Help with goal

  1. New Member
    MuscleIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    13
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

    Help with goal


    Hey guys I just found out about this site and was told to check it out. So just a quick question. I am about 5'9" 180lbs 20% BF and I am looking for a new program to start up to help reach my goals. Right now I have just been working out whatever I want when I go to the gym and now I am looking to get stronger and bigger. My current stats are:

    Bench 1x255
    Squat 1x355
    DL 1x385

    I am looking to increase my strength while getting that "jacked", "swole" look. Not going for the leaned out cut bodybuilder look that you see on magazines all the time. However I would like to get down to about 10-13% BF.

    Anyone know a good program that I can start up and start packing on muscle and strength?

  2. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

    Quick explanation:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    Downloadable E-Book, which contains absolutely everything you need to accomplish your specific goals:
    http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/

    There might be a free version if you search hard enough, but $20 is money well spent.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    MuscleIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    13
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

    Any other programs that put me in the gym more, or have more volume?
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    Any other programs that put me in the gym more, or have more volume?
    You can do drop sets and extra sets on main movements. Your final sets will reach up to 12 reps.

    Assistance movements are 5 sets of 10-20. More days in the gym doesn't mean it's better.

    Just my opinion.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  5. New Member
    MuscleIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    13
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    You can do drop sets and extra sets on main movements. Your final sets will reach up to 12 reps.

    Assistance movements are 5 sets of 10-20. More days in the gym doesn't mean it's better.

    Just my opinion.
    What would be the most amount of exercises you would do for each day? 3? It looks like the big lift and then 2 additional exercises for each workout. Is that correct or would I add more to the 3?
  6. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    What would be the most amount of exercises you would do for each day? 3? It looks like the big lift and then 2 additional exercises for each workout. Is that correct or would I add more to the 3?
    Main movement + 3-4 accessory movements. You'll hit each "muscle group" twice a week.

    I mention 5/3/1 because you said strength. Everyone thats followed 5/3/1 has gotten stronger. Tailor your diet to fit your aesthetic goals.

    Others may chime in with their ideas.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  7. New Member
    MuscleIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    13
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

    Great, I got nothing to lose. Also, as far as fat around my stomach area, I can lose all that just with diet alone?
  8. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

    Quick explanation:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    Downloadable E-Book, which contains absolutely everything you need to accomplish your specific goals:
    http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/

    There might be a free version if you search hard enough, but $20 is money well spent.
    good suggestion!

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    Any other programs that put me in the gym more, or have more volume?
    4 days a week is plenty! You could go there on the other 3 days for cardio??

    As far as a plan with a direction, this is probably the one I like to see reccomend / reccomend myself. It's very simple, well laid out, and not too much or little volume. 5x5 is another easy / simple plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    Great, I got nothing to lose. Also, as far as fat around my stomach area, I can lose all that just with diet alone?
    Yup! it'll prolly be the last thing to go, so keep that in mind.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  9. New Member
    MuscleIron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    13
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%

    Great, I will work on cleaning up the diet to drop the fat.

    As far as the scheduling of the program I understand it is 4 on then 3 off. Is it possible to do 4 on 2 off? I would do 4 on 1 off if I could but I am sure you guys won't suggest it.
  10. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    As far as the scheduling of the program I understand it is 4 on then 3 off. Is it possible to do 4 on 2 off? I would do 4 on 1 off if I could but I am sure you guys won't suggest it.
    No. Time off is a good thing. A lot of people don't like that thought.

    I do:

    Monday Deadlift
    Tues or Wed Bench
    Thurs or Fri Squat
    Saturday OHP

    I work 2 days on/off so my schedule always revolves. The book suggests appropriate days to lift.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  11. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    609006
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    7.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleIron View Post
    Great, I will work on cleaning up the diet to drop the fat.

    As far as the scheduling of the program I understand it is 4 on then 3 off. Is it possible to do 4 on 2 off? I would do 4 on 1 off if I could but I am sure you guys won't suggest it.
    You want at least 72hrs between consecutive lower body sessions or upper body sessions, per Louie Simmons. So space them out. Now, I'd like to take the time to say something that is going to be extremely important to your growth as a lifter:

    MORE ISN'T BETTER. BETTER IS BETTER. Jim Wendler has forgotten more about being strong and jacked than you and I will ever know. So don't try to outsmart him, just listen to the man.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help with a first cycle given my goal/criteria
    By ArmyVet82 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
  2. HELP WITH MY GOALS
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
  3. Help with my goals?
    By JKC12482 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
  4. Help With Training Program - Personal Goals Inside
    By Soopaman in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 04:25 AM
  5. Help with goals.
    By BorixTheBlade in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in