Pull-Ups Help!

dreamcrusher

Awards
I've been trying to raise my pull-up numbers over the past couple of years but have been really putting a big emphasis the last 4 months with little success.

I can do 4 strict reps and 5 on a good day but can't get past those numbers. I've tried the Recon Ron PU program, negatives, band assisted, heavy lat pull downs but numbers won't budge.

I'm 6 foot at 217 lbs probably 18%bf. I'm on cut right now so I'm working on the body weight.

I'm looking for a proven routine to bring those numbers up. I want to reach between 16-18 reps.

Thanks

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is not really uncommon (with chins or P/U's) as lots of guys use the same BW and the same approaches that usually have the lifter training a little to close to the edge, without building more base and reps over time.
They can also work like a lot of other exercises where you can slowly add weight, and have that carryover to a higher BW to rep ratio.
Of course losing overall BW will help too.
Try this, good article IMO...
Pavel's Ladder

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have used many programs/modalities to get my pull up numbers up in the past. When my numbers were lower I used something called Greasing the Groove. Greasing the groove is basically doing pull ups many times sporadically throughout the day below your failure thresh hold. So for example using your numbers I would do 2-3 reps every time I went into a room. Pavel also advocated this methodology and just ensure that you are not going to failure on a regular basis. Another program I used that got me to approximately 25 pull ups was the armstrong pull up program. I cannot post links yet but if you search for it on google it is very easy to find.

fasttaker

Awards
I have used many programs/modalities to get my pull up numbers up in the past. When my numbers were lower I used something called Greasing the Groove. Greasing the groove is basically doing pull ups many times sporadically throughout the day below your failure thresh hold. So for example using your numbers I would do 2-3 reps every time I went into a room. Pavel also advocated this methodology and just ensure that you are not going to failure on a regular basis. Another program I used that got me to approximately 25 pull ups was the armstrong pull up program. I cannot post links yet but if you search for it on google it is very easy to find.
This.

merph

merph

Awards
I found doing them as often as possible in low volume helped me. I'm a boilermaker so at work there is always scaffold or something I can grab on to. I started doing one or two at a time and after a while a third then a little while longer add another and so on. After doing two pull ups 8-10 times a day for a couple weeks the third and forth one don't seem that bad at all.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
Figure out your sticking point and work on it with a band.

Greasing the grooves works to a degree, but the adaptations will likely be Neuromuscular with a minimal amount of Hypertrophy.