Rear delts

Aussteve

Awards
When's the best time to train rear delts--

1. With back only, then train shoulders and traps together.
2. With shoulders only, then train back and traps together.

Probably not overly important as long as they're getting trained. Thoughts and explanations/logic much appreciated :)

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I hit them with back, only like 2 or 3 sets of rear delt flies. I feel like it hits my traps a bit too so that's my reasoning. But I have a 3 days split with legs, upper push, upper pull. So traps are on back day and front/side delts are on upper body push day.

aceroni

Awards
Before you press on chest day and with some upper back work on back day

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rear delts are a bit of a weakness for myself as well as many others. I've brought mine up quite a bit doing them on shoulder days and then some weak point training on back days as well after I finished my main lifts. I was using fst7 for quite a while and would do either reverse pec dec flys or reverse cable flys for my fst7 set along with facepulls and dumbell rear delt flys. Seated cable rows to the neck hit them pretty hard as well.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i found it best on back day, i really dont have a shoulder day. i also found them best trained with higher reps

Aussteve

Awards
i found it best on back day, i really dont have a shoulder day. i also found them best trained with higher reps
Cheers fir reply! I like em on back day too. What exercises/ set/rep range you do?
I like face pulls but with a wide overhand grip on the lat pull bar, pulled into throat + a couple sets bent laterals!

Aussteve

Awards
Before you press on chest day and with some upper back work on back day
Yeah ok, never really thought about it before chest but it does make sense eh!! I know my flat bench has come up since I specifically started to train rear delts!! ( maybe just natural progress )

aceroni

Awards
Yeah ok, never really thought about it before chest but it does make sense eh!! I know my flat bench has come up since I specifically started to train rear delts!! ( maybe just natural progress )
No, your bench will skyrocket if you train your upper back really hard.
Try these:

Fat man rows / inverted pullup
Face pulls
Ytw's
Pendlay rows
Super wide snatch grip rack pulls

Aussteve

Awards
No, your bench will skyrocket if you train your upper back really hard.
Fat man rows / inverted pullup
Face pulls
Ytw's
Pendlay rows
Super wide snatch grip rack pulls
Yeah , I been a track sprint cyclist all my life now turned bodybuilder and am learning all the time! Def got the posterior chain sussed after 20 years of smacking it hard so I think that's the only reason I have a half decent bench now! Done some BIG squats and rack pulls over the years!!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Cheers fir reply! I like em on back day too. What exercises/ set/rep range you do?
I like face pulls but with a wide overhand grip on the lat pull bar, pulled into throat + a couple sets bent laterals!
reverse pec deck, reversed grip single arm db rows, bent over flys, 12-15 reps

pmdied

Awards
Yeah , I been a track sprint cyclist all my life now turned bodybuilder and am learning all the time! Def got the posterior chain sussed after 20 years of smacking it hard so I think that's the only reason I have a half decent bench now! Done some BIG squats and rack pulls over the years!!
Nice! I raced criterium and mountain bike before switching over to bodybuilding. Finally, I have an upper body and not just legs!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
define best. as in best for what?

i try and do facepulls or band pullaparts, or some sort of work back there every workout. no matter what i did.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Probably not overly important as long as they're getting trained. Thoughts and explanations/logic much appreciated :)
Well, rows can target the rear delts, especially prone/overhand barbell rows and DB rows, especially the more flared your elbow is relative to your shoulder/body. When I used to do a more BB-oriented training, I would train them directly on my shoulder days, and I would use lots of rows to bring them up on my back day. Nowadays my split is more along the lines of an upper/lower split, so I do them every upper day for balance.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As others have said I do them on on shoulder days but feel they get worked well with the amount of rows I do on back days. If training them specifically I normally go high rep.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I focus on them directly on my chest/shoulders day and I am sure they get hit a bit on my back day.

Bilbo Bagins

Awards
I very rarely train rear delts directly and they are one of my best assets. My preference is to train the basics, nothing fancy, so lots and lots of multi-grip pullups, rows, facepulls, and overhead pressing has done the trick for me.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I very rarely train rear delts directly and they are one of my best assets. My preference is to train the basics, nothing fancy, so lots and lots of multi-grip pullups, rows, facepulls, and overhead pressing has done the trick for me.
That and your ring of power, dont recall anyone facepulling in the shire....

Aussteve

Awards
That and your ring of power, dont recall anyone facepulling in the shire....
Ahh, but are the size of their d***s in direct proportion to the size of their feet!?!?
......................or am I just the only one who wonders this!?!?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Ahh, but are the size of their d***s in direct proportion to the size of their feet!?!?
......................or am I just the only one who wonders this!?!?
Have you not seen the documentary "hairy feet, hairy sack" featuring samwise gamgee?

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I hit em on both.. It gets tricky trying to split them so that the rear delts can recover so you cud train them again because you don't wanna do shoulders after chest and vice versa nor do you wanna do back after shoulder if your training them directly both workouts

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I hit some heavy rear delt work on shoulders day, then hit traps, then hit rear delts with some machines and let my traps enjoy the extra pump I get during the rear delt exercises.

bossman523

Banned
Awards
also a weakness for me but i have been trying to hit them more regularly. how much, if at all, are rear delts used in the deadlift?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
u_e_s_i Training Forum 5
Reds91 Training Forum 6
BadSeed Training Forum 12
Training Forum 2
skindog101 Training Forum 7