REALLY bad instant headache during a heavy lift..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

REALLY bad instant headache during a heavy lift..

Okay this has only happened to me in the last two weeks out of the 3 years I have been lifting but I was doing leg press with a good amount of weight (bout 650) and on the last rep of me pressing pretty hard I suddenly got an EXTREMELY bad headache that seemed to be focused more on one certain spot on my head the most and it throbbed really bad. Last week when it happened it scared the **** out of me because I could just see myself having an anyeurism right there lol. But it happened again this week and it happened a lot easier (I was doing less weight this week and wasn't pushing nearly as hard as the week before). Anyone ever had this happen? Both times I quit my workout early.

2. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I've had this happen when I was taking too much caffeine but other than that, its never happened just because of heavy lifts.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  3. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%

interesting because both times i did drink a large cup of coffee about 30 minutes before I went and it was French Roast. I will try next time to go without it.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

sam happens to me sometime, i think its high blood pressure.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.51%

I had this problem during squats and climax during sex (don't laugh) for about a month, and the first time it happened I thought I was having an aneurism. My girlfriend (she is finishing up medical school this semester) said it was a blood vessel in the sub-arachnoid layer of my brain dialating. Apparently the squats raise intercranial pressure (duuh) and oxytocin causes cranial blood vessel dialation (this was a year or so ago so don't quote me). They went away on their own. I don't have a remedy, but they are not dangerous if they are the same as mine; sudden onset, severe localized pain, fairly rapid passing...Dim
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.87%

Not saying this is your problem, but I had a similar problem and it turned out I had a mild disc heriation in the upper cervical vertibra. It can happen when you are straining really hard and the muscles in your neck contract hard under the stress.

Edit... It has happened right before blowing a load too.

Either way,hope you can find the cause and get a handle on it.
    Last edited by Lean One; 02-12-2005 at 08:38 PM.
  7. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.83%

I had the exact thing happen to me doing heavy leg presses. On the last rep I cocked my head forward and held my breath and pushed with everything I had. All of a sudden I had an intense headache and felt dizzy as hell...thought I was going to pass out.

After that anytime I held my head a certain way or did dips it would shoot an intense (I mean an ice pick rammed into my head) pain. Scared me bad. After talking to a physical therapist, she told me she thought I had strained a muscle that ran from the top of my back up my neck.

After a couple weeks the pain went away and no problems since. Had to lay off the workouts though because the pain was so bad it would literally lay me on my back.

Now when I do leg presses I always keep my head back resting on the pad and keep my neck relaxed.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.35%

This has happened to me also.. lifting and during sex .. headache Doctor called them exertion headaches
    but couldn`t find any phyical cause. Gave me some pills that made me feel like **** all day long. So I stopped taking them... They went away in a few weeks.. Really scared me at first
  9. ***** Vampire
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.29%

i have had it happen with heavy leg presses - last rep straining real hard and prob not breathing correctly. looks like this is pretty common. Try to find something on the wall and dont move your head. works for me.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I had this happen in the middle of a heavy squat. Scared me badly. Blinding pain in the head running down the neck. Hurt so bad I was kinda dizzy. Had to stop the WO. I think it was a strained neck muscle or cervical vertebrate misalignment. Has not happened again.
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.04%

wow, I've had this a few times during climax, its very localized, top right of the head i believe. It went away tho.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.9%

Angry Got one of those headaches while squatting...

I was bustin my ass on squats, then BAM, I thought I was going to go down with the bar on my back. I just got it racked, then had to hold my head for ten minutes or so and still couldn't resume squatting. First and only time it had ever happened (so far).
  13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.04%

hmmm so it seems like a lot of people are experiencing this. I guess it is more common than we all had thought.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.39%

I have been getting that also. Whats weird is that when I really concentrate on exhaling on the way up, I get it much worse!?! Feels like my brain is gonna start leaking out of my ears.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

"I hope I didn't brain my damage!"

