Shoulder Pain

PILL

Awards
I've always had shoulder issues, but it's never been bad enough to make me want to avoid working chest or shoulders. That was until these last few weeks. I've taken two weeks off from pressing movements, but it hasn't gotten much better. During pressing exercises I am getting a sharp pain in the posterior or lateral side of my left shoulder. It's hard to tell when I am pressing so i say "or". I had shoulder mobility issues about a year ago, but got to where I can do a correct overhead press without any lordosis or compensations.

I discussed it with a trainer buddy and he suggested something in my upper back may be too tight and is causing the shoulder issues. I've been using a lacrosse ball and foam roller to massage my teres minor, teres major, and my infraspinatus. I've been doing this for about a week and a half, but it hasn't changed much. I've checked to make sure I am packing the shoulder during presses and have done my best to avoid any shoulder protraction, so as far as I know my pressing is pretty correct.

Sorry about all the anatomy terms, but I don't really know how to explain what I am talking about without being overly wordy and confusing.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to go to a professional, but I doubt my insurance will cover it...

wray98

wray98

Awards
It could be a few things, I had a similar issue going on not long ago and it was a pinched nerve. When i would do presses it felt like someone was putting an ice pick in my lateral head. Every other exercise was perfectly pain free. I hope you get it taken care of man! Depending on your insurance, they should cover it. Mine was covered and I went to a chiropractor to get the issue resolved.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Ive had continued shoulder issues after a surgery that caused an imbalance. I read up and saw that in order to keep good shoulder health you should have a 2:1 ratio of back/pull and presses. Since I have started doing that it has helped tremendously. Hope you get your issue figured out!

PILL

Awards
I've thought about the whole push to pull ratio, but I already pull more than I push. I also move more weight pull than I do pushing

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I've thought about the whole push to pull ratio, but I already pull more than I push. I also move more weight pull than I do pushing
I've been told by my doctors the same thing but like you I know my back is my strongest point. I still do all the PT exercise and stretches but from experience only rest would heal my injury.

Good luck w/ yours man

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is the pain from all pressing or just flat/incline pressing?

PILL

Awards
Pull-ups and rows occasionally cause aching, but I believe that is just from doing push pull workouts.

When I do them completely separate there is no pain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doesn't sound like an impingement of the biceps tendon. Stretch the lats often and continue to ice the joint.