Push Pull Legs Split

FromAus

Awards
Is it best to do Push/Pull/Legs three or six days a week. Because with three i don't feel as i'm not training enough to transform my body to the way i want it, but with six it may be over training and not enough rest. Could you please comment your Push, pull, legs split below?

PROness

Awards
Is it best to do Push/Pull/Legs three or six days a week. Because with three i don't feel as i'm not training enough to transform my body to the way i want it, but with six it may be over training and not enough rest. Could you please comment your Push, pull, legs split below?
I did it when I was 18 averaging about 200 sets per week and added 25 lbs. of muscle in about six months after H.S. football. It looked something like this:

Push 1:
Bench
accessories

Pull 1:
Deadlifts
accessories

Legs 1:
Squat
accessories

Push 2:
OH variation
accessories

Pull 2:
Rows
accessories

Legs 2:
Squat
accessories

Easy.

FromAus

Awards
But did you do push pull twice a week witch is six days training or only once a week?

ITW

ITW

Awards
While 3 days a week with proper programming will suffice, for the intermediate and beyond lifter I feel like it is simply not enough volume. That said, 6 days a week is pushing the envelope. You won't "overtrain" your muscles, but the CNS taxation could be a problem depending on a lot of factors. Really need more information for that. So if you want to train 6 days a week, go ahead. Think you could hop on a proven program and make better gains in the long term though.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
best for what? what are your goals? what were you doing before? what has worked well for you in the past? how long have you been lifting?

infektid

infektid

Awards
I didn't want to start my own thread but I was hoping to get some input on this as well. I have been doing a 5 day split using a 6th day to work on whatever I felt was lacking and 7th day for cardio if needed. However Im feeling that my workouts are being coming stagnant and my lifts are not really increasing much, even when modifying the rep/set ranges.

So, I think im going to give the Leg Push Pull a chance.
If someone could post a full Legs Push Pull split that would allow me to hit each part 2x a week that would be great. Rep and Set ranges would be nice also but not nessessary.

Thanks in advance.

TexasGuy

Awards
I've used this split with some success. I found lifting heavy the first three days and then for hypertrophy the second set of three best.

I also changed lifts for heavy and hypertrophy days. Back squats, deads and presses were the center of my heavy day and front squats, straight leg deads or good mornings were the basis of my high rep day, with "accessory" work for chest and shoulders. Barbell rows heavy, cable or dumbell light et cetera and curls throughout.

The key is recovery. Eat lots of protein, 1.5-2.0 grams per pound (studies demonstrating less don't take futile turnover of such a routine into account. Usually they center around like 20 people who do 15 reps of leg extension or some ****), eat fruits and veggies for inflammation control and scarf carbs for energy and glycogen stores. Sleep is important

iForce Dave

iForce Dave

Awards
  • Established
i always reccomend people to adjust the training to their life schedule, not try to do the other way around

it will make your life a lot easier and enjoyable and i dont think it really matters as long as its consitent and doing it this way consistency will come naturally

ITW

ITW

Awards
i always reccomend people to adjust the training to their life schedule, not try to do the other way around

it will make your life a lot easier and enjoyable and i dont think it really matters as long as its consitent and doing it this way consistency will come naturally
Exactly. Exercise prescriptions are not one size fits all

TexasGuy

Awards
Yeah but what about answering the specific question?