help with calves that sit high

FitnessLuke

Awards
So my calves are 16 inches, so they are not huge, but they are also not tiny. Anyways they still dont look all that great bc I have the calves that stay balled up higher up and dont really stretch to my ankle. My ankle is also pretty darn small, so it looks weird.

Any way to train calves to stretch further down to your leg or am I just fd by my genes.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You need to work in more standing calf work and concentrate on the stretch. I know exactly what you are talking about and I am convinced it is why some guys in the gym pull their socks higher. You are trying to work the soleus and achilles and that is one of the hardest spots, but they do respond to stretch.

FitnessLuke

Awards
You need to work in more standing calf work and concentrate on the stretch. I know exactly what you are talking about and I am convinced it is why some guys in the gym pull their socks higher. You are trying to work the soleus and achilles and that is one of the hardest spots, but they do respond to stretch.
Okay deff will do more standing...yeah ive been doing to a lot of sitting calve raises, so this is some valuable advice

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You also can't change the shape/length of your muscle belly. You can only increase the size or your genetically predispositioned muscle belly. Heavy weights, standing and donkey raises, and keep your negetives slow slow slow. TUT is your best friend for calves. Seated raises hit the soleus which is the flat muscle on the back of your lower leg, which will help push your gastroc out giving the illusion of size if there is some to push. Otherwise you need to do as many raises with your legs extended as possible. Twice a week wouldn't hurt either.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, he needs to hit them a minimum of twice a week. Heavy weight is great, but he needs high volume in a mid weight range. Both are needed, as the heavy weight will help support the volume work.

I work mine 4 days a week and that is the only way I have experienced big growth.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
Slow down your eccentric movement and focus on flexing during peak contraction.

Work the Tib. anterior and Extensor Digit. longus to create more of an illusion of width.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Awesome thanks for the advice...just started hitting the tiba with this new machine and man that showed me how weak it was.

Sounds a lot like bicep training...at least how I got my bis to grow

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check out this video. Has some good tips and especially on how to position your ankles....I been doing it wrong.

Ben Pakulski Calf Workout (Massive Calves): http://youtu.be/7AVIgDN72c0

FitnessLuke

Awards
Niccee that actually gives me a peace of mind bc ive basically been training this way. However, I do tend to hit all angles and what he said about that makes sense, so ill stop doing that

Also cant wait to try the non stop bodyweight/weight workout

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Niccee that actually gives me a peace of mind bc ive basically been training this way. However, I do tend to hit all angles and what he said about that makes sense, so ill stop doing that

Also cant wait to try the non stop bodyweight/weight workout
I did it two days ago. Still sore. The tip about holding your ankles IN....that's the important part. Felt the difference immediately.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like anyone that starts with the mindset of "if you aren't executing it correctly, you are wasting your time".

FitnessLuke

Awards
I like anyone that starts with the mindset of "if you aren't executing it correctly, you are wasting your time".
This is so so so true..possibly the reason I look bigger than some of those who just go for super heavy weight

Mystere3

Awards
Kai's training vids are good too, the most recent train with kai vid is great.

That being said, calves are pretty genetic. I rarely train calves, maybe once every 2 weeks. My calves are 20".

FitnessLuke

Awards
Kai's training vids are good too, the most recent train with kai vid is great.

That being said, calves are pretty genetic. I rarely train calves, maybe once every 2 weeks. My calves are 20".
Ahh your that guy! Forever jealous

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They are, but it's an excuse when people say they can't grow them. I put almost 4" on mine.

FitnessLuke

Awards
They are, but it's an excuse when people say they can't grow them. I put almost 4" on mine.
This is so true...I used to always always say my calves just cant grow. Well after like a year of sticking with em ive prob seen another inch of growth..bringim me to 16 inch

I no longer have chicken legs, but at same time dont have impressive legs. I want to break the barrier further and get some 17 inch calves

Mystere3

Awards
I agree to some degree. It depends where your insertions are. Some people have bad calves no matter what; look at Dennis wolf, ronnie coleman etc. obviously their lack of calf development isn't bc of lack of effort.

Mystere3

Awards
also you work calves a lot from deadlift, squats, leg press etc.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, my calves have consistently grown since I started lifting. Would be nice to get them to grow a bit faster though lol.

Mystere3

Awards
Oh I forgot, perhaps the very best calf workout for the experienced lifter is the jump squat. Don't do this unless you know what you're doing though. Sprints/suicides/box jumps are great too.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Oh I forgot, perhaps the very best calf workout for the experienced lifter is the jump squat. Don't do this unless you know what you're doing though. Sprints/suicides/box jumps are great too.
Ill have to try those jump squats in time...I just performed that calf workout from the video and damm my calves are feeling it. Also did it barefoot idk I seem to feel it a lot more no shoes