How many hours of sleep do you get?

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Just noticing I seem to get 6hrs a sleep some nights and I wake up feeling like s***. Just wondering how many hours of sleep you guys typically get?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7 on a bad day, 8-9 normally, and up to 10 on Sunday.

ITW

ITW

Awards
Now that I'm on summer break I'm getting 10+ hours everyday. Feelsgoodman

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
7hrs of sleep following a training day? Do you also wake up feeling like crap? Just wondering because on 6hrs sleep after a day of training I wake up tired but the one guy at my work claims he regularly gets 5hrs sleep and feels great lol.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Now that I'm on summer break I'm getting 10+ hours everyday. Feelsgoodman
Nice man, with that kinda sleep you must be able to train like a beast!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Given the options would you guys sleep more and train less or train more and sleep less? These are really my only options for the week, on the weekends though I should be able to kill it at the gym and get some sleep.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not just the amount of hours, but also the quality of the sleep.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
6 to 9 hours. Trying for a baby so when it comes along 4hrs every 3 days LOL!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
6 to 9 hours. Trying for a baby so when it comes along 4hrs every 3 days LOL!
Haha good luck man, 4hrs sleep will be on a good day lol!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
It's not just the amount of hours, but also the quality of the sleep.
Yea i just don't think 6hrs is working for me on days that involve lifting, cardio not so much an issue. 8hrs on workout days and I'm fine but anything less and I feel like garbage. Tried splitting the routine up more to spend less time in the gym but it just doesn't seem to workout for me.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea i just don't think 6hrs is working for me on days that involve lifting, cardio not so much an issue. 8hrs on workout days and I'm fine but anything less and I feel like garbage. Tried splitting the routine up more to spend less time in the gym but it just doesn't seem to workout for me.
Life gets in the way. Invest in a pre workout like enhanced or iforce has a great deal on the planet which has conquer. The new pre by them along with hemavol. If you can go to bed earlier or take some gaba/melatonin that mite help.

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
7-8 hrs per night. I make sure I'm in bed with enough time to get those hours every night. If I'm feeling like I won't fall asleep quickly enough I will take zQuil and that usually does the job.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
7-8 hrs per night. I make sure I'm in bed with enough time to get those hours every night. If I'm feeling like I won't fall asleep quickly enough I will take zQuil and that usually does the job.
Zquil has acetaminophen in it. Its a nsaid. Can prolong recovery. Another topic for another day.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Zquil has acetaminophen in it. Its a nsaid. Can prolong recovery. Another topic for another day.
Why would they have a pain reliever in a sleep aid? I thought that was acetaminophen free.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
It is not a question of supps but definitely how much sleep I get. If everyone else on here is getting 8hrs+ than I know I need to fix my routine to focus heavy lifts on the weekends. Legs is probably the most taxing so I guess that and chest for saturday and sunday?

jiggero

jiggero

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes you just get what you can I average anywhere between 4-7 hours. 8 would be a treat.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6 if im lucky

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
ITW

ITW

Awards
What's preventing you from getting adequate sleep

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's preventing you from getting adequate sleep
Curious aswell. Although for me personally 6 hrs is plenty. Different for each person

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i get in bed so i can get about 8.5 hours of sleep, i then usually fall asleep to get 8 hours, but i do wake up at least once a night

i do find that something like 6.5 hours of sleep rather than 10 or 11 hours is better for me.....over sleeping kills me

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Curious aswell. Although for me personally 6 hrs is plenty. Different for each person
I have a 3hr round trip commute to work everyday. So basically I get up 5:45am and leave the house at 6:30am. I get home at around 7pm and then I eat and get ready for the gym. I'm in the gym 8-8:30pm finish up at 9:30pm eat, shower, etc. and go to bed at about 11-11:30.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually get 6-7, that will probably be less in September when our baby comes! I lift at 5:45 in the morning so usually try to be in bed around 10, usually takes me til around 11 to fall asleep, sometimes longer. Sometimes it's tough to wake up but once I'm up I'm pretty good to go throughout the day.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
anywhere from 3 to 9. i have lots of other hobbies besides working out that can keep my up late some nights.

but whenever i go to sleep i set an alarm to wake me up between sleep cycles. in other words every night i try and wake at a 90 minute interval. i started doing that back in january and even if i only get 6 hours a night i find i feel much more refreshed during the day. i was actually amazed. i thought for sure it wouldnt make a difference.

