cardio...before or after?

exrugger

Awards
So I searched for this but didn't get anything that was clear...for the purpose of cutting is it more beneficial to do cardio before or after lifting?

I'm thinking that lifting would deplete glucose/ketones for energy and that the variation of cardio after weights would boost the metabolism longer and feed on a higher percentage of fat stores (assuming that glucose/ketones have been hit good from an intense routine).

Any thoughts/science to back up if cardio is better before or after lifting for burning bodyfat?

locality

Awards
WARNING BROSCIENCE ~ I've heard that if you do cardio first, you get more from the lifting after or vice versa. Not sure how true this is, but I really don't think it matters in which order you do it in as the fat stores will get used up eventually if you train long enough.

I usually warm up with cardio (30 minutes) to get the central nervous system fired up before lifting. Lifting burns more calories long after you finish than when you do cardio, which has more of an immediate effect (read this in a book called Abs Diet For Men). So if you burn out your fat stores from cardio and then lift, it may burn calories from remaining fat stores longer through out the day. (low carbs and proper supplementation)

IMO, you're putting too much thought into this, but that's good as this is the way to maximize benefit.
However,
as most people would tell you, cutting is mostly diet. Just be on point with your nutrition and you'lll shed fat like a Husky sheds hair in the summer.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
High intensity interval training, like running hills, 2-3 times a week will be more effective than any low intensity cardio done before or after your lift.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Zir speaks the truth! There's so much info out there about both before and after lifting cardio being "better" that it's really personal preference if you're just doing low intensity. If you really want to burn the fat, HIIT is where it's at. Hey, that even rhymes!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Working in 30 seconds of HIIT after a super set has been working very well for myself and some of my more motivated clients. When done with all working sets, we've not only completed our strength or hypertrophy training, but also completed at least 10 to 12 minutes total of HIIT. The total caloric burn at the end of the workout is outstanding. Plus, the EPOC caloric burn keeps your metabolism going for quite some time.

Last edited:
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the most effective is the one you do.

exrugger

Awards
Ya I was just curious if there was a scientific study that could definitively prove which was better.

Personally I feel cardio after works better...currently HIIT on eliptical 5mph level 4 then 8mph level 4, 20 min 4-5 times per week w lifting 5x a week

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya I was just curious if there was a scientific study that could definitively prove which was better.

Personally I feel cardio after works better...currently HIIT on eliptical 5mph level 4 then 8mph level 4, 20 min 4-5 times per week w lifting 5x a week
That's interval training, but is it High Intensity? Go run 8 or 10 50-75m hills with a walk back for rest. Make note of the comparison in which feels more taxing.

exrugger

Awards
That's interval training, but is it High Intensity? Go run 8 or 10 50-75m hills with a walk back for rest. Make note of the comparison in which feels more taxing.
O its high intensity bpm is a steady 180 during the 'sprint', but hill runs do work well and I haven't done them in awhile. Unfortunately I don't have many good hills around here... the best ones are in the woods where the deer ticks are :(...plus temp has been close to 90 so I've been opting to run indoors recently.

locality

Awards
you honestly don't need hills, just do sprints. you run at your normal space and then sprint all out for a good minute and return to normal jogging. repeat.
IE: bounding drills, high knees, or straight up striding.

locality

Awards
shiiit, you can even use a heavy bag. punching and kicking full intensity and then relaxing with strong jabs/knees.