Just started lifting need a little help.

Upscale

Awards
Hey guys,

I just started at the gym and I had a couple questions. I am in physically in pretty good shape, I mtn bike, snowboard, and all that other stuff living in Colorado affords me. After watching way to much arrow I decided it was time to put on some muscle. Tired of just looking average.

When trying to build muscle, I know that you need to make sure to consume enough calories to rebuild the muscles, what if I already have quite a bit of fat on me? Do I need to consume as much. Naturally I would like to lose some fat here but I don't want to sabotage my lifting by not eating enough calories.

Secondly, just did my first chest routine a couple days ago and I am pretty sore. I have set my routine up to do this chest routine every tuesday. Is that enough? I read a post earlier that described the 7 day and 5 day approaches to working out muscle groups. Curious what others think. At first I was thinking I would be doing this every other day but I realize that might be unrealistic.

What I am really asking is how sore is to sore to workout a muscle group again. I don't want to overdo it.

My current plan is

Martial Arts on mondays and fridays and then working out specific muscle groups tues weds thurs.

What do you guys think? I just joined up so sorry if I didn't post this in the right place, but I figured this is more the science of what I am doing more so than anything else.

Thanks and I look forward to being part of the forums.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my opinion, you should go for a 4-Day/Week Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower split focusing on variants of the Bench Press/Deadlift/Overhead Press/&Squat. The extra work you do that day should focus on the muscles involved with those lifts (Bench Press, Barbell Row, Bi's Tri's; Deadlift, Front Squat, Good Mornings). In return, you'll get stronger and get the physique you want through diet. Google "DeFranco WSB4SB" and it'll be a similar layout.

It'll allow an increased frequency of 'muscle groups' and ample time for growth and recovery, and time for your other activities.

I say eat to be strong. Compound movements in combination with your active lifestyle will burn some fat.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
as far as the lifting goes: i see your weight training three days a week, look for a proven three day full body workout hitting the whole body 3 times a week. This is ideal for beginners (hst, and starting strength are good options that you can google). Focus on the big compound lifts and correct form. you could also do an upper lower split 3 times a week (upper,lower, upper one week then lower, upper, lower the next) lyle mcdonalds upper lower split has worked well for me in the past. Best of luck

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ah I missed the 3/Day

I agree with the above. Search 3-Day 5/3/1

Upscale

Awards
Excellent I looked up the WSB4SB and it was very helpful. Very similar to the routine I put together for myself, glad to know I am on the right track.

The 5/3/1 looks right up my alley. Do you think I need to do 1 day on 1 day off or can I do 3 days in a row targeting the different muscles and be okay. Want to make sure I am giving myself the proper recovery time, but being a noob I don't see why it wouldn't be alright as long as I rotating.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally, I think that starting strength is much better for beginners. I would start there and then if you wanted to see about 5/3/1, do that second. I am not a fan of 5/3/1, but I have trained with a couple of people that have thought liked it. And before anyone says, "what, he's crazy.." I've trained and trained with so many people over the years and can count the people that actually finish the routine from beginning to end without getting discouraged or bored because it is very slow to build progression. On the plus side, it is forcing people not to think about doing chest and arms every time they walk into the gym.

I do like Sean1332's mindset with his post, though. While I agree with it, to follow a defined program is so much easier for someone starting up through their intermediate level.

What martial arts are you doing, OP?

Upscale

Awards
It's a Shao-lin martial arts group. The fitness center I go do has a big gymnastics gymnasium. I saw them practicing and one thing lead to another and I joined up. It's pretty broad but it's not a muay thai style course. I have done muay thai and wing chun in the past and I used to not be very open minded to much else. I let go of that mindset and just said, I want to do martial arts these guys are doing martial arts so I will try and join up with them. We got down to business pretty quick and it was really fun so I am just sticking with it. Definitely a funny experience because I was really sore from my first few workouts and he was showing me pressure points and ways to strike them and he kept apologizing because he thought he was hurting me more than he was because I would make pretty funny faces when he pushed into my chest and shoulders.

Still wondering about recovery. Will tues weds thurs different muscle groups be to much for me to recover from? Anyone know any good articles about recovering when your starting strength training.

Should I be using creatine? Right now I have alot of wheybolic 60 from gnc.

Mystere3

Awards
You should rest at least one between workouts. I like hst a lot for beginners. It's 3 days a week and hits the full body 3x a week.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Forget supplements at this point. Eat right, sleep well, and train your ass off. I didn't catch your age, but all the same. If you are going to do a 3 day, then skip a day inbetween, but I am an advocate for a 4 day minimum.

Upscale

Awards
I do a lot of other activities that should supplement the 3 day well, I'm in Colorado so lots of things to do in the summer.

I'm curious why you would advise no supplements? Just want the information behind the suggestion.

Also I'm about to be 33.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread. Getting this input is great.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as recovery too, the ultimate marker will be you progression. If you are adding weigh or reps to the bar, you are most likely recovering. If you are feeling the need for a few days between, your body will tell you. Novices (so to speak) have more room for strength/gains improvement, since they have more overall room in most exercises and the loads they are using, do not tax the system like more advanced heavier weights.

Agree with the other posts
And I might agree to get some reg habitual training in and get some structure and gains going with good solid natural food, before adding in a bunch of apparent gaining supps too. DO not come to depend on supps as they do not do anywhere near what heavy compound exercises and real food do. Honestly.
That way, when you do hit a plateau, a supp like creatine perhaps, can bump you up to a new level if you respond well to it. Just sayin'

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do a lot of other activities that should supplement the 3 day well, I'm in Colorado so lots of things to do in the summer.

I'm curious why you would advise no supplements? Just want the information behind the suggestion.

Also I'm about to be 33.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread. Getting this input is great.
Yep, I am here in CO as well and I know what you mean by being able to fill in the days with outdoor activities.

As far as supplements, my comment was not to mean don't ever take them. But people depend on them mentally too much (because they don't do much physically) and you are just starting out, so you want to get a baseline with plain old food. You don't know what you are capable of without anything added at this point.

karenduff

karenduff

Awards
Amazing :)

Upscale

Awards
Thanks Paul that clears things up. I am not taking creatine, I was just curious about it. Right now everything is coming from good nutrition, and a protein supplement before working out. I have had the supplement in my diet for a while. I just mix it with water a couple hours before I do any strenuous activities.