critique my routine

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
How's it going fellas, so I'm trying to get ripped for summer, here is my routine,I want to keep strength so I am going heavy and ending it light

Chest
200 push up combo (different types of pushups)
Bench press x3 and x1 Light weight
Incline press x3 ...x1
Cable high and low 2 sets each 15-25 reps
Overhead lat x3
Decline x3 ...x1
Dips x3

Back
80 pull up combo
Wide grip lat pull down x3..x1
T bar x3,..single arm row with bar max x1
Barbell row x3..x1
Upright row x3 max
Bent lateral x3 max
Shrugs x3 max

Lower back/legs
Ass to grass squats x3..single leg squat max x1
Deadlift x3
Leg press x3..x1
Hyper extension x3
Leg ext x3..x1
Leg curl x3
Calve raises x3 max

I need some help fixing up an arm routine, I mainly stick to full compound movements, and not so much isolation, for triceps I avoid close grip bench press and skull crushes,bothers wrist, and I am lacking shoulders, cardio 3x a week about 30-40 min, abs 3x a week

What I ate today

Gainer shake with oatmeal and banana

Tuna salad

Chicken breast and salad

Turkey sandwich an hour before working out

Gainer shake after working out

I will be keeping carbs to a minimum, as in break fast,lunch and post workout

Currently waiting on fat burner I will log and also taking nitric oxide, I am using Vince girondas technique 60%,75%,100%,30% if I remember correctly, except I'm doing this 80%,80%,100%,40% to build up strength, I log everything and go up at least 5lbs on every exercise

Reason I am drinking a gainer is to intake a bit more calories since sometimes I don't have time to cook, I. Also drinking a tea that helps remove excess water weight, planning to make my final meal 6th and all green juice mix

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Meant to say try to go up at least 5lbs on every exercise weekly

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would do a push/pull/legs 3 days a week or upper/lower 4 days a week, every other day

push-bench, overhead press, Tricep variations
pull- pull-ups, rows, biceps
legs-squats, lunges, sldl's

upper-bench, horizontal rowing, triceps
lower-deads and 2 other exercises
upper-overhead press, vertical back movement, biceps
lower-squats, 2 other exercises

That will give you some more balance. You can reduce your volume and bump up the intensity.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
so one day i do push/pull/legs, next day upper/lower, then rest or cardio, and start all over?

Ex routine:
Pushups
Bench press
Overhead press
V bar extension
pull ups
row
drag curl
squats
leg press

Upper/lower
pushups
Incline barbell

Deadlift
hyperextension
Overhead press

barbell crul
squats
hack squat
leg ext
calve raises
reverse barbell crul
shrugs

can i get examples of horizontal rowing and other effective tricep exercises, do this example sound good? like an A and B routine 4 days a week

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
and is only one shoulder workout effective? I want to shape my shoulder and make it come out a bit more, I am mainly looking to build my back,traps, and shoulder more, I believe the rest will follow and I already focus alot on my legs

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. You misunderstood me. Push/pull/legs OR upper/lower/upper/lower.

Monday Push
Wednesday Pull
Friday Legs

OR

Monday Upper
Wednesday Lower
Friday Upper
Subday Lower

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
I finished a week routine that way and did see some strength increase, how can I maximize the intensity to a routine like this? when I say maximize I mean it...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A week routine what way? You need more than a week to adapt to a routine.

rj123

Awards
I finished a week routine that way and did see some strength increase, how can I maximize the intensity to a routine like this? when I say maximize I mean it...
Maximizing a routine is up to the person doing it you choose how hard you wanna go any routine can be maximized if you want it to

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
If you want to get ripped you are going to need to be in the gym more than 3-4 days a week. I would suggest doing extremely high rep exercises 20-25 hitting all the major body parts legs, back, chest, then core, shoulders arms then legs, rest. then back, chest, core, shoulders & arms, legs, back, rest. And continue that cycle till you want to go back into build mode. Also one of the best things you can do to get "ripped" is eliminate your sodium intake all together and your carb intake after six. Depending on your BF you should start to see great results after a couple of weeks. The high reps should help bring out some great striations, and the low fat low sodium should help your abs. Its up to you though what exact exercises you like to do for each work out.

sean266

Awards
If you're looking for some arm work, try this out and LMK what you think :)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tempos/ Eccentric (negative): Contraction or stretch: Concentric (positive) (1:1:1 is just a straight set at a regular pace)[/FONT][/FONT]

