Need some help

rj_xo

Awards
Hey guys I'm currently studying to become a personal trainer online but there's a little bit I don't understand. Basically, when you get your first client, what does the first session consist of? Is it just a par-q form, finding out their goals and talking? Or do you actually develop a routine into the first session? Because how can you do that when you do not know then client, their goals, activity level, injuries/illness etc... If anyone could help me out that'd be great I'm just confused on how the first session is supposed to go & whether or not exercise is prescribed into the first session
Thanks!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you should leave it open with them or just discuss their goals and how often they train their diet etc on the first day and then get feed back and start the training the next session or after you get info from them.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
It's gonna be case by case bro. A good trainer needs to adapt to their clients. Ex: if you have a client who is 100% new to fitness, your discussion with them should be extensive and encouraging, while keeping it from becoming intimidating. Give them a small taste of what is to come, and build from there.
If you get a more seasoned client, who just wants a kick in the ass, you may be able to dive in quicker.
Above all, be encouraging and monitor their safety. Like I said, it's case by case. Good luck, hope that helped a little

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is often one of the most aggravating sessions in my experience as a trainer. These people are paying good money to the club that you work for or to you to be trained and often times do not realize the importance of establishing a game plan (eg: goal setting, discussing current goals, nutrition talk, etc). Which, be careful with your nutrition talk as you are not fully entitled to say eat xyz, only able to give examples/generalized recommendations. They want you to train them and it can be difficult for them to see the necessity of this first session to kind of just get to know each other and establish a plan. With that said, I do believe the first session should be your own evaluation of the client's abilities in terms of past medical/injury history as well as their abilities based on strength imbalances/postural issues as well as having this initial talk. People seem to be more agreeable to having this "get to know you" talk more when they are still being active in some way.

Edit: and as wrivest said above me, it will definitely be case by case taking exercise/training experience in to account.