Warm up question(s)

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys warm up for your working sets for a 5x5 routine.
So lets say im doing 5x5 flat bench and my goal is to push 265 lb 5x5

How would you warm up for this so that you don't cause injury but at the same time do not exhaust too much energy for the actual working sets?

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How do you guys warm up for your working sets for a 5x5 routine. So lets say im doing 5x5 flat bench and my goal is to push 265 lb 5x5 How would you warm up for this so that you don't cause injury but at the same time do not exhaust too much energy for the actual working sets?
Me? Really all depends on the day but always light stretches, Rotator Cuff Exercises like the Throwers 10; dead Hangs, bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 115x5, 135x5, then sets of 1-3 of 65% 75% 85% then get her done. Slow tempo to really warm up those muscles. Had to have shoulder surgery awhile back so Io am really careful.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Having injured my shoulders many times, I now start with the empty bar for 20-40 reps and feel it out from there, sometimes playing with the empty bar for another set of 30... some days I can hop right up 50lbs at a time, some days it's 20... sometimes, as I get closer to 5rm, I'm only going up 10lbs per set. Since my energy level and flexibility varies daily, it wouldn't make any sense to be strict about the increments. I guess experience and intuition are the guides there.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Having injured my shoulders many times, I now start with the empty bar for 20-40 reps and feel it out from there, sometimes playing with the empty bar for another set of 30... some days I can hop right up 50lbs at a time, some days it's 20... sometimes, as I get closer to 5rm, I'm only going up 10lbs per set. Since my energy level and flexibility varies daily, it wouldn't make any sense to be strict about the increments. I guess experience and intuition are the guides there.
I agree, I think I feel different each time. Rarely will I not take it slow like you suggested (lots of reps / empty bar) I'd rather sacrifice energy than injury (shoulder issues for years)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It might be a good idea (if you are not doing it already) to add cuff work *at the end of the BP W/O days. Just a few sets of very light L-flyes or something, to keep those tiny "external" rotators in shape and strong.

My W/U's were usually something like...
Bar x10-15
#135x8
#185x3
#225x2
#245x1 (maybe)
#265x5x5

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
-shoulder circles, one way then the other, 15 each
-A band pull-apart (10-15 reps) or reverse flyes
-internal/external rotation with a cable (dont do these standing with dumbbells, there is no purpose for those since you have no resistance at the shoulder, mostly at the elbow)
-scarecrows
-then begin warm-ups on bench

thats my routine

MooseSPQR

Awards
Alot of good information given, I differ a touch when trying to get warmed up for 5x5.
full body stretch before ever lifting session
static stretches on chest, and dynamic stretches for rotator cuffs (already listed above)
then empty bar for 10 slow and stretching
1x5 135
1x3 225
1x2 245
then start your working sets

this type of warmup was passed on to me from a powerlifter that is legit
basically he said to work your way up to the weight but decreasing volume while increasing weight to prevent getting to tired while trying to get up to a working weight
it has worked for me but everyone is different my training partner barely warms up but I do on damn near everything

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
-shoulder circles, one way then the other, 15 each
-A band pull-apart (10-15 reps) or reverse flyes
-internal/external rotation with a cable (dont do these standing with dumbbells, there is no purpose for those since you have no resistance at the shoulder, mostly at the elbow)
-scarecrows
-then begin warm-ups on bench

thats my routine
Might give this a shot, thanks for the tip

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you will get lots of different answers and reasoning for what people do for warmups.

for me it depends on what i am doing for my workout or if im at a meet. i warm up with a lot of volume on some days just to do just that, get more volume. others i just want to get warm and prime the CNS.

for your 5x5 @ 265 example i would do:

1x3, 1x4, 1x5 @ 135
1x2, 1x3, 1x4 @ 185
1x1, 1x2, 1x3 @ 225
1x1, 1x2, 5x5 @ 265