sore legs

exrugger

Awards
I just got back into a fully healthy lifestyle (run, lift, diet strict) and decided to start training with bodyweight as well. I did 200 body squats below parallel; 3 sets total, 60 seconds between sets. For the past two days since doing this and running afterwards my legs have been super sore to the point that walking up stairs is a challenge. I tried mega-dosing bcaa's but its not working to help alleviate some soreness so I can go for my daily run. Also I'm on a keto diet, not sure if this could have something to do with it.

Does anybody have some advice? I really want to continue to work out w/out taking another day off (took Sunday off).

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
An increase in activity that drastic is going to cause DOMS. It should get better and less dramatic with time but you could try contrast showers/treatment, foam rolling or some light activity, say walking instead of running. I'm not sure there's really a definitive answer for relieving it but those help me recover quicker.

exrugger

Awards
Sucked it up and went for a hiit session, I started with a ten minute walk and ended on a ten minute walk. Total distance was 3 miles. I didn't feel sore after warming up but an hr and a half later and the DOMS are creepin back. Hopefully tomorrow will get better as tomorrow is squat day.

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
Always get dons after leg day thought it was just natural cause I'm on them a lot of the day too.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Fish oil

Msm 3g day. Go to pubmed and search for this if you want to know why J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 Sep 27;9(1):46. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-9-46.
Influence of methylsulfonylmethane on markers of exercise recovery and performance in healthy men: a pilot study.

Epsom salt bath

No aspirin or ibuprofen. Inhibits protein synthesis ie recovery

Compression i keep lower legs wrapped for most of the day after a hard leg training session

elevate legs for min 30 min a day

Go for a walk or very easy bike .the point of this is movement and circulation not to get a work out

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha, I can't begin to count the times/days after squats where stairs became a workout along with taking a full 8 minutes bending over to get a pencil. Ahhhhh....!
There has always been some structure on me that is/was sore on me sometime thur the course of any training week.
That said, you will slowly adapt and will not be sore or as sore doing what you are doing. As soon as you up that load, then you again might get real sore.
A bit of active recovery, some massage, drinking enough water etc. helps too.

20 rep squats used to cripple me when I first would start a cycle. As the cycle wore on and I got used to them, the soreness the next day was minimal.
Frequency with less intensity building over time can work to stave off the DOMS too.
ie: If you would have taken 7 days to work into doing those 200 reps/3 sets of BW squats you would most likely be less sore.
It is like building a callous on your hand, too much at one and you feel a blister. Easing in and you build a harder skin resistance.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
Ha, I can't begin to count the times/days after squats where stairs became a workout along with taking a full 8 minutes bending over to get a pencil. Ahhhhh....!
There has always been some structure on me that is/was sore on me sometime thur the course of any training week.
That said, you will slowly adapt and will not be sore or as sore doing what you are doing. As soon as you up that load, then you again might get real sore.
A bit of active recovery, some massage, drinking enough water etc. helps too.

20 rep squats used to cripple me when I first would start a cycle. As the cycle wore on and I got used to them, the soreness the next day was minimal.
Frequency with less intensity building over time can work to stave off the DOMS too.
ie: If you would have taken 7 days to work into doing those 200 reps/3 sets of BW squats you would most likely be less sore.
It is like building a callous on your hand, too much at one and you feel a blister. Easing in and you build a harder skin resistance.
Solid advice.

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
*Nostalgic Moment* Ahh, I remember my first leg day, way back when. I couldn't walk right or sit on a toilet for a week without wanting to die. tigerdb2 is right. When you change something that drastically, you're going to get sore. Your legs will get used to it after a while. Mine get pretty sore whenever I change my routine up, still.

ITW

ITW

Awards
I have a friend who never lifted before. Brought him to the gym, had him do 5x5 squats. He basically needed crutches the next 5 days haha

murk01

murk01

Awards
I just got back into a fully healthy lifestyle (run, lift, diet strict) and decided to start training with bodyweight as well. I did 200 body squats below parallel; 3 sets total, 60 seconds between sets. For the past two days since doing this and running afterwards my legs have been super sore to the point that walking up stairs is a challenge. I tried mega-dosing bcaa's but its not working to help alleviate some soreness so I can go for my daily run. Also I'm on a keto diet, not sure if this could have something to do with it.

Does anybody have some advice? I really want to continue to work out w/out taking another day off (took Sunday off).
get some PS... the full name is something like phospherysirne...
buy bulk powder the stuff is expensive. 200-300mg x3 a day... after a week u dont get sore anymore. stuff is amazing..

Aussteve

Awards

The first few words in your post is the key here mate and that is that you have just got back into training! Sorry to say your going to get sore, DOMS. it's all about waking your body up again and getting sore is, unfortunately part of it! It will ease and get better, just takes time!
During this period I always find the key is active recovery. That is do something that you are used to doing that will be a very low level of exercise! Probably walking or spin bike etc, to promote blood flow! That's the active approach! A mors passive approach to blood flow is hot baths/showers, heat packs etc .......... kind of just common sense really, it's a natural process!

Prob not what you wanted to hear but in my opinion there is no magic pill for DOMS, s*** I wish there was!!!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a friend who never lifted before. Brought him to the gym, had him do 5x5 squats. He basically needed crutches the next 5 days haha
So, are you guys still friends???