a moderate resistance, no less than 90rpm, to make the whole thing last 20 minutes. My quads were pretty tired and my hip flexors were hella tight, but while I was stretching I just realized that my lungs are horribly behind. My lungs were the first to go in that.

What do you think about conditioning like that? It's the closest I could think of to hill sprints, which is what jim wendler recommends.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's fine just remember to treat that like a leg workout. So don't do it the day before a leg workout. Slowly build the duration of the sprint and or number of sprints over time.

If you do truly feel your lungs are holding you back maybe do some light cardio a couple times a week to serve as recovery sessions and do build an aerobic base, otherwise the high intensity work should help improve that as well.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ever thought of a boxing style workout?

1) Jump Rope
2) speed bag
3) heavy bag
4) shadow boxing combinations
5) inch worms
6) medicine ball twists and crunches

The heavy bag work alone will take your heart rate into high gear.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Ever thought of a boxing style workout? 1) Jump Rope 2) speed bag 3) heavy bag 4) shadow boxing combinations 5) inch worms 6) medicine ball twists and crunches The heavy bag work alone will take your heart rate into high gear.
I'll look into doing something like that. However I may get WAY into it and mess up my wrists, haha. I remember owning a heavy bag as a kid and I beat that thing relentlessly, but as a result my wrists paid a heavy price.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yesterday i loaded a quater of my usual working weight(approximate) on the barbell for squats and deadlifts. 135 lbs, and did 5 sets of 20 for both exercises for a total of 200 reps. 30 -60 sec rest between sets tops. This will give you great cardio and conditioning workout. I was dying. Cns was taxed for real

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Can you list the weights and intervals you use for this so I can get an idea. I'm interested in doing this.
No problem for today example I did
15 sec double under jump rope
20 decline situps
25 yard farmers carrier
Then a rest for 30 sec
Did five rounds of this. It is up to each person how long for jump rope distance for carriers and rest and rounds

avega17

Awards
  • Established
No problem for today example I did 15 sec double under jump rope 20 decline situps 25 yard farmers carrier Then a rest for 30 sec Did five rounds of this. It is up to each person how long for jump rope distance for carriers and rest and rounds
Gonna try it this week.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
No problem for today example I did 15 sec double under jump rope 20 decline situps 25 yard farmers carrier Then a rest for 30 sec Did five rounds of this. It is up to each person how long for jump rope distance for carriers and rest and rounds
That sounds like pure, absolute pain in a handbasket, and I can't wait to try it.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
I was sucking air big time