How to fix a big in-balance?

Stu101

Awards
Hi all,
this is my first post on here but been following the site for a while now. I'm after a little help and advice...

Since 2004 i've been doing endurance sports, cycling, triathlon, ironmans etc. In November 2011 I had a bad cycling accident and broke the ball off of the top of my right arm and it was in 4 pieces. So I had to have a large metal plate and 10 screws to get it all back together. (Its all still in there) After 14months of general rehab and not much training I managed to get myself in a gym to start lifting weights and try to get my strength and movement back. Since starting weight training again in January this year i've managed to make good progress and big strength gains. My body seems to be responding and growing pretty quickly but my right shoulder is still a struggle. From the scaring and slightly restricted movement my front delt and side delt do not seem to be responding as I hoped it would and I am noticing that I am bigger on my left than right side. The scar has left a noticeable chink / valley running up the middle of my front delt if I do a double biceps pose and there is no height to it like there is on the left side. I want to try and bring on my right side but im not sure the best way to go about it. What would you recommend? Should I try and increase frequency just on my right side so maybe do right shoulder work every 2-3 days and just train the left every 4-5days? Or would it be better to just do drop sets on the right side only? Or should I try to add some more weight just on the right? Or are there any other techniques to try and fix a big in-balance?? Cheers any advice appreciated.
P.S my right pec & lat are also lagging slightly and lack the same thickness as the left. My arm is slightly shorter now so I wonder if the slightly reduced lever length is also causing this.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Congrats on your determination and commitment to comeback and be as close to 100% as possible.
Have you talked to a physical therapist who is more experienced in accident and or surgical repairs, thus the single joint or balance training that would accommodate such an articulated joint like the shoulder?

Stu101

Awards
Congrats on your determination and commitment to comeback and be as close to 100% as possible.
Have you talked to a physical therapist who is more experienced in accident and or surgical repairs, thus the single joint or balance training that would accommodate such an articulated joint like the shoulder?
Hi Paul,
i did have some physio help in the early stages of recovery but not recently. Im currently living in China so Im a little short of options here. There are a couple around so I could give that a go again. Cheers.

gravitygames

Awards
hey stu sounds like youve been down a ruff road. I had a bankart reconstruction on my right and i to had some probs with my shoulder. they did the open surgery so i got a five inch scar. Im prowed to say last yr i broke my own record with a 400 lbs bench for one quality rep. It took me yrs to get where i am now and it was a grueling battle to get where i am. I wounder, now this is just a idea, to tuff it out and push that bad one and kind of leave the other alone to a point. I know really no other way to create balance. a couple months of tuff work on one and not the other may create a eye ball difference but lets face it surgery can really mess things up and cause a forever difference. use your best judgment listen to your body. take some time to strength train the bad one, but dont stop using it or it will get worse. pain will always be there its part of the game. dont over train it a plate sounds like a tuff opstical. i got 10 bone anchors. keep up the good work never give up and i wish you well. the above recomendations sound good to.

Stu101

Awards
Thanks for the motivation gravitygames. Its good to here you got to PB shape after a tough obstacle. I have decided to add a few drop sets on the right side, keep pushing it and see where I m in a few months time. Ive gone from being unable to even lift my arm to being able to move a reasonable amount of weight so I guess I should be happy with that after 1 1/2yrs. Hopefully another year from now I will be much further on still.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How old are you BTW?
Because even if you are in your 30's early 40's, you can still have a great bit of room to move up in strength/size, depending on what you really focus on.
I am still moving certain lifts upwards and I am 50.

gravitygames

Awards
1 1/2 yrs for that type of movement is outstanding for what youve been through. I wish you the best in you training buddy. remember
" Pain is temporary, pride is forever" " Bodybuilding is not a race its a marathon" Heres to you my friend!!!

rockme

rockme

Awards
It may balance itself out eventually. You may also simply be bigger genetically on one side, in which case there's nothing you can really do. Just focus on that mind/muscle connection and exercise time under tension