PCT training

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
What type of training should I follow while on PCT?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
INTENSE!, brief/abbreviated(45-60min. max), heavy, multi-joint exercises.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wrong.

Kill your volume, do not go to failure and do NOT go heavy.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Usually my second week into PCT I take the week off to decondition a little. For me it's the perfect time to take a break and give my body a rest when it needs it most.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Well...I'd listen to Bobo. I find intensity a must for me to keep gains (ecto/hardgainer) and I always shorten my w/o's. I can't take time off in PCT or I lose it, too. After PCT (4 weeks) I can take time off.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The more intenstiy, the greater chance of loss due to increased cortisol and low testosterone post cycle.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So would you propose fewer sets, and a lower weight/higher rep range for pct training?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
...hmmm. Guess there's more to learn. Is lower intensity AND lower volume suggested then? Seems like that might make it tough to keep gains. But then as you said, cortisol and overtraining will also cause problems in terms of keeping those gains...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Would POF be a good style to use? It doesn't have you go to failure and is only 2 sets of 3 exercises for each bodypart, let me know what you think.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
So considering you still continue to get stronger a few days into PCT when should you start this lower intensity training?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
You just have to remember that whatever it takes to make you grow, it takes less to maintain. During PCT your body is not in a position to make gains for sure, and even maintainance is hard. Lower volume and intensity is needed. What you can do is lower the weight a bit and do a split workout with low volume. It works nice for most. One guy here reccomended a 9 day split which I found worked well during regular training, and probably would be great for PCT.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't like heavy weight with only 5 reps at all during PCT.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You wouldn't get to the "heavy" weights until the second week of PCT doing a HAT split, due to the periodized fashion.

maybe a HST split starting at the 10rep microcycle, then moving down to the 5's in the last 2 weeks.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I followed HST style PCT training this time and went heavy 5 reps for 4 weeks post cycle. It seemed to work well, I didn't really lose any strength. If I remember correctly, Haycock and others there said lowering the weight PCT while test is supressed is not a good idea (however volume was fine to lower), comments??

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find lowering the weight does wonders. I've done this with several people (including myself) with PCT and their losses in both size and strenght is very small (one guy lost nothing)

Forgot to mention, rep tempo is lowered as well (so you actually NEED the lighter weight)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Jminis, it's a good time to decondition. If you've got no test why fight it?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I followed HST style PCT training this time and went heavy 5 reps for 4 weeks post cycle. It seemed to work well, I didn't really lose any strength. If I remember correctly, Haycock and others there said lowering the weight PCT while test is supressed is not a good idea (however volume was fine to lower), comments??
That's either Blade's or Lars' advice. The guy does know what he's talking about overall, but on PCT I think he's just a freak who can keep going no matter what. It takes a lot less weight to maintain muscle than it does to build it, and all you really want to do is maintain during PCT. That's the time to take it easy basically.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
During PCT you want to tax the CNS as little as possible but still obtain a growth stimulus while training and that would best served by decreasing the rep tempo and lighting the weight IMO. I would stay around 8-12 reps with a slow pace (which will cause you to use lighter weight).

But there are alsways those that can bounce back very rapidly and take a progressive load even during PCT.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes but those that do bounce back, and can take the progressive load should stand to benefit from either method.

I am one of those types, and have had the better success with Bobo's philosophy. (Not to kiss your ass, damn clown):rasp:

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
hmm... well before HST I used to keep the weight high and lower the volume PCT and that worked, basically the same concept there. If I do another cycle I will have to try lighter weight with strict slow form :)

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Does this apply to short cycles as well?
For example:
2 weeks 1-test/4AD
2 weeks PCT
2 weeks 1-test/4AD
2 weeks PCT + 4 weeks clean