Need help with trap/shoulder issues

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
Hey guys,
Ok so long story short I am having trap/left shoulder blade issues and I cannot keep going the way im going. Ive been training for 3 years seriously. Last year I got into a pretty nasty t-bone accident. In the accident I injured my lower back and my left side hit the driver side door post next to me. I have had nonstop issues from this point on. I herniated a lower disk and ill stop the boring story now but my point is that I have worked around my lower back issues, but I cannot do any type of trap exercise without extreme discomfort post workout. I did not tear my rotator cuff, only tweaked it in a way that always bothers me ONLY when I work traps. I have continued to push through this and go ahead with my sets but anything over 135lb barbell shrugs and I pay for it for the next day or two. I have tried the barbell shrugs, close grip rows, and dumbell shrugs. I can do dumbells up to 45lbs with no pain,but this is still not heavy enough to instill growth to be up to par with the rest of my body. I also do heavy rack pulls in place of deadlifts due to my back, and I know that works the traps to a certain degree, but its not enough. If I dont work my traps I will look completely ridiculous because my arms and chest completely overpower them when I look in the mirror. Any ideas or experience would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
Im going to look into all of these as well. And I can feel muscle activation with upwright rows, but I dont know if they will add the mass that can be had with heavy shrugging movements. Thank you though

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I can feel muscle activation with upwright rows, but I dont know if they will add the mass that can be had with heavy shrugging movements.
If the Lillibridges like 'em, I've got faith in 'em. It's hard to replace deadlifts and heavy shrugs, but you do what you can.

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
I opted for rack pulls instead of deadlifts and it was a blessing in disguise because they hit my back like no other movement. Hopefully these new tricks can force some growth as well!

ExMuscleInfo

Awards
good that the rack pulls are hitting well with no discomfort to the back.
Only thing I can think of for traps shrug replacement is maybe doing it on the smith machine and less reps. Dont go for a very heavy weight but just enough to where you feel would ive some mass. Do stretches and smooth movements during the set. Also, Have you been through Phys therapy?

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
good that the rack pulls are hitting well with no discomfort to the back.
Only thing I can think of for traps shrug replacement is maybe doing it on the smith machine and less reps. Dont go for a very heavy weight but just enough to where you feel would ive some mass. Do stretches and smooth movements during the set. Also, Have you been through Phys therapy?
When I first healed up from the accident I did 3 sessions. I had no insurance however and it would have bled me dry. I started researching online on a lot of stretching and rotator cuff work, I started taking hot baths (almost impossible to get my big ass in that tub), and had a daily routine of icy hot patches. Over time it got better and better and now I feel no pain unless I go heavy on traps. I actually did shoulders/traps today and only did upright rows for traps with 10lbs on each side of the 25lb easy bar. 4 sets of 12 reps with no pain, ultra slow and controlled to maximize contraction since I cant go heavy. It looks pretty ridiculous but I keep my ego at the door, because im good with pain, but when I tweak my shoulder it hurts to stand, slouch, and lay down. Its rough! I just need to have some decent traps, I cant not work them.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i;jsessionid=04E3A9D07061E60B37678564001F1831-mcd01.hydra

I would read parts 1, 2, and 3. If shrugging type movements hurt, then that could be a sign that there are imbalances in your training. In that link is a chart talking about what I mentioned. I've built good sized traps by row variants of varying volume, intensity, and frequency. I can't remember the last time I did shrugs. Id do more Facepulls, seated dumbell cleans, Cuban press, pullaparts ect That's going to target your upper back and result in healthier shoulders

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i;jsessionid=04E3A9D07061E60B37678564001F1831-mcd01.hydra

I would read parts 1, 2, and 3. If shrugging type movements hurt, then that could be a sign that there are imbalances in your training. In that link is a chart talking about what I mentioned. I've built good sized traps by row variants of varying volume, intensity, and frequency. I can't remember the last time I did shrugs. Id do more Facepulls, seated dumbell cleans, Cuban press, pullaparts ect That's going to target your upper back and result in healthier shoulders
Thanks Sean checking it out now. I do face pulls for my rear delts, but thats another movement I have to be careful with. My main rear delt exercise is laying chest down on a slight incline bench and pulling the weights up (almost like a row) and holding for a count. I can do these all day without problems and get a great contraction.