'Ab Vacume' as an exercise

Crotalus

Awards
In the old days of bodybuilding , when the top guys didn't have abs the size of their biceps, you'd see a number of them use this pose in their routines . Frank Zane did this probably as good as anyone.

I heard somewhere that this ' vacume ', when used as a midsection exercise was great for working the inner abs that are actually responsible for giving you a flat(er) stomach .

Has anyone here ever used this as an exercise and how did you incorporate it ; sets and number of reps or just holding it as long as possible ? Also , what were your results - worthwhile doing for the results you got or was it a waste of time ?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
In the old days of bodybuilding , when the top guys didn't have abs the size of their biceps, you'd see a number of them use this pose in their routines . Frank Zane did this probably as good as anyone.

I heard somewhere that this ' vacume ', when used as a midsection exercise was great for working the inner abs that are actually responsible for giving you a flat(er) stomach .

Has anyone here ever used this as an exercise and how did you incorporate it ; sets and number of reps or just holding it as long as possible ? Also , what were your results - worthwhile doing for the results you got or was it a waste of time ?
I use this a lot with spinal stabalization clients. It's called abdominal hollowing and is used to strengthen the transverse abdominal muscles, (the ones that rap around you underneath the six pack)

Crotalus

Awards
How do you have your clients use it .... sets & reps or holding it for a long count ? Have you fouind one way is better than another with this ?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I basically have them on all fours. Basically on your hands and knee's then you push your stomach out as much as you can then suck it in trying to pull your belly button through your back. Hold this sucked in position for about 8 seconds then repeat. Do a set of 15-20 and you'll see it's no picnic. :thumbsup:

size

Awards
  • Established
It is a good exercise. I do a variation of it while performing yoga. In simple sitting (a yoga position), I breathe softly and inhale while pulling my stomach in as if attempting to touch my abdomen wall to my spine. Hold, release, and repeat. It is a great exercise.

There are many ab exercises that are rarely mentioned b/c they are not a traditional exercise position for weight lifters. For instance, the plank position is great for strengthening the abdomen. For this just lie parallel to the floor with your face facing the floor. Lift your body so that you are only resting on your forearms(bend arms to 90degress) and toes. Next simply flex your sotmach. In this position, one could also practice the vacuum by simply pulling the abdomen wall towards the spine.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established

I tried the Vacuum (not vacume) a couple of times. It doesnt fit in my actual ABS routine, but its a good excercise and I'll incorporate in the future.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
The Vacuum is awesome. Just do a few sets of it holding it as long as you can and you will be panting afterwards. You can do it on your hands and knees and standing up (which is a bit harder).

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love/hate the plank! I try to hold it for 3 minutes.

raybravo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah, the important thing is to exhale all the air out, then just try to get the navel to touch the spine... thats the attempt... so u pull it in inwards and upwards, doing it like the way its given in arnold's encyclopaedia is one way... doing it the way size said is the more traditional way...

u can also do it standing , u just bend forward, lean on ur knees and do it..

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
some eastern bloc countries would do core training which included exercises for the TA. They would exercise it by having athletes blow into a thin rubber hose as hard as they could... I think Christian Thibadeau wrote an article about it.