Best personal training organizations

bux4source

Banned
Awards
What are some of the most respected and reputable organizations where you can get your
personal training certification? What is the average cost and time need to complete course?

Gills224

Awards
nsca and acsm are the only 2 worth getting, and the tests are extremely hard. I wouldn't waste your time unless you're a sports and exersise science major. I know people with degrees in that area who have failed both tests.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
nsca and acsm are the only 2 worth getting, and the tests are extremely hard. I wouldn't waste your time unless you're a sports and exersise science major. I know people with degrees in that area who have failed both tests.
Ok so you're saying that the only way you should try and be a personal trainer is if you've already got your degree in ex science. Come on bro, i'm in college right now and making damn good money training and don't have one of the above certifications. Are they the best in the business possibly, are they the only ones worth getting definately not.

For someone w/a degree in a fitness related field yeah go w/one of the above but for the rest of the poplulation there are tons of good certs out there.

Gills224

Awards
You'll find that the people who are acsm, nsca certified will tell you which cert they have, the others won't mention it. If you really want to know what you're doing get1 of those certs, if not then get issa or something that you have a test online where you can use your book, and learn nothing.

I wouldn't advise anyone to get another cert simly because unless you plan on making a career out of it, there isn't much money to be made. Even if a career is your choice, only the top few percent of trainers in the U.S are wealthy from being a pt.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You'll find that the people who are acsm, nsca certified will tell you which cert they have, the others won't mention it. If you really want to know what you're doing get1 of those certs, if not then get issa or something that you have a test online where you can use your book, and learn nothing.

I wouldn't advise anyone to get another cert simly because unless you plan on making a career out of it, there isn't much money to be made. Even if a career is your choice, only the top few percent of trainers in the U.S are wealthy from being a pt.
Sounds like you have it all figured out huh?

Listen man... Nothing is abselute. There are always exceptions, and conditions change depending on the demograghics of where you live. Also, for some, for whatever reason, colledge is not an option.

I have an ACE certification and I am a dam good trainer. I'm sure you won't find any shortage of members here that will attest to that. Also, I have worked with and run circles around my share of trainers with degrees.

Bottom line, 90% of what you learn that will be useful to you will be learned out in the field. Not sitting in a class.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, the owner of my gym is a c.s.c.s and he just told me the other day he would hire anyone w/an ace cert on the spot. Bottom line is you either know what you're doing or you don't. Your cert is just your foot in the door.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I got my certification through nsca and the test was not that hard...it was just like taking another standarized test in high school. I took it before I really started taking any of my ESS classes and the book/audio they give you is very straight-forward as to what is expected to be known for the test. I think the main advantage of having certain certifications is the reputation that the organization has.

Gills224

Awards
Sounds like you have it all figured out huh?

Listen man... Nothing is abselute. There are always exceptions, and conditions change depending on the demograghics of where you live. Also, for some, for whatever reason, colledge is not an option.

I have an ACE certification and I am a dam good trainer. I'm sure you won't find any shortage of members here that will attest to that. Also, I have worked with and run circles around my share of trainers with degrees.

Bottom line, 90% of what you learn that will be useful to you will be learned out in the field. Not sitting in a class.
So you're claiming that you wouldn't know anything more than you know now if you had a 4 year degree in sports and exersise science?

There's a reason people with a degree have a advantage over everyone without one in the corporate world.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Gills, you must not know a lot, I know a lot of people who have the credentials for things on paper but have no practical knowledge. Some degrees don't mean ****!

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
So you're claiming that you wouldn't know anything more than you know now if you had a 4 year degree in sports and exersise science?

There's a reason people with a degree have a advantage over everyone without one in the corporate world.
No. Do not put words in my mouth. :nono:

What I'm claiming is that for some, having a colledge degree is not the measure of what makes a good trainer. Neither is the type of cert one has. So, stop making coments that stroke your ego by putting you into some elitist club.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'm NASM and it's highly respected in gyms and clubs. You also have to go somwhere to be tested it's not an online test. Most of what is applied in the gym you will learn in the field and from other trainers who have been around a while. Also read as much as you can and it's not a bad idea to buy some of the texts from college courses.