Building Width

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Need some advice......lost 15 lbs over the last 2 months, diet, cadio training....everything is on point. Wife was happy but of course says...."You have lost your width....

So question.....Aside from side laterals and lat pulldowns....anything else I am missig to put some width back??

Have a great weekend!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keeping the waist trim, will certainly make the shoulders appear wider too. Arnold used to make a point of his narrow shoulders, and compared to others BB'ers, he did have less shoulder width. (which can be rather genetic) His trim waist made him look quite wide. (then again maybe not a good person to compare our natural selves to.)
Nothing wrong with back work and some delt work. Personally, I feel heavy OH pressing does as much for building broad delts and thick shoulders as laterals. YMMV. Heavy DL's, rowing and chinning too.
Lastly, even if you make the area thicker, and not necessarily wider, you will still create the look of a weighty strong guy.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Keeping the waist trim, will certainly make the shoulders appear wider too. Arnold used to make a point of his narrow shoulders, and compared to others BB'ers, he did have less shoulder width. (which can be rather genetic) His trim waist made him look quite wide. (then again maybe not a good person to compare our natural selves to.)
Nothing wrong with back work and some delt work. Personally, I feel heavy OH pressing does as much for building broad delts and thick shoulders as laterals. YMMV. Heavy DL's, rowing and chinning too.
Lastly, even if you make the area thicker, and not necessarily wider, you will still create the look of a weighty strong guy.
Thx so much. Great advice.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heavy weighted pull ups and rack chins. However, when you're doing the movement "feel" your lats pulling you up. Don't just get up to the bar to get up there actually go through the movement. Don't forget to throw in some higher rep work as well.

How do you normally workout? What rep range? If you've been constantly staying in the same range switch up to trigger new growth

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pull ups do it for me....currently 2 or 3 times a week.

Say your training chest, add pull ups....other time training legs, add pull ups.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll second and third all that. Heavy full ROM strict standing presses and dead hang pullups. Vary your grips on the pull ups. Wider overhand once a week and shoulder width neutral another time. When you can do a dead hang pull up in good technique with 50+ pounds strapped to you for 5+ reps your back will look great.

ryan22

ryan22

Awards
Behind the neck presses for shoulders with a rather wide grip