building muscle while low bf% vs high bf%??

rphash49

Awards
I'm assuming it's easier to build muscle while in a higher bf% but what is the science behind it. Probably a stupid question but does anyone have any input on this?

Reason for my question is this: I just finished a bulk and I'm sitting at 14%bf. I could do an aggressive cut and be down around 9% in 6 weeks give or take. But would I be limiting myself by doing so. Goal is to be 7-8%bf by April so I have plenty of time. but I don't want to cut myself short on possible gains. Love to hear a scientific answer

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
nothing too scientific, but it's generally easier to cut when you don't have too much bf to drop

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intermittent fasting protocol will give you some lean muscle and help you drop some body fat.

gmanall

Awards
The advantage of bulking while at a higher bf% is that you get better leverage on most lifts and can lift more weight which may lead to better gains(Which is why a lot of powerlifters tend to have a higher bf%). On the flip side I think your hormones aren't optimized the best at a higher bf% if I recall correctly.

rphash49

Awards
Greek and fl3x thanks for the reply. My original post was worded poorly. I dont have a problem cutting. My question: is it better to build muscle with a higher bf% or low bf%? Example: all things being equal(diet, training, etc) will I build more muscle at 14%bf or 9%bf? And why?

rphash49

Awards
The advantage of bulking while at a higher bf% is that you get better leverage on most lifts and can lift more weight which may lead to better gains(Which is why a lot of powerlifters tend to have a higher bf%). On the flip side I think your hormones aren't optimized the best at a higher bf% if I recall correctly.
Thanks

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Greek and fl3x thanks for the reply. My original post was worded poorly. I dont have a problem cutting. My question: is it better to build muscle with a higher bf% or low bf%? Example: all things being equal(diet, training, etc) will I build more muscle at 14%bf or 9%bf? And why?
I would hypothesize that you would see more gains overall just because you're eating more. But the thing is, what happens when you cut? You're going to lose some gains.

That's why I would try intermittent fasting.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I vaguely recall not just anecdotal reports but also at least 1 scientific study that supported the notion that the optimal bf% for building muscle is 12-14%. As someone mentioned at higher bodyfat you have the issue of higher estrogen to deal with, whereas at lower bodyfat percentages you might not taking in enough food to grow and you might have to deal with low thyroid or high cortisol levels, especially as you approach very low bodyfat levels.

Obviously this is more of a sliding scale and would depend on your bodytype (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph), if you're on super supplements (steroids), along with other factors.

rphash49

Awards
I vaguely recall not just anecdotal reports but also at least 1 scientific study that supported the notion that the optimal bf% for building muscle is 12-14%. As someone mentioned at higher bodyfat you have the issue of higher estrogen to deal with, whereas at lower bodyfat percentages you're not taking in enough food to grow and you might have to deal with low thyroid or high cortisol levels, especially as you approach very low bodyfat levels. Obviously this is more of a sliding scale and would depend on your bodytype (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph), along with other factors.
Great info thanks

rphash49

Awards
I would hypothesize that you would see more gains overall just because you're eating more. But the thing is, what happens when you cut? You're going to lose some gains.

That's why I would try intermittent fasting.
Ok got it thanks