Nephew who is 14 squatted 300

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I'm so proud I got my nephew into weight lifting. He just turned 14 and is 132 pounds. Range of motion is not full because he only has a home gym but still

image-3419101892.jpg

Attachments

smike

Awards
I wish i had an uncle like that 25 years ago!

Congrats and keep up the good work.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I wish i had an uncle like that 25 years ago! Congrats and keep up the good work.
Thanks, I don't know whether to tell him to pursue bodybuilding or powerlifting. He's not very big but strong as can be. He benches 200+, squats 300, and deadlifts 335

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I don't know whether to tell him to pursue bodybuilding or powerlifting. He's not very big but strong as can be. He benches 200+, squats 300, and deadlifts 335
Well shouldn't the decision of what he wants to pursue his? Maybe he just wants to be big. Or just strong. Even both, it's like having cake and eating it too. I'd say if he isn't already get him on a hybrid program for strength/size so later on he can decide and make sure he is feeding those gains for that size. The winter is coming, the bulk is real.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At his age, a base of strength and learning how to eat for size should serve both masters. Instill in him that his 5RM is more important than his 1RM at this stage of the game, and when he feels like making a decision, he can make it.

Also, instill DEPTH before weight. He needs a spot and he'll benefit from full range squats far more than those high squats. I spent years squatting relatively light but deep and for high reps (295 for four sets of twelve after some years), and when I began training for powerlifting, it was only a matter of months before I was squatting 455. Couldn't have been done without years of deep squats for reps to build a base. EDIT: I do understand the fear of depth, though. I recently unearthed a video of me beginning to push for heavier weight from a couple years back, and my first foray with 345 was sky-high.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
At his age, a base of strength and learning how to eat for size should serve both masters. Instill in him that his 5RM is more important than his 1RM at this stage of the game, and when he feels like making a decision, he can make it. Also, instill DEPTH before weight. He needs a spot and he'll benefit from full range squats far more than those high squats. I spent years squatting relatively light but deep and for high reps (295 for four sets of twelve after some years), and when I began training for powerlifting, it was only a matter of months before I was squatting 455. Couldn't have been done without years of deep squats for reps to build a base. EDIT: I do understand the fear of depth, though. I recently unearthed a video of me beginning to push for heavier weight from a couple years back, and my first foray with 345 was sky-high.
The bench actually won't move so that's the full range he can go. And all maxes stated are three rep maxes as that's what I believe should be a real max. He wants my opinion as I'm his father figure (his dad died in Iraq) but I just want to see him excell

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is great. I think he should just focus on doing what he likes. The thing about lifting weights is that it isn't so much about where you go, it's getting there that's important. The weights build honesty with yourself, which is something most people don't even realize they lack.

Not to be a naysayer....that bench setup for squats looks dangerous to me. If you have to dump the bar, it's not gonna be good. I'd rather have nothing to worry about other than me and the bar. If it hits the bench, one end is going to come up and you won't know which one until it's too late. Not to mention that the crutches probably can't handle much more than what he's already using for weight. Time for a power cage I'd say....which I know is expensive.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
That is great. I think he should just focus on doing what he likes. The thing about lifting weights is that it isn't so much about where you go, it's getting there that's important. The weights build honesty with yourself, which is something most people don't even realize they lack. Not to be a naysayer....that bench setup for squats looks dangerous to me. If you have to dump the bar, it's not gonna be good. I'd rather have nothing to worry about other than me and the bar. If it hits the bench, one end is going to come up and you won't know which one until it's too late. Not to mention that the crutches probably can't handle much more than what he's already using for weight. Time for a power cage I'd say....which I know is expensive.
Times are tough, I'm telling him he should just lift at his high school gym.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Times are tough, I'm telling him he should just lift at his high school gym.
I hear that man. I know the bench probably gives him a false sense of safety....but once he has some experience, he will see it is not safe at all...haha.

Good job helping him learn though!

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I hear that man. I know the bench probably gives him a false sense of safety....but once he has some experience, he will see it is not safe at all...haha. Good job helping him learn though!
Thanks, and I think I'll build him a in home gym, will take some capital but worth seeing the look on his face when it's done.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, and I think I'll build him a in home gym, will take some capital but worth seeing the look on his face when it's done.
Could try to get some support on gofundme. Defiantly hit up craiglist, some damn good deals there.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Could try to get some support on gofundme. Defiantly hit up craiglist, some damn good deals there.
I have and old bench and power rack. I'll get him a treadmill and some dumbells. Throw some air conditioning and a mirror to mire his gains... And we have a decent home gym

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I have and old bench and power rack. I'll get him a treadmill and some dumbells. Throw some air conditioning and a mirror to mire his gains... And we have a decent home gym
Also isn't there a thread about home gyms, can you link me to it if you know what I'm talking about.

smike

Awards
Lifting_Dad posted a few DIY's a couple of pages back. I think he might be able to help you.

Also i hadn't seen that he was squating over the bench! That makes it even more impresive!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seriously, if you have a bench and a power rack, with the barbell set that he has, you are mostly there. I have a leg press and a lat pull down machine in addition to this, and a leg extension attachment for my bench - but those don't see all that much use. The bench, the rack and the barbell/dumbbells are plenty for a home gym. At least he won't be squatting on a bench.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 8
bigbeef Training Forum 10
daniel35 MMA 22