i got one of those apps on my phone that i used for a few months that recorded movement and sound. i used to toss a lot at night and make a lot of noise. i hardly make any noise now and dont move much.

jiggero

jiggero

Awards
  • Established
Even if I wake up after 6 hours sometimes I just wanna lay there in the bed for another half hour.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
anywhere from 3 to 9. i have lots of other hobbies besides working out that can keep my up late some nights.

but whenever i go to sleep i set an alarm to wake me up between sleep cycles. in other words every night i try and wake at a 90 minute interval. i started doing that back in january and even if i only get 6 hours a night i find i feel much more refreshed during the day. i was actually amazed. i thought for sure it wouldnt make a difference.

i got one of those apps on my phone that i used for a few months that recorded movement and sound. i used to toss a lot at night and make a lot of noise. i hardly make any noise now and dont move much.
What's the app called? I think that would be pretty interesting to check out

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
There were a bunch of them. I used several paid ones and used the 30 day trials then would switch. I use the app sleep timer to set my alarm based upon cycles.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I make sure I'm in bed around the 9 hour mark so I'd say usually 7-8.5 hours. I also take melatonin which I've found helps me fall asleep quicker. I'm still pretty bad about tv or the computer around bed time though so quality varies I suppose.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There were a bunch of them. I used several paid ones and used the 30 day trials then would switch. I use the app sleep timer to set my alarm based upon cycles.
I tried SleepBot last night, pretty crazy actually. It showed all the times I came out of sleep due to rolling around and stuff like that. Lol, pretty sure it caught a loud fart as well.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Here's study supporting the position on prolonging recovery

Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis.

AuthorsTrappe TA, et al. Show all Journal
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;282(3):E551-6.

"These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise"

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I get 6-7 hours a day, I work a lot, and I have two little kids, I'm a single father. I work at a rehab hospital on Sat, or Sat and Sun when I don't have my children, and we go to church on Sun. So needless to say I don't have a lot of time. I used to use melatonin, but it made me too groggy, I've been using a mag/zinc supplement, and I take some l-theanine before bed it helps a bit.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
About 8 here total, but with little ones I'm awake at least every 2 hours...not cool

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
With the heat lately I've only been getting like 5 or less for the past few nights. I finally broke down last night and turned the AC on to get a wopping 6hrs of sleep but i def feel better today. I'll have to try out that app mentioned in the thread and see if it does anything for me.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
With the heat lately I've only been getting like 5 or less for the past few nights. I finally broke down last night and turned the AC on to get a wopping 6hrs of sleep but i def feel better today. I'll have to try out that app mentioned in the thread and see if it does anything for me.
the most important thing i learned from the apps i have used, is to be sure to try and wake up based upon 90 minute intervals. even if its just 3 hours of sleep. give yourself 15 minutes to fall asleep as well. this may mean that your wake up time can change depending on when you go to sleep. at times you may need to wake up long before you need to but dont get that extra hour as it will make you feel worse getting woken up during a deep sleep cycle.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
the most important thing i learned from the apps i have used, is to be sure to try and wake up based upon 90 minute intervals. even if its just 3 hours of sleep. give yourself 15 minutes to fall asleep as well. this may mean that your wake up time can change depending on when you go to sleep. at times you may need to wake up long before you need to but dont get that extra hour as it will make you feel worse getting woken up during a deep sleep cycle.
This will definitely be a weekend experiment lol. So basically no matter what I should get up at 90min intervals from the time I fall asleep no matter how long the sleep is?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
This will definitely be a weekend experiment lol. So basically no matter what I should get up at 90min intervals from the time I fall asleep no matter how long the sleep is?
long or short.

tuesday nights are a very late night for me as i hang out with some old friends and we just let time get away from us. last night i didnt leave till 3 am. got home and in bed by 3:15 and set the alarm for 6:30. didnt need to get up till after 7 but i woke up anyways. this is also after my tuesday workout, which last night was 5x10 of squats followed by 15 sets of overhead work. i feel awake and a just a bit sore from the workout.

it may take a week or more to start to feel the difference. it took me over a week and at first it was subtle. over several weeks i felt better and better. after a month it was like a huge difference others even noticed.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This makes perfect sense. Many times if I wake up early and go back to sleep I am even more tired. I am gonna try this.