how many working chest sets...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Does everyone do, after a lot of reading im leaning towards my chest routine being un productive

JD261985

Banned
Awards
If you're natural I wouldn't go over 12 but it definitely depends on what program you're doing

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm at 12, seeing good results.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...after a lot of reading im leaning towards my chest routine being un productive
I what ways?, or what goals are you after?
Size/mass is directly related to food intake, overall body size and probably some genetics.
Strength can be had with as little as 4-5 sets 2x per week, as long as overload is being reached along with proper recovery.
IMO, frequency ie: 2 or even more times per week, can trump doing 10-20 sets once per week.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
I do about 16 sets on "chest day" and then 4-6 sets (of chest) on "shoulder day" (monday and thursday), I find, for me, that volume works the best for hypertrophy.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I what ways?, or what goals are you after?
Size/mass is directly related to food intake, overall body size and probably some genetics.
Strength can be had with as little as 4-5 sets 2x per week, as long as overload is being reached along with proper recovery.
IMO, frequency ie: 2 or even more times per week, can trump doing 10-20 sets once per week.
Im doing good on strength, it steadily increases. Size lacks a bit.. my nutrition is solid, i may try 2x a week

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL, must have been. I could have sworn there was a recent thread about this topic and it was probably in my head.

NPCfitPro

NPCfitPro

Awards
Check out Arnold's chest day in the Bodybuilding encyclopedia!

Mystere3

Awards
5 warmup sets, 4 work drop sets. Each drop set is lift to failure then drop weight. Only rest is time it takes the spotter to switch weight.

Here's a sample workout:

Bench:
Warmup:
135 x 10
225 x 10
335 x 3
355 x 3

Work set: drop set, no rest.
405 x 8, 315 x 10, 225 x 18

Incline db warmup:
100 x 8

Incline db Drop set:
150 x 8, 125 x 8, 100 x 12

Same on db flat:

Hammer smith incline press drop set:
360 x 15
270 x 10
180 x 12

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im doing good on strength, it steadily increases. Size lacks a bit.. my nutrition is solid, i may try 2x a week
Okay, well if you are natural, your body will most likely develop in ways that are pretty much in line with other neighboring body parts. Also, if you are gaining strength, you are most likely gaining mass too in some way.
It might not hurt to use a bit more volume/frequency, but doing 8-10 sets for the chest and being a natural, will most likely be plenty for one day. IMO, after that, you are probably past your gaining ability for that day and in many cases you are probably not adding anything but overall work, where you might focus the energy on another lagging body part. Just sayin'

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5 warmup sets, 4 work drop sets. Each drop set is lift to failure then drop weight. Only rest is time it takes the spotter to switch weight. Here's a sample workout: Bench: Warmup: 135 x 10 225 x 10 335 x 3 355 x 3 Work set: drop set, no rest. 405 x 8, 315 x 10, 225 x 18 Incline db warmup: 100 x 8 Incline db Drop set: 150 x 8, 125 x 8, 100 x 12 Same on db flat: Hammer smith incline press drop set: 360 x 15 270 x 10 180 x 12
Holy Mackeral Mystey! Strong one, you are! You may have to rewrite this post starting with a 135 warmup and 185 working sets! Lol.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For chest I do a bunch of things I felt help not only save my joints but pull blood in and facilitate decent growth/shape even on a Recomp

I always start with 2 light sets of 20 if I start off pressing. Then I do working sets of 10 with increasing increments until I can't reach 10 anymore

I then do the "pump" portion to break up presses. Maybe cable finger tip "presses" or pec dec fly at high reps hard contraction for a couple sets

Then back to presses. But I always have 2 "pump" exercises to break up all pressing. Sometimes I'll super set the pump set with the pressing

Sounds weird but I've been recovering well. My shoulders and elbows don't hurt and when slamming the intra carbs/aminos I definitely feel them being put to use

Mystere3

Awards
Holy Mackeral Mystey! Strong one, you are! You may have to rewrite this post starting with a 135 warmup and 185 working sets! Lol.
You can scale the workout for any weight; my girl uses the same routine and has gross results with her working sets around 135-155. The nice thing about it is that it's very fast paced and extremely intense and keeps your heart rate up. I can get in and out of the gym in 45 minutes but feel completely spent at the end.

TooNatty

Awards
My chest is pretty laggy so I hit it with about 15 sets, its working so far

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
total sets only count if you also include total reps per set, total reps per workout, intensity of reps/sets, and frequency at which you do them again.

without that info its like asking which woman is hotter, the one with short hair or long hair and offering no other info.