Pulled Hamstring - Too much quad work a bad idea?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
About four weeks ago I was stiff leg deadlifting when I pulled a hamstring. I was half way through the second set of 8, getting a real good squeeze on the muscle when - POP! - I hear that and feel my hamstring shorten. Felt like it had pulled up into my hip and hurt like hell. I panicked initially and thought I'd torn it, but went to the doc and he said I'd just pulled it good and that I should stay away from hip extension for a few weeks. Made sense.

I took about 2 weeks off from thigh work and just hammered my calves, but I've been squatting with my heels up on plates for the last two weeks and my legs haven't lost much size. My concern is this:

I'm not doing any direct hamstring work, but I'm still beating my quads up every 3 day and I'm worried that a strength imbalance might develop between the front and back leg. This has been good for my quad development, but I kind of prided myself on having strong and fairly well developed hammies. I've never had knee issues, but I know that strength imbalances between the quads/hams is a recipe for that.

Should I continue on with what I'm doing or just do something more along the lines of maintenance for the legs? It's feeling better every day, but I'm still thinking it'll be at least a month before I box squat more than 3 plates.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would cut back on the quad work. As you said you don't want imbalances. Could focus on upper body more and let lower body recover.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
That's what I've been doing. My upper body is pretty solid. I figured I would just hit some weaker spots like upper back, rear delts and arms until everything comes back online. Could always use more arms as a bodybuilder, right?

Does anyone know of a good way to train the lower back without too much hamstring involvement? I was getting very strong in the glute-ham raise before the injury happened and I'd like to maintain some of that stiffness down there. (I'm talking about my back)

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You ever try wrapping it and trying wall squats? Start slow but hamstring heal very well just because of the blood flow, but if you don't properly rest that wont be the case. Sounds girly but your basic PT moves are adequate measure of how close you are to loading the bar up again. ROM exercises>BW iso movements> compound BW> light weight compound> UNLEASHED!!! All should be achievable 3-4 weeks post the injury date

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing some light rehab/stretching, but my ROM is still not great and even bodyweight lunges if I take a very deep step get pretty touchy.

I'm gonna just start at 0. Bodyweight good mornings, some glute bridging/thrusting, light resistance on the bike. It's feeling better slowly but surely all the time - probably just a matter of letting another week or two flow by.

I just miss those heavy deads and squats.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glute bridge sounds awesome hopefully the GMs dont tweak ya so bad. Having to back off heavy lifts always sucks but Im sure you will be beasting it sooner than ya think

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smokey8766 Injury / Rehab 37
Supplements 9
enhanced Injury / Rehab 9
enhanced Injury / Rehab 0
DaveyCrockett Anabolics 2