Snatch!!!!!

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
Who does em? How much? And @ what body weight?

Snatch 205 @160lb

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Too technical of a movement for me to attempt properly...

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I rarely do them anymore as I'm no longer in a weightroom with platforms but my PR is 221 at BW of 174. Can't imagine I'd sniff that currently

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Yeah it was something I was pretty proud of but unfortunately my venue changed and now even heavy O/H squats have fallen off simply bc I don't feel comfortable ditching metal plates on the floor where I currently train. Anyone with respectable olympic lift numbers and sound form gets automatic respect in my book. You've got a damn good number there yourself

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't done them since high school football.

Best was 185@140. I'm stronger now, but I haven't practiced the technique in a long time, doubt I'd touch it again without a good month of practice first (and even then it's questionable)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't attempted them in a long time. So I would say the bar haha.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's awesome. I don't do them often, although I love snatch pulls and snatch high pulls, and overhead squats. Best was 195 @ 200 lbs.

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
That's awesome. I don't do them often, although I love snatch pulls and snatch high pulls, and overhead squats. Best was 195 @ 200 lbs.
Lol I was doing OH squats last month at my gym lost my balance and dropped the weight into the wall it left a nice plate size hole hahah

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol I was doing OH squats last month at my gym lost my balance and dropped the weight into the wall it left a nice plate size hole hahah
I've gotten pretty good at dropping and ducking. My OH is around 250-260 right now, and I can probably get that up to 275 if I train it more often. For me, the OH is not the limiting factor, its the hitting the 3rd pull correctly so that I can catch it over my COG, and not let it get out in front of me.

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
I've gotten pretty good at dropping and ducking. My OH is around 250-260 right now, and I can probably get that up to 275 if I train it more often. For me, the OH is not the limiting factor, its the hitting the 3rd pull correctly so that I can catch it over my COG, and not let it get out in front of me.
doing snatch balance should help alot, also i film all my oly lifts then i reveiw them compare them to pros and send them to my oly coach, getting to watch yourself really lets you know where your ****ing up

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you a crossfitter or do you actually train Olympic lifts? No flaming intended, I just see a difference between the two.

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
Are you a crossfitter or do you actually train Olympic lifts? No flaming intended, I just see a difference between the two.
i am a crossfit trainer but my personal programing has been primarily OLY for the last few months with maybe 1 or 2 days a week will be crossfit before working with a coach my snatch was 165, lol starting June i will be going to a powerlifting gym for 3 months to get my DL bench and Squat up, i love Crossfit to death but its not solely gonna get me a 500pound back squat.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i am a crossfit trainer but my personal programing has been primarily OLY for the last few months with maybe 1 or 2 days a week will be crossfit before working with a coach my snatch was 165, lol starting June i will be going to a powerlifting gym for 3 months to get my DL bench and Squat up, i love Crossfit to death but its not solely gonna get me a 500pound back squat.
I'd actually like to do some research on this and get some solid data to support my hypothesis.

But, I think what we are starting to see with most of the top level crossfit competitors is a shift away from the traditional Glassman Mantra of random WOD's and an actual focus into blocks of specific work, periodization, and specificity. Like I said, I'd love to get out a questionnaire to the national qualifiers to see if this is actually the case.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The owner of the gym I train at is an Elite powerlifter. The biggest majority of gym patrons are crossfitters with a small majority of fellow powerlifters. The owner got his crossfit certification along with a few others and they've actually implemented somewhat of a block periodization for all of the main movements. The rest of the WOD is just the normal crazy crossfit stuff. If you're interested ZR I can send you their link of WODs.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd actually like to do some research on this and get some solid data to support my hypothesis.

But, I think what we are starting to see with most of the top level crossfit competitors is a shift away from the traditional Glassman Mantra of random WOD's and an actual focus into blocks of specific work, periodization, and specificity. Like I said, I'd love to get out a questionnaire to the national qualifiers to see if this is actually the case.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
This is how I feel. Also believe this is how it should be. Don't mind programming like this. It is the glassman of random bs that irritates me.

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
Every one who competes at an Elite level are using very good programming.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Every one who competes at an Elite level are using very good programming.
I'd actually like to connect with those people. It might not be great for CF from a business standpoint, but from an evidence based approach to enhancing performance, I think it is something that needs to be documented and discussed. Then again, no one reads scientific journals anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt them at all if the evidence shows that you will not attain national level performance of physique doing a bunch of random WOD's.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd actually like to connect with those people. It might not be great for CF from a business standpoint, but from an evidence based approach to enhancing performance, I think it is something that needs to be documented and discussed. Then again, no one reads scientific journals anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt them at all if the evidence shows that you will not attain national level performance of physique doing a bunch of random WOD's.
Ya what is business savvy and what is most effective isn't always the same.
Basically what happened to a friend of mine. The crossfit box he was going to lost all of its trainers except the owner. Now the workouts are programmed for the masses and not specialized. Plus he is pushing members to get certified to become trainers for him.
Not to worry people just ignore scientific data that contradicts their position anyway.

liftstrong

liftstrong

Awards
The difference of an every day cross fitter and rich froning isn't just programming, very few people have the ability to reach that level, even with excellent programming, HGH and a diet of champions. Those competitors are born with something special. Same applies to almost all pro athletes and Olympians

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
My snatch is pretty weak. I need to do a lot of shoulder mobility work to get where I want to be, but my for is solid. My max effort snatch is 155, and I weigh 160.
I'm glad to see people here opening up to the fact that legit CF gyms and trainers are popping up!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
My snatch is pretty weak. I need to do a lot of shoulder mobility work to get where I want to be, but my for is solid. My max effort snatch is 155, and I weigh 160.
I'm glad to see people here opening up to the fact that legit CF gyms and trainers are popping up!
*form....not for....dam typos

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Most of the elite CFers don't do the traditional WODs. They spend their time on specific programming for the oly lifts and then practice skills on the side. If you look at the Outlaw programming, it's based around the big oly lifts and with accessory work like clean pulls, hang snatch, snatch drop/balance, etc. I don't consider myself to be "elite" by any means, but I rarely WOD with everyone at my gym. I follow VERY specific programming and work 1:1 with a coach every week. I have good friends going to regionals and they don't ever do random WODs.

There's a big split between some boxes and others in how they do their programming. Some follow Glassman blindly, some don't. The elite folks don't - I can tell you that with certainty.

I love the snatch (TWSS) and am currently working with a coach to fix some form issues. My PR is 125, and I weigh about 145. That s**t is weak sauce, and I want to get my #s up into the 140s/150s eventually. All of my issues are form related at this point.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I've been following the Wendler program myself and then just hitting 1, maybe 2 WODS a week to keep some form of cardio. I will do snatch work only when I'm pretty rested since it requires a tad more concentration