DB Bench Pressing

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
I like to do DB benching for variety. Over the year I've increased the weight to the point where it's difficult to get the weight into position and lie down on the flat bench w/o stretching my shoulder in a way that just doesn't feel good. I'm using 100lbs+ DB's and usually put the dumbells on my knees when sitting on the flat bench and lie down while pushin the dumbells in place by kicking both my knees up.

Any other techniques out there? I find incline DB presses easier because I sit back kick on the incline bench and kick one knee up for one DB and then the other knee for the other DB.

I find this is limiting my ultimate DB benching weight because once I get it up I can do 15+ reps w/100lb DBs, but I don't think I can go any higher w/o risking shoulder injury in initiating the exercise.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I like to do DB benching for variety. Over the year I've increased the weight to the point where it's difficult to get the weight into position and lie down on the flat bench w/o stretching my shoulder in a way that just doesn't feel good. I'm using 100lbs+ DB's and usually put the dumbells on my knees when sitting on the flat bench and lie down while pushin the dumbells in place by kicking both my knees up.

Any other techniques out there? I find incline DB presses easier because I sit back kick on the incline bench and kick one knee up for one DB and then the other knee for the other DB.

I find this is limiting my ultimate DB benching weight because once I get it up I can do 15+ reps w/100lb DBs, but I don't think I can go any higher w/o risking shoulder injury in initiating the exercise.
Have you ever asked for a spot? Most guys don't have a problem helping a fellow lifter.

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Have you ever asked for a spot? Most guys don't have a problem helping a fellow lifter.
Absolutely...I never shy away from asking for a BB bench spot for a person who looks capable, but personally I've always found DB spotting clumbsy and inadequate - unless the individual in very knowledgable on exactly how to correctly spot and assist in getting the weight up for me. Guess that's why I still rely on BB as my primary mass builder instead of DBs!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely...I never shy away from asking for a BB bench spot for a person who looks capable, but personally I've always found DB spotting clumbsy and inadequate - unless the individual in very knowledgable on exactly how to correctly spot and assist in getting the weight up for me. Guess that's why I still rely on BB as my primary mass builder instead of DBs!
That's too bad. I get so much more out of DB's than I do BB's. I'll spot you. :D

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You guys are friggin animals! 130's ??

:box:

Agreed though. DB benches are where it's at.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's an idea for you about it. Do the DB Bench later in your chest workout. You'll be forced to use lighter weights anyway. That's what I do. My current chest routine looks like this:

3xBB Incline
3xPec Deck Flye
3xDB Flat Bench
3xCable Crossovers
3xDB Flat Bench Flye dropsets

I always do 2 warm-up sets for the first exercise and 1 warm-up set for each following exercise. Works like a dream so far. By the time I get to DB Flat Bench, I'm forced to work with stuff 50 pounds or more under my full max. Makes kicking the weights into position real easy.

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Here's an idea for you about it. Do the DB Bench later in your chest workout. You'll be forced to use lighter weights anyway. That's what I do. My current chest routine looks like this:

3xBB Incline
3xPec Deck Flye
3xDB Flat Bench
3xCable Crossovers
3xDB Flat Bench Flye dropsets

I always do 2 warm-up sets for the first exercise and 1 warm-up set for each following exercise. Works like a dream so far. By the time I get to DB Flat Bench, I'm forced to work with stuff 50 pounds or more under my full max. Makes kicking the weights into position real easy.
Good idea...I'll probably see how that works next chest workout. Ugh...that'll do a number on the ego though! :rolleyes:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Come on man, you gotta leave the ego at the door. The heavier the weight you work with the more likely you are to injure yourself. The way I always do my exercises is to try to make it as difficult as possible so I can get more results out of less weight. That's why I love exercises like incline curls and dumbell kickbacks. Incline curls are way tougher than standing or even preacher curls, and kickbacks are tougher than overhead extensions or skullcrushers. When you work with lighter weights, you work with stuff your joints and connective tissue are better able to tolerate.

Sure heavy work is ok once in a while, but few people are tough enough to be able to truly go heavy with every workout for any more than a week or two.

Another tip to make DB press tougher btw: don't use a full range of motion, just use the bottom range. As soon as you can feel tension being shifted to the triceps, start the negative. This makes sure tension remains on your chest throughout the entire exercise. I've been doing that for the past few weeks, and let me tell you I can't even come close to the same number of reps I can do with full range of motion.

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Come on man, you gotta leave the ego at the door. The heavier the weight you work with the more likely you are to injure yourself. The way I always do my exercises is to try to make it as difficult as possible so I can get more results out of less weight. That's why I love exercises like incline curls and dumbell kickbacks. Incline curls are way tougher than standing or even preacher curls, and kickbacks are tougher than overhead extensions or skullcrushers. When you work with lighter weights, you work with stuff your joints and connective tissue are better able to tolerate.