-Homer Simpson
  16. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%

Yeah this is strange. It is only when i do really heavy weight and really put my all into it. But it wasn't like I was going to failure. I still had a few reps left. I am hoping it isn't some sort of artery hemorhage or some scary **** like that. That is just what I need lol.
  17. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.51%

Lake, check your BP just to be on the safe side.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.73%

Same sort of thing happened to me while doing incline presses. Turns out in my case I actually tore some of the muscle in the side of me head between the ear and the temple. Thought I had a stroke or something, as the pain, and weird neurological stuff went on for something like a week. If it goes away, not likely that this is what happened to you though.

Good luck finding the answer, I hope it gets better quickly for you.
  19. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%

BP is pretty good. I did realize that large amounts of caffeine prior to workout made it worse so i have been drinking less. I am also breathing different on my heavy leg presses and although I can feel it coming on it never hits me like usual. I will just have to keep an eye out.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Most ppl experience heart attacks while sitting on the toilet straining out a bowel movement. Not pretty, but same principles apply to lifting heavy weights I suppose.

21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.13%

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    Most ppl experience heart attacks while sitting on the toilet straining out a bowel movement. Not pretty, but same principles apply to lifting heavy weights I suppose.
    No ****! (pun intended).
  22. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.49%

Quote Originally Posted by diminuendo
    I had this problem during squats and climax during sex (don't laugh) for about a month, and the first time it happened I thought I was having an aneurism. My girlfriend (she is finishing up medical school this semester) said it was a blood vessel in the sub-arachnoid layer of my brain dialating. Apparently the squats raise intercranial pressure (duuh) and oxytocin causes cranial blood vessel dialation (this was a year or so ago so don't quote me). They went away on their own. I don't have a remedy, but they are not dangerous if they are the same as mine; sudden onset, severe localized pain, fairly rapid passing...Dim
    Yes, this is true. I got horrible pain in the back of my head doing hack squats and later i got a cat scan and had an arachnoid cyst about 2 cm big leaking fluid... Nasty stuff
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.85%

I know how u feel, i used to have a weird throbbing pain in the back of my head when working out, quit all the workouts short....i posted on some forums asking what it could be as i was scared ****less.

i looked on the internet to find that it coyld be a certain type of headache, or a pulled muscle back in my neck or something......it hurt really bad in one particular spot right in the back of my head.

got a reply on a forum from some dude saying hes had the same **** and found out that it was from overtraining........i took 1-2 weeks off voila! it has never come back.

EDIT: crap, i didnt even read the two post above mine......that sounds EXACRLEY like the thing i had. It happened when i did alot of stuff, not just working out.
  24. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.53%

Toilets are BAD

Toliets are bad for another thing - herniated discs. People sit down for a while, then reach behind to either grab at something they dropped, or to grab the toliet paper, and tear the disc annulus.

The moral of the story: if you want to have a healthy back and healthy heart, learn to **** standing up.

25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.58%

I recently joined the club.... I thought it was from E-MAX LMG which has given me really bad sides (prostate/nosebleed), but maybe it's from pushing myself too hard... Right before climax during sex or while doing either squats or bench I get a splitting headache in the back of my head.. I have been pounding hawthorne berry and aspirin thinking it's a BP issue.. Whatever it is... I hope it goes away. And FAST..
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Rictor33
    I recently joined the club.... I thought it was from E-MAX LMG which has given me really bad sides (prostate/nosebleed), but maybe it's from pushing myself too hard... Right before climax during sex or while doing either squats or bench I get a splitting headache in the back of my head.. I have been pounding hawthorne berry and aspirin thinking it's a BP issue.. Whatever it is... I hope it goes away. And FAST..
    You need to take a week off of all lifting. Its just going to hurt whenever you lift and you'll aggravate it. Sometimes people even need to take 2 weeks off from this.
  27. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Rictor33
    I have been pounding and thinking it's a BP issue.. .
    HEY! What did I do?

Not that I would kiss and tell ....

