These are the people I just LOVE....

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. I love it. All tose BB'ers out there struggling on their low-carb diet, and here I am and other trianee's of Bobo's losing weight, and eating carbs!

2. Bobo,

Not to sound condesending here, but while I agree with what you're saying, I KNOW people who have achieve a very low level bodyfat for competition while using a low/no carb diet (with a cheat day for spiking metabolism) for an extended period of time (12-16 weeks).

2 people were doing this "clean" as in no illegal drugs and 4 others were doing this "enhanced".

All of them faired well in their competitions. One who was dieting naturally won the Muscle Mania in Toronto a few years ago and another got their Pro Card at the Canadians last year.

Like I said, I don't disagree with your theory but the low/no carb diet CAN work just like anything else other there. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Now... on a side note here. The guy who won Muscle Mania a few years ago and was doing it cleanly... did come in at the best shape of his entire life. This year when competing for the Canadians and then the Worlds in Moscow he followed a high carb, moderate protein and no fat diet for his contest prep. Didn't come in as good of condidition as the muscle mania (still looked amazing) but had a much, much easier time of dieting while doing it because of the carbs.

Two different approaches and two successful results.
    •   

3. The final weeks of a pre-contest diet usually is low carb to eliminate water and to give a more finished look but almost 99% of bodybuilders that compete never start out their diet low carb, ever. At least the pro's don't. Its a gradual process of tapering down everything over a peroid of time.

Ask around. I have 3 pro's that I consistently talk to about this locally.

Plus, who said they don't work. I specifically said they have a much better chance of stalling out.

And they do.

And please, its not my "theory". What I have stated is nutritional fact. The "low carb" way is based more on theory than anything. I also know people that eat Mcdonalds and stay a very low bf% so the guy you mentioned above is not the norm at all but more likley an exception to the rule. There will always be people like that. Last time I checked I watched Ronnie Coleman drench his chicken in bb'cue sauce.

But as far as the majority goes, the low carb way will work only to a point. These guys market their books as accepted fact that will work for everyone and that isn 't remotely true.

For every one of the guys you can mention above, I can name 10 that would never do follow a low carb diet 16 weeks and they all compete and all have tried it. Sustained low carb for the majority will fail when it comes to bodybuilding. And I'm talking about maintaing every bit of muscle and strenght WHILE dieting and achieving a low bf%. You can achieve weight loss with practially any diet to a point but to get to single digit and low bf% the majority of people will fail on low carb diets. Hell I took the MOD at C-K-D.com and showed him and now he will never touch low carb again.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

4. If you want to go low gi post workout, oats are a poor choice, you would be better off with potatoe or rice.

haha this one was definitely my favorite!!!!! lol
    PharmD

5. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    I love it. All tose BB'ers out there struggling on their low-carb diet, and here I am and other trianee's of Bobo's losing weight, and eating carbs!
    I'm sitting here enjoying my protein and oats as I'm reading this. I completely agree with Bobo's assessment that low carb diets will eventually fail. I will never go low carb again. My workouts suffer a lot less because of this as well.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    In fact, a good friend of mine finished 2nd in nationals about 3 months ago in Florida and he never went below 350g carbs per day. That should tell you something
    Just curious- A minimum of 350 grams is pretty high. I'm assuming he's a fairly large dude?

7. Nope. 185lbs.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

8. How the hell did you pull that off? I guess I will find out soon enough.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NPursuit
    I'm sitting here enjoying my protein and oats as I'm reading this. I completely agree with Bobo's assessment that low carb diets will eventually fail. I will never go low carb again. My workouts suffer a lot less because of this as well.
    Isn't life grand.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Nope. 185lbs.
    I'm guessing he did a ton of cardio.
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I'm guessing he did a ton of cardio.

.....and conditioning workouts

12. His cardio was sitting on a bike for 2 hours per day at VERY low intensity.

And remember, just because he could do it, doens't mean you could. You have to remember, this guy has been training for 17 years. The amount of muscle density he has is MUCH higher than the majority of people.

Its not like he's 6 foot either. He is 5'8

13. Why on a bike and why such low intensity? I'm guessing that he has a very high metabolism and you were afraid of catabolism?

.....and what were his workouts like? Circuit/conditioning or rest periods?

14. Because that is what works best for him.

He's 39 years old. His metabolism isn't that fast.

His workout are nothing special.

That about all I can say about that. There is no magic beans or magic pills. He's all natural and has been for 17 years.

He is where he's at because of hard work.

15. Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    How the hell did you pull that off? I guess I will find out soon enough.

FYI I am not training him. I have given him suggestions that he has incorporated but this is not someone I train. He's just a good friend. He doens't need me at all.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
  3. ok these are the results i want what can give me it
    By Joey0808 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
  4. Which of these supplements are the best?
    By liftbig74 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
  5. So all these are the exact same?...
    By nosnmiveins in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 11:25 PM