Bobo, switching to strength

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Well it is football time or well it is for us people who are starting out in the spring at the collegiate level. I have quickly found that my speed is pretty close to a lot of the corners and receivers here and it also appears that my strength is fairly close if not higher than about half of the receivers. I really want to blow them out of the water, however, when it comes to strength. Size training right now is tough becuase of time constraints. I want to drop my workout days from 5 to 3 and make 2 days of sprinting/agility drills. My main question is what type of volume I should be doing. I know I should be focusing on the 1-6 rep range.

And my second question is what type of cals I should be taking in. I know if the volume is lower than I wont be burning as many calories, do I need to keep my cals extremely high or since I wont be growing as much should I keep them say 400 or so above maintenance?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can drop calories to around maintenance (or slightly above) and concentrate on a rep range 1-4. Compound exercises should remain about 4 sets while the isolation exercises can be reduced greatly. You will have to work that out to your time frame. Be sure to make you concentric action very explosive (just don't pull something! ;) )

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
You can drop calories to around maintenance (or slightly above) and concentrate on a rep range 1-4. Compound exercises should remain about 4 sets while the isolation exercises can be reduced greatly. You will have to work that out to your time frame. Be sure to make you concentric action very explosive (just don't pull something! ;) )
Okay cool yeah I have been doing very explosive leg presses to try and help out my explosiveness on my 40 yard dash time. So my split will probably look something like this.

Monday
Chest/tri's/abs- 2 sets of bb bench (1-4 reps), 2 sets incline db (1-4 reps), 3 sets of heavy dips (4-6 reps), 2 sets of OH extensions, 3 sets of weighted situps

Tuesday
Sprinting/Agility 45 minutes max

Wednesday
Lats/Biceps/Calves- 3 sets of bent bb rows (5 reps or so), 3 sets of db rows (6 reps), 6 sets of various isolated bicep movements (8 reps), 4 sets of explosive calf raises (12 reps)

Thursday
Rest

Friday
Legs/lower back/forearms/neck- 3 sets of squats (5 reps), 4 sets of explosive leg presses (6-8 reps), 2 sets of lunges (12 reps) 1 set of deadlifts (6 reps), various forearms and neck movements (very light on the neck) in between exercises

Saturday
sprinting/agility

Sunday
Rest

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if i could make a suggestion it would be move deadlifts to wednesday and do 3 sets of them, its VERY hard to do both squats and deads on the same day and deads are such a great exercise, i feel you should do them with all your energy ... on that note i never do squats and deads in the same week, i alternate doing them on their respective days each week

for reference i'm 5'8 200 squat 475 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps and deadlift 455 for 3 sets 4-6 reps ... i've found that the alternating weeks works great

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually from a pure strength point of view, squats followed by deads is a great combination IF you can handle the load.

Our strength and conditioning coach has us performing the above in the same workout twice a week.

First training session of them would be for for strength building and then the second training session would be for power (explosiveness) building.

It worked very well in my opinion. Are there better ways? I am sure there are. Many ways to skin a cat but I was impressed with the results I achieved through this type of training.

Good luck.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would also include powercleans, or hang-cleans in your routine. Both of those movements are ideal for explosiveness.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lakemount,

Switch Wed. with Friday and definetly keep squats with deads.

Tad50

Awards
I would also include powercleans, or hang-cleans in your routine. Both of those movements are ideal for explosiveness.
I couldn't agree with you more. Every athlete should incorporate those in their workouts. When I played basketball, my workouts were designed around squats, jump squats, deadlifts, power cleans, hang cleans, etc. It does wonders for first step quickness and vertical leap.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Lakemount,

Switch Wed. with Friday and definetly keep squats with deads.
keep squats with deads? would you mind elaborating on why you suggest that? sounds interesting, i might want to give it a try, i've just always heard that combining them was a bad idea.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
keep squats with deads? would you mind elaborating on why you suggest that? sounds interesting, i might want to give it a try, i've just always heard that combining them was a bad idea.
Well, for this type of training I would think you would want to minimize the number of days of leg soreness so deads and squats in the same day sounds good for this situation.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, for this type of training I would think you would want to minimize the number of days of leg soreness so deads and squats in the same day sounds good for this situation.
That is a major part of it since he working on agility and speed.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would not combine them? His type of training is not for hypertrophy but for strenght and explosiveness. Its a great combination for this type of goal while his sprint work is at least 2 days seperated from this workout.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Why would not combine them? His type of training is not for hypertrophy but for strenght and explosiveness. Its a great combination for this type of goal while his sprint work is at least 2 days seperated from this workout.
it just seems to me that for more strength/explosiveness, it would be better to do them on separate days so you'll be fresh each time. i know when i do squats or deadlifts, there's no way i'll be able to put everything i have into another PL movement.

the leg soreness makes sense though, although personally my legs aren't sore at all after deads, i'm just exhausted.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it just seems to me that for more strength/explosiveness, it would be better to do them on separate days so you'll be fresh each time. i know when i do squats or deadlifts, there's no way i'll be able to put everything i have into another PL movement.

the leg soreness makes sense though, although personally my legs aren't sore at all after deads, i'm just exhausted.
If you are doing heavy weight for 1-4 reps, you shouldn't be anywhere NEAR exhaustion after 3-4 sets. If you are, you need to work on the ticker.

Plus I know how Lakemount trains and how he responds and this is EXACTLY what he should do. He should only work legs with heavy weight once a week.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

And you still have to understand that he won't feel THAT sore. His volume is cut by a good amount due to his sprints. I want his CNS to recover as this is how he will gain strenght and explosiveness.

This is training more geared to athletic performance, not bodybuilding or powerlifting. He a DB so he NEEDS to fast, quick and strong.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Most of that article is based on traditional regiments you learn in any strength and conditioning degree. Defranco is well versed in this area and his programs work very well for athletic performance (his specialty for good reason)

This sounds familiar :D

" Lower Body Day – Unlike a traditional Westside template, you’ll notice there's only one major lower body day in this modified program. There's a reason for this: most beginner/intermediate athletes couldn’t recover from two lower body days a week in conjunction with their running and conditioning work. Their legs would never fully recover and it would take away from their speed and conditioning workouts. "