V-Bar Pushdowns

ss w/

Cross-Body Hammer Curls:
4 rounds of 12 each w/ 60 secs between supersets

Dips: 10:1:1
4xfailure w/ 90 sec rests (really focus here and keep the tension on the tris regardless of how bad it burns)

EZ Bar Curls: 2:1:1
4x8 w/ 60 sec rests
Seated DB Hammer Curls (palms up the whole time): 2:2:2 (10 reps)
Ss w/
Close Grip Push-Ups: failure
4 rounds w/ 2 min rests

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

is it bad that i think of this after reading this thread. it reminds of reading flex magazine and seeing some 150lbs kid trying to do the same routine as am IFBB pro.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
I weight 200, been lifting for 3 years but still learning, that is why I constantly switch routines, I try to come up with my own because i know what an IFBB pro does isn't going to help me in any way due to the supplementation and nutrition and EXTRA KICK

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
I weight 200, been lifting for 3 years but still learning, that is why I constantly switch routines, I try to come up with my own because i know what an IFBB pro does isn't going to help me in any way due to the supplementation and nutrition and EXTRA KICK

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
But i also constantly ask question because I know theres people out there that have way more experience and knowledge, I am proud to say that my routines most of the time need some tweaking and criticism

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
McCrew530

thanks, I try to stick to full compound movements, I haven't done any isolation movements for about 5 months, should I add a few?

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Sean1332

Sorry that was a typo, I meant to say I finished a 6 week routine similar to the one you brought up to me about 4 weeks ago, should I jump on it again? Will it really help me cut? When I was on that routine I was on a bulk phase so I did see strength and size increase

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
McCrew530

thanks, I try to stick to full compound movements, I haven't done any isolation movements for about 5 months, should I add a few?
The advice I gave is simply something that has worked for me in the past and has helped me bring out definition in muscles. Having a good mix of Compound movements with muscle isolation movements is probably the mots effective way to go about a gym session but your best bet to get ripped over the summer is to step up your number of reps and really focus on your diet. There are so many different "programs" to fallow but I have achieved the best results by putting together my own routines that very in exercises from work out, to work out. That way you can be sure that you never do the same thing twice, your work outs wont get stale, and you can get creative in the gym. There are many different ways to hit each muscle group, if you know the basic ways muscles react to different programs/ routine, high rep vs low rep, drop sets, burn outs. etc you could literally do the some "movement" at least a dozen different ways and have your body react in a different manor. Sorry for my ramble, in summation high reps will bring out striation, mix up your work outs with compound and isolation exercises, eat right and with some dedication you should be chiseled by summer, as long as your not like 25% fat right now. If that’s the case shoot for next summer to be ripped!

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Mc Crew

what do you think about the push/pull ; upper/lower type of routine, do you believe it's ideal for cutting or should I focus on a 4 day split and I am looking to train legs and shoulders at least twice a week

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Mc Crew

what do you think about the push/pull ; upper/lower type of routine, do you believe it's ideal for cutting or should I focus on a 4 day split and I am looking to train legs and shoulders at least twice a week
I think if it works for you go for it. If you dont mind me asking though why shoulders twice a week? I understand legs and they are usually a weak spot for most people your shoulders are already incorporated as stabilization with chest and back if you overly stress them the rest of your upper body work outs will falter.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
I feel like im lacking size and formation there, I am thinking of hitting an arm routine today like this:

overhead press
front smith machine
side laterals
Barbell curl
preacher curl
alternating dumbell curl
v bar cable pushdown
reverse straight bar cable extension
dips

your welcome to tweak it up

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Your goals were to get lean and at least maintain strength. So why are you training like a body builder, eg build muscle.

By your goals a program like 5/3/1 with the North of vag template would do you far better. The great thing is thousands have done 5/3/1 with success. There is no need to tweak it. You can do it for years. And that is experience for you.

As for diet, read up on carb cycling, intermittent fasting, and carb back loading. Pick one and follow it exactly. No need to tweak it.

From experience I have learned not to spend hours and hours each week designing a orogra tweaking it so much I never end up going anywhere. Follow proven programs, get results, and enjoy life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Training Forum 5
-MVP- Training Forum 8
P.brow17 Training Forum 4
Workout Logs 0
Training Forum 8