Need help with new program, weight loss, and motivation

bigjohn58

Awards
I've been an avid weight lifter ever since I was 14 and playing football. I worked out 5 or so times a week every week until I was in my late 20s and even did some powerlifting competitions when I was 22 and 23, but lately its been a struggle. I am trying to get to the gym 3 times a week but that hasn't even been going too well. I'm just not motivated. I'm in the worst shape of my life and I'm 31 now. I went from weighing 190 a few years ago to now 240 (I'm 5'9" at best) and there's no increase in muscle thats for sure...its just fat. I've had a series of health problems (stemming mainly from a prohormone cycle I did when I was 23) but I try not to let too much slow me down until lately. I got a new job and that kinda drains me as the day wears on. I really want to keep lifting weights but my motivation just isn't there. I know I need to be doing more cardio and my huge problem right now is my diet. It may sound weird but I really miss not being able to get myself to go to the gym and I'm thinking a new routine of some sort will get me motivated. Once I get in a solid routine I'm thinking the diet thing will fall into place because I will be more motivated and goal oriented. I'm still pretty strong and even though I do not lift nearly as often as I used to I still have a bench press of over 300, a squat of over 300, and a deadlift over 400 pounds. Anyone have some suggestions?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) that you wat something strength oriented and 3 days per week. I would look into Wendler's 5/3/1. He has a very informative book that's cheap and explains it all. Others will throw suggestions here and I'm sure they're just as good. It was simple to follow, structured, and made gains in strength and size (size defendant on your soon to be newly acquired diet)

I would add in some conditioning work as well such as sprints, sled pulls, prowler sessions to increase your work capacity.

You acknowledged that you have to make changes in your life so Step 1 is out of the way..

napalm

napalm

Awards
^^^ what he said.

Sounds like you know what you need to do

Time to take control brother...

rj123

Awards
And get some craze pwo you won't wanna leave the gym after that lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) that you wat something strength oriented and 3 days per week. I would look into Wendler's 5/3/1. He has a very informative book that's cheap and explains it all. Others will throw suggestions here and I'm sure they're just as good. It was simple to follow, structured, and made gains in strength and size (size defendant on your soon to be newly acquired diet)

I would add in some conditioning work as well such as sprints, sled pulls, prowler sessions to increase your work capacity.

You acknowledged that you have to make changes in your life so Step 1 is out of the way..
+1

Excellent advice here

bigjohn58

Awards
Wasn't really expecting someone to say another power lifting routine. I was kinda leaning more towards something that had more movements or compound lifts or reps. My joints and back certainly feel my power lifting days. Thanks for the speedy reply!

rj123

Awards
Wasn't really expecting someone to say another power lifting routine. I was kinda leaning more towards something that had more movements or compound lifts or reps. My joints and back certainly feel my power lifting days. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Try a compound exercise only routine then something like that might be what you're looking for BB.com has a good ar***** on it with example routines I would post the link but I don't have enough posts on here yet to do it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not a powerlifting routine. You rarely work close to 90% of your 1RM and third sets are as many reps as possible. The whole program is compound lifts and reps, that's why I recommended it.

bigjohn58

Awards
It's not a powerlifting routine. You rarely work close to 90% of your 1RM and third sets are as many reps as possible. The whole program is compound lifts and reps, that's why I recommended it.
Maybe what I looked up and found wasn't what you were talking about. Do you have a link somewhere to the workout?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe what I looked up and found wasn't what you were talking about. Do you have a link somewhere to the workout?
Elite FTS, T-Nation both have articles written by Wendler. Nothing you find online will be comparable to what's written in his book, unless the article is by Wendler itself. People might see it as a powerlifting program (and some do use it for that) because they see 5x5, 3x3, and 1x5 1x3 and 1x1 but the last set is always as many as possible so you could be hitting between 5-12 reps. Then all the assistance work is 10-20 reps.

I mentioned it because you mentioned having decent numbers on your Big 3 lifts. The program is worked to improve those lifts, but will help you gain overall strength, and it can be accomplished in 3 days a week. Diet alone will dictate whether you gain or lose weight.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can look into cube method by brandon lily is you dont think 5/3/1 is something you want

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Search on scrib. You should be able to find the ebook there

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a new found love for Scribd..and the Cube
You used to be able to download everything on there but they changed it to needing an account and paying for membership. Theres still lots of gems on scrib though

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You used to be able to download everything on there but they changed it to needing an account and paying for membership. Theres still lots of gems on scrib though
Download the app...I have every book/article by Wendler, Tate, Simmons, Rippetoe ect