Hate Training Arms

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
I know it can only help but How do you prioritize arms training over an extra round of pullups, rows or shoulder work?

I generally do my main lift, supplemental lifts, accessories and im too fried for arms. Thinking of just tossing an arm day on a weekend day which i usually dont lift on.

How do yins go about it?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I finish off bi's after back rows.... hammer out dips after chest.... I hate dedicated arm day.... I do shoulders and upper back on the same day

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do triceps in warmups, my second movement, and towards the end on both of my weekly upper body days. Biceps I do hammer curls between sets of bench and as the last movement on upper body days. I used to skip biceps, but I've found it's very important to keep them limber and healthy no matter your goals.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know it can only help but How do you prioritize arms training over an extra round of pullups, rows or shoulder work?

I generally do my main lift, supplemental lifts, accessories and im too fried for arms. Thinking of just tossing an arm day on a weekend day which i usually dont lift on.

How do yins go about it?
Whats the end goal?

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
Thanks for the responses. My goal is to finally bench 3 plates. do MWF lifting day, 2 upper 2 lower rotation. More rest days than i used to have but as age keeps rollin...

I do agree that its important to work bis as it helps elbow pains....just really dislike it

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea something about that age just keeps popping up lately lol. Whats an example of how you structure your training day. Depending on the modes of exercise picked you may just need to ramp up the intensity or volume on some things.

I go off and on about dedicated lifting days towards arms but I have found that strengthening them during a bulk runs supreme and keeps the pain at bay from overdoing it. Floor Press, Weighted Dips, and getting the groove down on speed benching has helped my bench tremendously. The stability attained just hasnt been matched but each person will be different and you have been at this for awhile.

Never heard of anyone who didnt like working Bis lol

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I didn't have a dedicated arm day and didn't even run any bicep curl whatsoever for the first 5 yrs of consistent training.

After awhile though my body can handle the extra arm day and I do them now. My bis and tris did lag compared to my other body parts so it was also needed. If you are new then yeah I'd skip it and focus on compound lifts for now

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If your new i would agree just to try and build some strength for alittle and then switch it up and dedicate a day to arms to catch them up. But right now for me i have a bi/tri day so i dedicate a day solo to arms and it works for me.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This thread makes me realize I have not trained arms for years.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I have found that my bench was not what it could be because my arms were not strong enough to support the weight. I workout bi's and tri's now every week. I usually work bi's with back and tri's with chest. Sometimes I have done bi's and tri's together. Whatever the case may be, I train arms 1 time per week. Of course, they are trained all week through all the other lifts I do. I have noticed increased strength in other areas since I have dedicated time to bi's and tri's

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
Thanks all...basically what i figured. Haha. Think im going to try an extra day once a week for about a 20 minute arm session. I generally get 3 sets of bi and tri direct work at the end of upper days, but after a couple weeks i start skippin it more and more. Thanks again all

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My arms are my best feature and I don't train them nearly as much as larger muscle groups.

Prioritize the training of your back, shoulders, and chest. Your arms will get a lot of stimulation by training those larger muscle groups. Then you can supplement your arm training with specific arm exercises that allow full range of motion, which you often don't get while training back, chest, shoulders.

But I would recommend keeping the volume fairly low unless you just have great genetics and can deal with it. But I've often found that less is more as long as that "less" is very intense and efficient.

For example: Say I wanted to work chest and back on the same day... After I've completed my back and chest training I may have done something like 10-15 sets for back and 10-12 sets for chest.... Then I might do some supplemental arm work, but since my arms have already done a lot of work I don't need a lot of supplemental training. At this point I'm just looking to do a little bit of a full range of motion training. I may only do 2-4 total sets of triceps and 2-4 total sets of biceps. But remember that my arms have already done a lot of work while training my chest and back.

When I was younger and very interested in how my arms looked, I usually trained them by themselves. But eventually I discovered that I got more out of my workouts if I just did supplemental arm training after training larger muscle groups.

So again, focus on your larger muscle groups and supplement that with a lower volume of arm training. Less is more. You should get more response out of your arms than you would if you train them alone on their own day. As I've gotten older, training arms on their own day makes as much sense as training calves on their own day. Sure, you can do it that way, but there are much more efficient ways.

The muscle mass found in the chest and back is multiple times the amount found in the biceps and triceps. Train accordingly.