Is my 5/3/1 BBB Workout Good?

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
Can you guys let me know if this is good? If so, what can be replaced or added?

Example workout of Week 1 - I did the Monday workout today and it felt great to me...

1RM of bench press is 185, 90% of 185 is 166.5.. Week 1 is 65% set 1 of 185, 75% set two of 185, 85% set three of 185.

Monday:
Bench Press - 3 sets - 115x5, 125x5, 140x5
DB Press or Incline Bench - 5 sets, 10 reps
DB or BB rows - 5 sets, 10 reps
Curls, tricep pushdowns, or face pulls - 5 sets,10 reps

Tuesday: (Say our 1RM deadlift is 205 - so 90% is 185)

Deadlift - 3 sets - 120x5, 140x5, 155x5
Squat - 5 sets, 10 reps
Abs/other

Thursday: (Say our 1RM military press is 135 - 90% is 120)
Military Press - 3 sets - 80x5, 90x5, 105x5
Bench Press - 5 sets, 10 reps
Chins - 5 sets, 10 reps
Curls, tricep pushdowns, or face pulls - 5 sets,10 reps

Friday: (Say our 1RM squat is 245 - 90% is 220.5)
Squat - 145x5, 165x5, 190x5
Deadlift - 5 sets, 10 reps
Hanging leg raise or something else - 5 sets, 10 reps

This is what i started today and I love it. I have a friend who says I should do his 4 day split, which is shoulders/triceps monday, back/abs tuesday, biceps/chest thursday, and legs friday. He is doing "Dougs 4 Day Split Workout" if you search it in Google. ( I can't post links yet )

He insists with the 5 sets of 10 reps in 5/3/1 training I will just cut and overtrain, and that the workout is weird. I don't know what to think because he has been going to the gym longer than I have, but I feel like this is superior to other workouts I've tried. Thoughts?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great workout plan. Gives you exact numbers to do and consistent progression. It's a no bull**** plan. Jim wendler knows how to do it.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
Looks good. The only problem I see. Is the BBB deadlift. Nothing good comes from high rep deadlift. Also, don't do touch and go dead lifts either.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks good. Your friend is a moron by saying 5x10 will make you cut and not big. I gained 20lbs from eating and 5/3/1.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know what to think because he has been going to the gym longer than I have
[/FONT]
If you are looking at ones experience as an indication of their knowledge, im sure Wendler has been lifting longer than your friend

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just looked up "Doug's 4 Day Split"

There's absolutely nothing special about it. 5/3/1 lets you hit everything twice a week, and progress in weights. It's structured. Your friends split is just random exercises slapped into body groups. You now have "Deadlift, OHP, Squat, and Bench days" No more "arms" or "legs" day.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But then I misunderstood your comment...
Nothing good comes from high rep deadlifting
Maybe I would not have commented if you said something more like..., For your level, you should wait for a bit perhaps, until you get more time under you belt on that many sets reps!?
Still, its going to depend on his form, not necessarily how many sets/reps. His form could be at just as much risk, doing them with more weight and less sets and reps.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is nothing to question here. Just follow the program. After all the program is only designed around the compound lifts. You choose your own accessory lifts.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
But then I misunderstood your comment...
Nothing good comes from high rep deadlifting
Maybe I would not have commented if you said something more like..., For your level, you should wait for a bit perhaps, until you get more time under you belt on that many sets reps!?
Still, its going to depend on his form, not necessarily how many sets/reps. His form could be at just as much risk, doing them with more weight and less sets and reps.
I was addressing OP. "You," is implied. Again, just trying to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neRL9gOWDZE

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
There's nothing inherently wrong with high rep deadlifting. The argument of technique problems isn't unique to that lift and could just as easily be stated for high rep squatting.

OP, this is a fine approach and will probably prove far more effective than haphazardly throwing together your own bodypart split. Your friend doesn't sound too bright, so I wouldn't pay him much mind. Volume and time under tension are two of the biggest factors influencing hypertrophy and you'll get plenty of both using 5x10. If you eat, the rest should take care of itself.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I did the "Tuesday" workout today, it was awesome.

I wouldn't say that my friend is a moron lol, he does what works for him but I am curious as to why 5/3/1 is better or why his 4 day split is better? I know the answer has been given by a few of you - how volume and time under tension with 5/3/1 make it great, but can you list the pro's and con's of each (5/3/1 and 4 day split listed above)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Your friend seems to be in the mindset that more reps= increased weight loss. Has he heard of eating? Coz that offsets weight loss and turns it into weight gain. Also, the deload week in week 4 will prevent overtraining provided you follow the plans as written.

Secondly, and this is VERY important for 5/3/1, is that on the last set you do AMRAP (so week one would be 65%x5, 75% x 5 then 85%x 5+. That plus means as many as you can do. Don't stop at 5. That is they key to the program. well, one of the keys.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
which is shoulders/triceps monday, back/abs tuesday, biceps/chest thursday, and legs friday. He is doing "Dougs 4 Day Split Workout" if you search it in Google.
Well, if you look at the actual W/O's and frequencies, Jim is having you train the biggest compound exercises, body's structures and entire system, 2x per week.
The other way, cutting the body into many parts and separate days, is most likely not the best and most efficient way to train, especially if, your goals are overall mass and strength and just getting as large and strong as one can. Plus, I do not know specifically what Doug touts as the goals in his program? Jim is more from the PL'ing side of the tracks, maybe Doug is a BB'er!?

Overtraining IMO, has scared some people into staying in a safer zone of training and perhaps not having them reach fuller potentials, since if one wants to reach certain heights, you have to be willing to push into areas that your body is not adapted to at present. Just looking at programs and saying that will have you overtraining, is not always accurate, since there can be many variables that factor in. I have to wonder if there are any elite or reg champs out there that have never overtrained!? Not saying trainees need to do it, but how will you know how far you can go without coming close to it for a measuring stick?

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
A few things from me:

1). Last set is as many reps as possible. Maybe leave one in the bank. Not to failure, but close. This was said earlier by someone.

2) unless you are very experienced, I would not bother to deload every cycle. With the poundages you are talking about you're not gonna overtrain unless you are living on coffee and donuts. I never deload, but I do take a day here and there when I need it.

3) get some micro plates and keep the jumps small. It will extend the time you get before plateauing.

4). Add in some HIIT conditioning. Hill sprints a few times a week would be best.

5) Eat everything in sight that had to be killed, harvested, or from the tit of a cow.

I've been at 5-3-1 for a few years and it is a great plan. You can start to branch out into other templates as you get more experienced.