Favorite Ab Workout/Exercise

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
Trying to get some new ideas to try on ab training. What is everyones favorite ab workout, and how often do you do it, rep/set range, etc?

Also, any experience on things you have learned that do NOT work for you?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Abs are made in the kitchen"

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Abs are made in the kitchen"
not really... Abs are built in the gym using heavy, compound movements as well as weighted, core targeted exercises. The lower bodyfat you are the less fluff will be covering a well developed midsection. So it's more like "abs are built in the gym, but revealed by the kitchen"

Unless OP wants justin bieber abs then yes, those abs are made in the kitchen

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
Lol no, ideally i want to develop larger abs. My abs have always been very small.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
not really... Abs are built in the gym using heavy, compound movements as well as weighted, core targeted exercises. The lower bodyfat you are the less fluff will be covering a well developed midsection. So it's more like "abs are built in the gym, but revealed by the kitchen" Unless OP wants justin bieber abs then yes, those abs are made in the kitchen
If you don't eat adequately you won't gain any mass on those abs even if you do lift bro. Diet>

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Back to programming. I like weighted crunches, ab rollouts, and stomach vacuums.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In all seriousness, I rarely do ab work. I lift heavy compounds with some isolation work, and I have a 6 pack. Focus on building the rest of your body and the abs will come in.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
how many sets and seconds do you do?
3 sets and go for as long as I can hold it. Don't want to do too many of these as it tightens you up, but too tight can be bad.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you don't eat adequately you won't gain any mass on those abs even if you do lift bro. Diet>
completely agree, but you cannot tell me abs can be nicely developed, without proper training, by only manipulating total Kcals and macros? I was just pointing out that the first response was the stereotypical "it's all diet" when in fact training that has an emphasis on hypertrophy as well as muscular strength plays an equally important part in developing abs.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
completely agree, but you cannot tell me abs can be nicely developed, without proper training, by only manipulating total Kcals and macros? I was just pointing out that the first response was the stereotypical "it's all diet" when in fact training that has an emphasis on hypertrophy as well as muscular strength plays an equally important part in developing abs.
To be fair you are all wrong. Abs are built by stem cells as they have always been there since you matured. To see them is 100% diet, but if you want them developed it would be a 90% diet and 10% training... 80/20 rule.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
If someone could make synthetic stem cells it would be one of the most innovative inventions, especially if we figured out how to use them to increase muscle synthesis