F'd up wrists

HappyDogg

HappyDogg

Awards
All,

I suffer on and off tendinitis in both wrists which is brought about mostly by heavy barbell, or concentrated curls. Unfortunately it's flared up pretty bad right now.

Any ideas on good bicep moves which are gentle on the wrists? Hammer curls and pull ups are fine... But want a bit more variation!

Cheers for any input

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off have you tried trigger point therapy in the upper and lower arms, then stretching the forearms some?
Bicep exercises,
Chin ups or weighted chins
Low cable rows
Supinated pull dwns

Arm work
Have you tried doing a curl with your hand pretty much open just letting your thumb keep it hooked or not tensing the bar much. They are quite hard and isolate the bicep like crazy.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree with the trigger point idea, manual therapy has come a long ways and nerve innervation is important to understand when pain pops up.

HappyDogg

HappyDogg

Awards
Not heard of trigger point therapy before. I'll look it up and in the meantime ill try a curl without gripping the bar. In my mind that already seems like it should be less painful

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not heard of trigger point therapy before. I'll look it up and in the meantime ill try a curl without gripping the bar. In my mind that already seems like it should be less painful
An older book by Bonnie Prudden covered it very well, making a bodo and everything. "Pain Erasure"
I might also be tempted to tell you about ART. "Active Release Therapy". Painful but pretty dang effective, especially if you find a person who knows what they are doing.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Chin-ups with narrow grip. There's also some good arm programming out that favors TUT over heavy weight. Concentration curls irritate my elbows and tendons so I don't do em.

Jcweinsx

Awards
What's TUT bro ?
TUT= time under tension. Use less weight, go for more reps, strong contraction at end of concentric part of movement, slow the eccentric phase and control the weight as you lower back to the starting position.

Jcweinsx

Awards
YouTube "Kai Greene I'm not a weightlifter" to see it in action

FederalLE

FederalLE

Awards
I had this same problem. I saw a guy using "Versa Grips". Kind of a hybrid wrist wrap. I love them. I couldn't barbell curl 25s on the bar when I was hurting and now I'm back up to repn out 45s standing. No pain at all. I use them for bench movements to prevent accidental hyper extensions as well. Saved my scaphoid a few times.

SinisterNix

SinisterNix

Awards
Antagonistic balance homie... If you aren't actively training hand wrist and forearm strength in some way, your wrists and elbows will get all dicked up at some point. "Mastery Of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield is an outstanding place to start, as is "The Grip Master's Manual" by the same author.

A couple simple things you can try-take a bucket and fill it with sand, push your fist into the sand and then open your fingers. Repeat until you feel a nice burn. You could also throw some various sledge levering movements into the mix as well.

Comprehensive strengthening of all aspects of grip (support, crushing, pinching, etc) is vital for maintaining hand/wrist/elbow health, and will blow up your forearms and biceps as well. You can even get some amazing shoulder/pec/upper back work from short steel bending.

Remember, the stronger your hands are, the stronger the rest of you will be!

HappyDogg

HappyDogg

Awards
Information like the stuff in this thread is exactly what I joined AM for!!

Quality input guys