JK
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I just threw up in my mouth a little...
  29. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.51%

I beleive that. I've squeezed so hard that my back has cracked before.lol
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.29%

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD View Post
    Okay this has only happened to me in the last two weeks out of the 3 years I have been lifting but I was doing leg press with a good amount of weight (bout 650) and on the last rep of me pressing pretty hard I suddenly got an EXTREMELY bad headache that seemed to be focused more on one certain spot on my head the most and it throbbed really bad. Last week when it happened it scared the **** out of me because I could just see myself having an anyeurism right there lol. But it happened again this week and it happened a lot easier (I was doing less weight this week and wasn't pushing nearly as hard as the week before). Anyone ever had this happen? Both times I quit my workout early.
    I had this happen to me and it turned out after cat scans and other exams it was a pulled muscle in my upper neck which led to extreme headaches which often caused me to stop my workouts. The doc told me that every time I did a heavy set the muscle would spasm, causing the headaches.I had to ease up for about a month (especially on chest days) and eventually the muscle healed itself. The first time it happened I thought I was going to die it was so painful, it felt like something in my brain burst.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

Ok sounds like a mix of a few things. This is what im experiencing.

I take my Liquid masterdrol / Green bulge and NO Shotgun. Head to the gym. Been stacking this for a month (Finihsing masterdrol cycle). I started jump roping. Once i hit a 100 jumps i felt like i got smacked in the head with a dumbell. It was an instant stabbing pain with throbbing on my left temple. It hurt so bad it went through my jaw and made my teeth ache. My whole left side of my head went numb from hurting so bad. I had to stop my work out for about 30 minutes just for the throbbing to stop long enough to continue working out. Scared the crap out of me, thought i did something bad. Well it turns into an all day headache after that (tolerable). Well since that happened i hit the gym 2 other times. 2nd time it hit me during the jump rope again and third time (Today) it hit me doing pull ups. Anybody got an idea? Its in the same exact spot each time (Left temple) extremly painful.

Thanks for any info.
  32. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.58%

Quote Originally Posted by diminuendo View Post

I had both of these same exact problems...
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

Quote Originally Posted by gotripped View Post
    I had both of these same exact problems...
    What was your outcome?
  34. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.58%

It eventually went away when I stopped taking Stims and Juicy Juice.

I believe it may have been high blood pressure... as sex and lifting both caused it. ESP. During climax. Sometimes slightly before...with great intense pain thereafter... almost to puking.
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.16%

Quote Originally Posted by cable626 View Post
    wow, I've had this a few times during climax, its very localized, top right of the head i believe. It went away tho.
    Yup! I have had exactly the same thing before. It seems to be aggravated by sleep deprevation, just getting over a cold and dehydrated, or high blood pressure. I just noticed that at the times I did have it happen those were the things going on. Scared the **** out of me though I thought I had a clot in my brain!

In all cases a little R & R made it go away
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.51%

i experienced this on several occasions. On one time, it was so bad i went to the ER... in that situation, i was on lots of ephedra and the high BP was causing it, but i have also had at absurd, instead onset headache that occured during some forced reps on heavy incline bench. Felt like something popped deep in my forehead. instant pain and it throbbed like a motha****a. stayed like that for 2 weeks. the guy that owns my gym has been in the trenches for 30 some years, and told me it was a popped vessell, but not to worry about it.... so i didnt, and i'm fine.
  37. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.75%

Breath! Most likely its the blood vessel in the back of your head. I've had this happen when heavy lifting, proper breathing helped so my blood pressure didn't go so high. If I remember correctly its a common problem and not dangerous.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.62%

Ive had this happen while dead lifting. It turned out to be a neck problem.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.91%

I've had this happen twice. I figured out later that it was due to holding my breath while straining to get that last rep up.
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.31%

Quote Originally Posted by mass_builder View Post
    sam happens to me sometime, i think its high blood pressure.
    I think this may have some validity as well as how is your breathing?

Similar Forum Threads

1. When I work out i get an INSTANT headache!!
    By Slpstang02 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
  2. Heavy Lifting for fat loss
    By avenue Red in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 12:33 AM
  3. proper way to structure a heavy lifting workout?!
    By neverstop in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
  4. Can heavy lifting cause a bruise
    By Whaler in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM