Arm training

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.25%

Arm training

Hi all,

Looking at some tips for my arm training, not getting any where near the gains I should and now they are falling behind the rest of my body. Currently most weeks training triceps first doing 3 sets of rope push downs 8-12 reps. Kickbacks same as push downs . Close grip barbell same set and rep range. Biceps are normally dumbell curls 3-4 sets 8-10 reps, barbell curls same rep range and preacher curls same rep range.

I've also for the lAst month started doing triceps with chest dAy and biceps with back day to try get bigger results but have not had any luck with that , so any advice would be great at this stage.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

There is no magic exercise or number of sets or reps you should do. Make sure your legs, back, and chest take priority over your bi's/tri's.

Make sure your caloric intake is in check. If you want bigger anything, you're going to have to be in a caloric surplus.

Also, don't be afraid to move away from the typical 3 sets of 8-12. Switch it up and find what works for you.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Is that you in the avatar? If so, you certainly look in proportion to the rest of your body..

As Sean says, caloric surplus, will add overall BW and thus size to the limbs. (Remember however that a cut and defined arm will look bigger even though it may tape smaller) If one is taller and has slim arms to begin with, making them quite a bit larger or out of proportion with the rest of the body, is most likely not going to happen. Your body will maintain a fairly equal balance in size, especially if you have normal sized wrists and average to long linear arm muscles. Just doing lots more arm work never gave me much of a marked difference no matter how much I blasted and blitzed.
    My arms grew as much or better from heavy compound back work like rows or chins/pullups, benching and CGBP's, dips, etc., then doing some arm work a the end of a W/O with normal volume and frequency of anywhere from 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps. 2x 3x2 per week.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.25%

Yes that is the most current photo of my progress
    Has any of you done the 21s in either bi's or tri's just wondering how effective that would be ? And what sort of weight do you normally drop down to , I'm currently lifting 35 kgs on barbell curls for 8-10 reps .

Only thing I'm worried about in terms of increasing to many calories is I tend to get bigger around the waist before anything . Guess it's a bit of catch 22 ?
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by klafa13 View Post
    Yes that is the most current photo of my progress
    Has any of you done the 21s in either bi's or tri's just wondering how effective that would be ? And what sort of weight do you normally drop down to , I'm currently lifting 35 kgs on barbell curls for 8-10 reps .

Only thing I'm worried about in terms of increasing to many calories is I tend to get bigger around the waist before anything . Guess it's a bit of catch 22 ?
    Yeah its a catch 22. But its easier to lose 1lb of fat than gain 1lb of muscle. During a bulk anything up to a 1:3 muscle/fat gain (in lbs) is acceptable in off season, less fat is always better tho obviously.

For your arms...
    MORE VOLUME. beat the living fuk out of them with supersets, drop sets, pyramids, "run the rack" and even forced reps.

If you keep doing what you have always done... you will keep getting what you always got.

I also question the routine you follow for all your bodyparts. If you are growing everywhere but in your arms you are obviously not doing something right. I train for bodybuilding under the supervision of a coach that monitors my routine, diet, cardio and posing. I barely train arms but because of the amount of work I put into my back and chest they grow and don't need a lot of if any real individual work. My arm stuff is split and put in to the end of workouts and consist of 2 seperate triple sets for 3 rounds apiece.

If you chest is growing fast but your triceps aren't then do more pressing movement. If your back is growing but you biceps aren't then do more bent rowing, and bodyweight pullups and chins.
    The advice I give is just that... Advice, purely my opinion. Not medical advice
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Alot of people see great gains in bi's and tri's without any direct work at all. As others have said don't be afraid to switch up your routine, add some high volume stuff add some low volume stuff. Make sure you're pushing and pulling as well, bench, dl's etc... to really push growth.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.25%

Yeah will really concentrate on thAt I think for the next month and a half.
    Did 21s the other night what a killer workout that was ! Can't move my arms how sore they are, which can only be a good thing. If you guys have done them how often would you do them? I'm thinking once a month to change it up ?
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.87%

You will gain more arm development by training with heavy barbell work and chins/pullups then you will by hammering your bi/tris. You can be as sore as you want, your arms are not going to get bigger until you do.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.26%

High volume/lotsa reps on a small muscle group aka arms, for me ends up being a short workout . Dont burn em up. But make em hurt Agreed with whats been givin ! Overall BM will help the most.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i have heard before that to gain 1" in your arms you need to gain about 15lbs of overall mass. if that is true then the answer is obvious on what to do.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.64%

Try reverse grip bench. Load up the dip machine as heavy as you can possible lift. Both of these are great triceps mass builders. I save the cables for definition at the end of my triceps routine.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.26%

Quote Originally Posted by tcslick View Post
    Try reverse grip bench. Load up the dip machine as heavy as you can possible lift. Both of these are great triceps mass builders. I save the cables for definition at the end of my triceps routine.
    True story ^

Similar Forum Threads

1. arm training rep range
    By R1balla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
  2. Arm training
    By rojasdave in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 03:18 PM
  3. HELP WITH WEAK ARM TRAINING
    By jeff71yahoo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
  4. In need of some arms training critique....
    By showner3 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
  5. Arm Training With Maximal Weights
    By Sheesh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 06:05 PM