Help with goal

MuscleIron

Awards
Hey guys I just found out about this site and was told to check it out. So just a quick question. I am about 5'9" 180lbs 20% BF and I am looking for a new program to start up to help reach my goals. Right now I have just been working out whatever I want when I go to the gym and now I am looking to get stronger and bigger. My current stats are:

Bench 1x255
Squat 1x355
DL 1x385

I am looking to increase my strength while getting that "jacked", "swole" look. Not going for the leaned out cut bodybuilder look that you see on magazines all the time. However I would like to get down to about 10-13% BF.

Anyone know a good program that I can start up and start packing on muscle and strength?

MuscleIron

Awards
Any other programs that put me in the gym more, or have more volume?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can do drop sets and extra sets on main movements. Your final sets will reach up to 12 reps.

Assistance movements are 5 sets of 10-20. More days in the gym doesn't mean it's better.

Just my opinion.

MuscleIron

Awards
You can do drop sets and extra sets on main movements. Your final sets will reach up to 12 reps.

Assistance movements are 5 sets of 10-20. More days in the gym doesn't mean it's better.

Just my opinion.
What would be the most amount of exercises you would do for each day? 3? It looks like the big lift and then 2 additional exercises for each workout. Is that correct or would I add more to the 3?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What would be the most amount of exercises you would do for each day? 3? It looks like the big lift and then 2 additional exercises for each workout. Is that correct or would I add more to the 3?
Main movement + 3-4 accessory movements. You'll hit each "muscle group" twice a week.

I mention 5/3/1 because you said strength. Everyone thats followed 5/3/1 has gotten stronger. Tailor your diet to fit your aesthetic goals.

Others may chime in with their ideas.

MuscleIron

Awards
Great, I got nothing to lose. Also, as far as fat around my stomach area, I can lose all that just with diet alone?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

Quick explanation:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Downloadable E-Book, which contains absolutely everything you need to accomplish your specific goals:
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/531-2nd-edition-ebook-now-for-sale/

There might be a free version if you search hard enough, but $20 is money well spent.
good suggestion!

4 days a week is plenty! You could go there on the other 3 days for cardio??

As far as a plan with a direction, this is probably the one I like to see reccomend / reccomend myself. It's very simple, well laid out, and not too much or little volume. 5x5 is another easy / simple plan.

Great, I got nothing to lose. Also, as far as fat around my stomach area, I can lose all that just with diet alone?
Yup! it'll prolly be the last thing to go, so keep that in mind.

MuscleIron

Awards
Great, I will work on cleaning up the diet to drop the fat.

As far as the scheduling of the program I understand it is 4 on then 3 off. Is it possible to do 4 on 2 off? I would do 4 on 1 off if I could but I am sure you guys won't suggest it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as the scheduling of the program I understand it is 4 on then 3 off. Is it possible to do 4 on 2 off? I would do 4 on 1 off if I could but I am sure you guys won't suggest it.
No. Time off is a good thing. A lot of people don't like that thought.

I do:

Monday Deadlift
Tues or Wed Bench
Thurs or Fri Squat
Saturday OHP

I work 2 days on/off so my schedule always revolves. The book suggests appropriate days to lift.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great, I will work on cleaning up the diet to drop the fat.

You want at least 72hrs between consecutive lower body sessions or upper body sessions, per Louie Simmons. So space them out. Now, I'd like to take the time to say something that is going to be extremely important to your growth as a lifter:

MORE ISN'T BETTER. BETTER IS BETTER. Jim Wendler has forgotten more about being strong and jacked than you and I will ever know. So don't try to outsmart him, just listen to the man.