Looking for people to weigh in on "pump" sets.

matt21irby21

matt21irby21

Awards
Ok so hopefully people know what this is. Its where you only go down on range of motion about 50-70% before you explode back up. Also you do them pretty fast. most pump set exorcises are very high reps. like 15-30. SOOOOO many people at my gym tell me they don't work. I listened to them for awhile. But I started noticng this guy at my gym who is a former competitor for body building shows. he does pump sets for literally everything he does. and I know he does AAS. but still. even doing gear, if pump sets were a waist of time then why would he do them at all? when low reps on gear would suite him better? I started doing pump sets every other week with my arm workouts just to see what they would do. my arms get HUGE! the pump is so great that I have to stop and take a break due to the fact that my arm feels like its about to burst. my vanes shoot out. and even thirty minutes to an hour after I finish all the workouts, I still cant bend my arms over my head to take my shirt off cause they are so pumped. I see so many people say pump sets are a waist of time. I disagree completely. but I wanted to hear what other people think about them

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think they have their place. Just like Full ROM sets, drop sets, tempo oriented sets, explosive contractions, negatives, etc. If all you did was Pump Sets, then sure, it is probably a waste. But to throw them in here and there or even regularly, is probably beneficial. Feed that muscle some blood!!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like arnold said its all about the pump haha or i think he said that. haha. but yea i love the pump and i think thats really when you get muscle growth and getting the blood in the muscles and doing volume work. Also i've been supplementing in some agmatine with my other NO booster and holy crap you get good pump. haha. I picked up some agmatine by SNS just cause my gym buddy started taking agmatine. But check SNS's agmatine out. Its nice
http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/agmatine-by-serious-nutrition-solutions
And in my opinion its defintiely about the pump. ha

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You need to rotate all the tools in your tool box. I keeps the body guessing and your mind from getting stale!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Depends on person. My biceps need a good pump and stretch from the swelling I feel, but triceps I barely ever achieve this and they are fine

matt21irby21

matt21irby21

Awards
Depends on person. My biceps need a good pump and stretch from the swelling I feel, but triceps I barely ever achieve this and they are fine
That's what I mostly focus my pump sets on is biceps. Last week each workout I did was three sets and I added just a little bit of weight each time.

Straight Bar Curls. Reps: 30-25-20
Incline Curls. Reps: 30-25-20
Preacher Curls. Reps: 25-20-15
Hammer Curls Across The Body. Reps: 30-25-25
Barbell Curls: 30-30-30 with a drop set on set 3

I never did any reps that even been considered high weight or moderate weight. But I also never did full range of motion on any of these. Went about 50ish percent down then immediately back up. Also I took maybe a little less then 30 second rests in between. My arms were so pumped. And I actually have new vanes now that never went away after doing this routine for a few months. But I never do the routine the same. I Change up which ones I do first and last every time. Don't get me wrong I still do heavy weight and moderate weight training. But my arms seem to react the best to pump sets. I wake up sore every time.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
The best thing I ever did for my arms was stop doing any reps below 12. My arms have gone from 18" a little over 20" over the last 2 years. Most competitors I know do a lot of pump sets, some like to still train heavy with low reps as well.

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Bulksupplements

1.5g agmatine
5g citrulline malate.

Monster pumps

max d

Awards
  • Established
I've commented on this on other threads but like some of the others have said I would not make this the base of your workout. I think the "pump" is over rated but anything that increases volume and overall time under tension will help hypertrophy. That being said I tried the fst-7 workout and didn't think it was too bad (doesn't involve the big 3 staples too much so I ditched it) but what I did like is after every major body part you basically do 7 sets of 7 with little rest between sets. If you want a pump that will do the job.... And mist importantly a quick way to add a ton of volume.