Sure heavy work is ok once in a while, but few people are tough enough to be able to truly go heavy with every workout for any more than a week or two.

Another tip to make DB press tougher btw: don't use a full range of motion, just use the bottom range. As soon as you can feel tension being shifted to the triceps, start the negative.
lol...I was just jokin around about the ego thing...there are plenty of times I use light weights and don't care what people think. Oh yeah...and I agree with your opinion - thnx for the input.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Another tip to make DB press tougher btw: don't use a full range of motion, just use the bottom range. As soon as you can feel tension being shifted to the triceps, start the negative. This makes sure tension remains on your chest throughout the entire exercise. I've been doing that for the past few weeks, and let me tell you I can't even come close to the same number of reps I can do with full range of motion.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you there that a partial range of motion makes a giant difference. I read a study that suggested that for pec training, there isn't much need to bring the elbows back beyond 90 degrees or parallel with the body/shoulders. It went on to state that those with injuries or trying to avoid injuries can even bench on the floor to keep the arms from going back.

I don't know how much I believe that but it does make sense.

I have used the kcikback method to get 90's up to my chest but after deconditioning for a month and getting sick twice..I'm as weak as a lamb so the 60's are no problem.
:frustrate

rjones

Awards
While on the subject, which way does everyone prefer to be spotted. Below the elbows, at the wrists, or the akward grabbing of the DB's? I usually go at below the elbows. And worse than positioning for DB press is DB shoulder press. It's hard to trust someone random to help get heavy DB's up quickly for the first rep on shoulders. Especially with touchy shoulders like mine.

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
I know what ya mean with the DB shoulder press. My wife works out with me and it has taken soo long for her to learn the proper way to spot. She would naturally go for the DB for the spot and I would try to get out a "NOOOOO!" but usually when I'm lifting heavy I cant talk too well! But now she goes for my elbow and she is actually very good at helping me get the DB up for shoulder press.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I usually lean into the DB's where they are pressed against my chest then just lean back. On inclines I usually have to use a little bit of help from MO (momentum) but it works and it doesnt hurt the shoulders.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The way I get into position for DB bench press is sit on the end of bench with the dumbells sitting on my knees straight up and down. I have someone behind me, help slow me down when I lean back to lay on the bench. The dumbells are automatically in position, all you have to do is rotate the wrists into the proper position and start pressing. I'm using 140 to 160lbs each hand and feel no strain getting into position.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I rep out about 3 sets of 150's on DB bench, and 125's on incline DB bench. I always ask someone not if they can spot, but just hand me the weights after i lay down. They never seem to mind, and always love to hang around and watch someone push that much weight. I think they feel good to knowing they can help someone who is able to do that weight. Or maybe I'm just proud of 3 years ago only being able to get 45's 8 times, and now hitting the 150's :D.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The way I get into position for DB bench press is sit on the end of bench with the dumbells sitting on my knees straight up and down. I have someone behind me, help slow me down when I lean back to lay on the bench. The dumbells are automatically in position, all you have to do is rotate the wrists into the proper position and start pressing. I'm using 140 to 160lbs each hand and feel no strain getting into position.
This is exactly what I do with 160's on flat, however, on incline the 160's get a little harder to get into place. In this situation I just role the weight up as I sit back, aîd it works great. The only problem I really have is with Arnolds or db press, in which case I have my spotter hand me one of the db's.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I normally push for around 8 with the last set ending on about 6 or 7.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly what I do with 160's on flat, however, on incline the 160's get a little harder to get into place. In this situation I just role the weight up as I sit back, and it works great. The only problem I really have is with Arnolds or db press, in which case I have my spotter hand me one of the db's.

Yeah, incline DB presses are a bitch for me to get into position. Usually have to have someone hand them to me.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I just dont get it where the hell do you guys workout that they have over 135db's. I've never seen a gym that has over 135's and I'm usually the only bastard that might use them, I carry in windex to dust them off every week.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
lol my gym stops at 150's. My school gym stops at like 130's I think, but they too never get used, since frat guys cant curl that much. :lol:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Unless you got pro bodybuilders working out at your gym it seems most gyms don't want to lay down the cash to get 150 to 200's. They figure they're not going to be used anyways. Makes me mad because I usually use DB's exclusively, but I refuse to do high reps with 150's.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have used 200's. When I was powerlifting. Unfortunately they only go up to 160's at my gym, b/c I actually need more weight and they will not go higher. (Golds Gym)

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
My gym has them all the way to 210lbs and only 5 members that I know of that use anything over 110.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
here's a tip for your original question- You can place the DBs on about your mid leg, then bounce them a few times (like doing a seated calf raise). the momentum will make it much easier to bring up.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I don't know whether to be depressed or motivated, haha, because I only BB bench the numbers being posted!