Pull ups vs. Seated Pull downs

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started expanding the pull up portion of the workout to include neutral grip and normal narrow grip to the regular normal wide grip. I alternate rows with pull ups. Is there any benefit to continuing with pull downs?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I prefer pull downs bc it allows me to add enough weight for some great resistance without straining my back with a weighted pull up

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree. More weight on pull downs unless u have a belt. And the strain it causes.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Weighted pullups works best for me but I still run around 5 sets on the pull down machine for warm ups before hitting my real pull up sets. The flexibility of light weights is the biggest upside of lat pulldown machines.

badwolf42

Awards
I much prefer weighted pull ups since there is no question about whos stronger. With pull downs everyone butchers it so much they get nothing out of it and think they are so strong because of it. There is really no cheating with weighted pull ups.

With that said i still do pull downs when I'm really trying to feel my lats during the lift. You don't have to choose one or the other. The back gets a lot of benefits from many different types of pulling so doing both at some point is probably good.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Pull-ups and pull downs might seem the same but the mechanics are different.

Pull-ups are the way to go. I do both but the pulldown's are at the end of my workout for a pump. Normally 15 to 20 reps on the pulldown's. I start with pull-ups doing an easy three sets of 10 to 12 to warm things up.

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
When i substitute pulldowns in for a block of time (a month to rest my shoulders) my arms and upper back get noticeably smaller. Pullups get my vote, but adding pulldowns later in the workout to squeeze the lats works great

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pull-ups and pull downs might seem the same but the mechanics are different.

Pull-ups are the way to go. I do both but the pulldown's are at the end of my workout for a pump. Normally 15 to 20 reps on the pulldown's. I start with pull-ups doing an easy three sets of 10 to 12 to warm things up.
I agree with this. I still do both because their similar but theres a difference in the motion.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do both, don't leave out either. You want to be well rounded depending upon what phase of training in in I either go:

A. Weighted Pull-ups in the 6-8
B. Moderate Weighted Pull-ups @ 8-12
C. Heavy Weighted Pull-ups @ 3-5

And then the next exercise would be pull-downs with varying grips in the higher range. If I did 6-8 pull-ups, pull-downs would be 10-12. If I go 8-12, I'll do PD 10-15.

Weighted Pull-ups will build your back like you wouldn't believe

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
I never do weighted pull ups and keep them 10-12 keep em easy, at 240+ Easy is relative but 12 is not hard. Then ill do heavy pull downs anywhere from 6-10. With the high rep set of 20reps with a light weight to full range of motion, pump and feel set.

Other exercises to but since We are talking about pull-ups and pull downs this is what I'll keep it to.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You could go all out Arnold and start every back routine w 50 non weighted pull ups. Do as many as u can then rest. Repeat until u hit 50

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Pull ups for sure. So many variations. Archer pull ups are killer!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would use the pulldown machine for warm ups and occasionally for supplemental exercises to pull-ups (i.e, close grip pulldowns with a v-bar, ect..).

Unless you have some type of physical disability the pulldown should never replace the pull-up.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You could go all out Arnold and start every back routine w 50 non weighted pull ups. Do as many as u can then rest. Repeat until u hit 50
I used to do this. It works well if you can do pull ups. If you can only do 3 or 4 at a time I wouldn't recommend it. I'd only do this if you can finish at least 12 to 15 reps on your first set.

But once you get good at pull ups you should start adding some weight. But don't have so much weight that you can only do two reps or so. I would usually add enough weight so I could do a few sets of 8 to 12ish, and maybe one especially heavy set of 5-6.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I prefer pull-ups

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both!

I never understand why people say which one? Both are good. Why not both? It's easy to incorporated both.

Pull down for me is good to super set with diff hand grips.

Pull ups is great. Can't never take that away period.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Both!

I never understand why people say which one? Both are good. Why not both? It's easy to incorporated both.

Pull down for me is good to super set with diff hand grips.

Pull ups is great. Can't never take that away period.
True
It's always amusing when someone can do heavy pull downs but can't do any pull-ups

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True
It's always amusing when someone can do heavy pull downs but can't do any pull-ups
As long as you stimulate the muscle who cares how.many pull ups you can do.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
As long as you stimulate the muscle who cares how.many pull ups you can do.
Well it matters quite a bit if you are working out for more than just aesthetics

Pretty sad if you workout but can't even pull your own body up

On another note if you can do all the pull downs in the world and if you suck at pull-ups then clearly you have a lot more muscles you need to start stimulating

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well it matters quite a bit if you are working out for more than just aesthetics

Pretty sad if you workout but can't even pull your own body up

On another note if you can do all the pull downs in the world and if you suck at pull-ups then clearly you have a lot more muscles you need to start stimulating
I've never seen anyone not be able to do a pull up, if they are doing heavy pull downs.

It is sad, but once again, who cares? Pros don't do pull ups, Dennis wolf uses the assisted pull up machines because its all about correct stimulation.

For example, I can dip with an added 2 plated but stimulate my chest better on assisted dips. So I do assisted dips. Why would I just do something if it doesn't add to my physique or training?

However, I do enjoy warming up with regular pull ups, but as a mass builder there are better options.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen anyone not be able to do a pull up, if they are doing heavy pull downs.

