Think back to when you first started training and.........

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
You realized that once you started training , most people who would tell you they worked out, you realize they don't really train at all. These people used to say "Yeah I go to the gym. I enjoy lifting."

But then as you got more involved in training, you then saw that they really didn't go to the gym as much as they wanted you to believe before you started going yourself.

My point of this thread is that I just find it amazing how most people who tried to impress you with "oh I lift" , well when you start going and dedicating yourself to the sport of bodybuilding, you then see how undedicated these people really are. They may go to the gym a day or two a week at most. Then when you run into them they expect you to be able to look at them in the eye with a straight face. I just don't understand why people try to talk a big game but they don't walk the walk but love to talk the talk.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get a kick out of the people that say " I used to lift" most these people are younger than me..

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So the real point of this thread is to make you feel better about yourself.

Who cares if someone else goes to the gym?

"They may go to the gym a day or two a week at most. Then when you run into them they expect you to be able to look at them in the eye with a straight face."

You serious?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't dedicate myself to the sport of body building so my dedication is lacking. I bow down.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
The point I am making here is that some people are dedicated and some are not. I am willilng to endure the most pain to get my sessions in per day. For example last night it took me 3 hours to fall asleep because I have an absessed tooth which Im going to the dentist today for. Did I use that as an excuse to not go to the gym? **** no. I manned up and got my lift in today and went as hard as my body would allow me. I felt like throwing up the entire time but I Said "This will pay off in the long run so do this!"

Thank god for my water bottle with cold water in it. I had to sip on it the entire time to numb the pain of my tooth.

I am HUNGRY. Eye of the ****in Tiger!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And my point is that the word dedication is completely subjective and just because you decide to go to the gym while in pain doesn't make you any better than the next person. Stop worrying and caring about what the person next to you is doing because all it looks like is someone wanting a pat on the head and a cookie.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
image-2829629510.jpg

Ohhh, you went to the gym with a toothache today? Tell me more about this "eye of the tiger."

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The point I am making here is that some people are dedicated and some are not. I am willilng to endure the most pain to get my sessions in per day. For example last night it took me 3 hours to fall asleep because I have an absessed tooth which Im going to the dentist today for. Did I use that as an excuse to not go to the gym? **** no. I manned up and got my lift in today and went as hard as my body would allow me. I felt like throwing up the entire time but I Said "This will pay off in the long run so do this!"

Thank god for my water bottle with cold water in it. I had to sip on it the entire time to numb the pain of my tooth.

I am HUNGRY. Eye of the ****in Tiger!
Way to go!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

:)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ohhh, you went to the gym with a toothache today? Tell me more about this "eye of the tiger."
That pic is pure inspiration right there!

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thread helps me realize how blessed I am with my health.

I really do not believe that lifting is a sport unless you are crossfit competition, push pull contest etc.

Most guys I know lift to be healthy and get stronger. Unless you are an athlete, but going to the gym to improve body comp/ lose weight does not make you an athlete IMO. I was a pro golfer for 9 years and trained for golf, a lot different then a lifter/cardio bunny trying to lose lbs or look good.

/healthy lifestyle

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As someone's signature says " I Do This For Me" pretty much sums it up!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As someone's signature says " I Do This For Me" pretty much sums it up!

This is perfect. It is like Quest said, list people should be lifting to take care of themselves. For me the thing that draws me toward resistance training is that I don't compete with anybody but myself. Every week I try to get a little bit better.

But the reason I lift is different....it is so that I can live a better quality of life. I have a grandmother who cannot walk anymore at 88 years old, a dad who has failing knees and has trouble walking in his 60's and I realized I was on that same road at 5'8'' and 290 pounds. I realized the quality of life that we give up to save even 2 hours a week in the gym.

Once people find their reason for.doing this for themselves, they will be much mire successful.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Thread helps me realize how blessed I am with my health.

I really do not believe that lifting is a sport unless you are crossfit competition, push pull contest etc.

Most guys I know lift to be healthy and get stronger. Unless you are an athlete, but going to the gym to improve body comp/ lose weight does not make you an athlete IMO. I was a pro golfer for 9 years and trained for golf, a lot different then a lifter/cardio bunny trying to lose lbs or look good.

/healthy lifestyle
Remember the Golden Bear Tour in Florida? That was a good one and I wish it was still around. I competed in pro golf as well when I was younger too.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did hooters tour, nfpga...was a country club pro for 9 years.

Ascic1

Awards
Not everyone that goes to the gym is as hardcore as a bodybuilder, where they dont drink, never miss a meal and actually plan out every single aspect of their day. Some just want to be a little bit more healthy than they were the day before. Others just wanna be slightly more attractive to pick up women at the bar. Who knows what each specific person wants. I originally started lifting to curb my anger management issues which evolved into bodybuilding to give myself purpose in direction. The gym is to each, their own.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I did hooters tour, nfpga...was a country club pro for 9 years.
I did a few events on the Hooters Tour as well but mostly competed on the mini tours in Florida in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Along with multiple Monday qualifying events. Also went up and did some Dakota Tour events in Minot at Minot Country Club and outside of Williston at the Links of North Dakota. I hope you are having a good day.