Question for runners about 200+ lbs. Tough Mudder training

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I did the Tough Mudder and trained for it back in 2010 when I was 180 lbs. I'm training for it now but after 4+ years of lifting I'm 197 lbs and seem to have a hard time beating a 5k in less than 26 minutes. What I'm saying is now that I'm 15+ lbs heavier I'm concerned that I'm going to have a harder time finishing the Tough Mudder this year. Was considering running with a backpack filled with some weights. Any recommendations for running 10+ miles? Training tips?

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
First off,
I wouldn't worry so much. As you know, the Mudder is hardly 10 straight miles of running--with waiting in lines at the obstacles, I recall it being just as much waiting as running (but I am biased, as a runner myself).
For training.
I absolutely would NOT run with a weighted backpack. That is unnatural, increases your risk of injury, and has little positive transfer over to the Mudder (unless you are doing it with a weighted backpack).
The best approach is a gradual one: get out at least 3x a week to run, adding distance gradually. To get more precise, run 2 x 30 min or so each week and run a longer run (45min +) . Adjust as you get fitter, adding no more than 5% total distance each week.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Fellow 200+ pounder here! I've done warrior dash and Spartan race and some local events like the tough murder. Pretty much just start concentrating more on cardio. You cash still lift like you normally do, just focus more attention on getting that cardio up so you can run a few miles relatively easily.

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys. Gonna try 6 miles and see how that goes. Last Tough Mudder by mile 10 my quads were killing me. Probably from the treck though the mud mile. I figure If I can do 10 miles I should be good. The TM is in October so I've got 2 months left to train.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. Gonna try 6 miles and see how that goes. Last Tough Mudder by mile 10 my quads were killing me. Probably from the treck though the mud mile. I figure If I can do 10 miles I should be good. The TM is in October so I've got 2 months left to train.
You should be golden.
The key is to take it at a measured pace-don't try to rock a 10 mile tempo run tomorrow.
Get enough cardio in each week to build and keep a base, hit a long run each week for your confidence and you will be fine come October.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
like everyone else mentioned, you dont have to focus on running. for the most part you will hit a bottle neck or have to wait for your team mates, slow down in the mud, ect. the key i have found works well is training with circuits because as long as you have the endurance to run 6 miles straight at any pase, you will do fine. where i went wrong on my last mudder i stopped running a few weeks before the race, did perfectly fine, except my calve got a charlie horse and i was shot.

you should do fine if you have decent endurance, but make sure your muscles have endurance. once you hit an wall or mud, your muscles fatigue!