It is sad, but once again, who cares? Pros don't do pull ups, Dennis wolf uses the assisted pull up machines because its all about correct stimulation.

For example, I can dip with an added 2 plated but stimulate my chest better on assisted dips. So I do assisted dips. Why would I just do something if it doesn't add to my physique or training?

However, I do enjoy warming up with regular pull ups, but as a mass builder there are better options.
I think pointing out what one pro does or does not do is pretty irrelevant for what is true in general

There are plenty of people that can do pull downs but not pull-ups

There are plenty of pros that do pull-ups and are capable of doing pull-ups

Not trying to argue bud just saying for people in general pull downs only go so far and it's important to at least be able to do pull-ups because if you can't then you are probably training around some pretty glaring weaknesses which if not corrected can lead to injury when performing other exercises that may depend on those muscles

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think pointing out what one pro does or does not do is pretty irrelevant for what is true in general

There are plenty of people that can do pull downs but not pull-ups

There are plenty of pros that do pull-ups and are capable of doing pull-ups

Not trying to argue bud just saying for people in general pull downs only go so far and it's important to at least be able to do pull-ups because if you can't then you are probably training around some pretty glaring weaknesses which if not corrected can lead to injury when performing other exercises that may depend on those muscles
For shizLe, its to early to argue lol. Well one or many pros. But I'm sure they can do pull ups on their own.

Different stabilizers and smaller muscles are involved in the pull up versus the pull down.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
For shizLe, its to early to argue lol. Well one or many pros. But I'm sure they can do pull ups on their own.

Different stabilizers and smaller muscles are involved in the pull up versus the pull down.

:)

tommurph

tommurph

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys prefer to do weighted pullups? Currently I use a backpack with a dumbbell placed in it. Do the dip belts work for this?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
True It's always amusing when someone can do heavy pull downs but can't do any pull-ups
Lol that's because they use force and other body parts to assist

bigchaser

Awards
I do seated pull downs wide grip 3 or 4 sets 8-12. 180,210,235 then light full range set.

Seated rows close grip same weight and reps.

Then standing db rows 110,115,120

Machine seated upright pulls 210 set of 10 with 4 count neg. Three sets

Then seated one arm rows full range motion 110- 8-12 three sets.

Weighted pull ups sound like a great idea. Thank s guys.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Explain, seriously I want to know lol
Simple.

You stimulate 2 pull ups And I do 10 pull ups. Obviously correctly who will see better results?

Also tell me who will do any exercise and stimulate 3 reps of whatever? Of course more is better. Who will want to just stimulate a low rep?

Idk how this had to be explained.

Tell me what pro does less than 6 reps. Lol

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do seated pull downs wide grip 3 or 4 sets 8-12. 180,210,235 then light full range set. Seated rows close grip same weight and reps. Then standing db rows 110,115,120 Machine seated upright pulls 210 set of 10 with 4 count neg. Three sets Then seated one arm rows full range motion 110- 8-12 three sets. Weighted pull ups sound like a great idea. Thank s guys.
Smart man.

But eatmoar said just stimulate the muscle, doesn't matter the reps lol

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It is generally amusing to see say a 185lb man rack entire machine for pull downs thinking he is Billy Bad A$$. Using all the momentum and body language in the world just to sit down and get his legs under the pads. Yet same guy can't do a pull up. This is a fact and I was "That Guy". Wrist wraps and all. Hanging from pull down bar an having my spotter hold my shoulders down so u could get my thighs under the pads. Felt like a hero til I realized I couldn't do 5 pull ups

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On point ^^

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line without getting into mumbo jumbo..pull ups will always be better than pulldowns

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simple.

You stimulate 2 pull ups And I do 10 pull ups. Obviously correctly who will see better results?

Also tell me who will do any exercise and stimulate 3 reps of whatever? Of course more is better. Who will want to just stimulate a low rep?

Idk how this had to be explained.

Tell me what pro does less than 6 reps. Lol
Maybe its because its 5am over here but I didn't understand that at all.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe its because its 5am over here but I didn't understand that at all.
Lol! The whole point was just stimulation is important but reps are important as well and does matter

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol! The whole point was just stimulation is important but reps are important as well and does matter
Lolol **** waking up for 4am for work. I understand what your saying, I never said just stimulation is important, obviously rep ranges are important lol.

I also reread what you wrote just now, it makes sense ..yes I can comprehend information now!

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lolol **** waking up for 4am for work. I understand what your saying, I never said just stimulation is important, obviously rep ranges are important lol. I also reread what you wrote just now, it makes sense ..yes I can comprehend information now!

Lmfao!! No worries brotha. I feel your pain. I used to work and wake up at 2:45am. Horrible

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I did BB yesterday and it went pull ups, rows, pull downs, pull ups, rows, pull downs, pull ups, rows and done-destroyed. Different grips on every repeat than previous. Amazing how much more strength I have at the beginning compared to the end of a workout.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Holy hell, were you a mailman or something? That's insane.
Lol nah. I worked in the city and to commute to work was a b!tch. Driving was expensive so mass transit was the only way. I worked in hospitality.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The last 4 months working I drove everyday lol. Spent min $30 per day just to go to work. Got lazy and hate trains.