Cardio-too far?(Heart Rate question)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
So I have gotten back into training after a Chiro finally got my pretzel of a spine(Snowboard injury) into what seems to be fully functional status.

I noticed an old habit that I used to have. Hitting cardio hard, its easy for me I am a cardio based limber kinda guy. But my heart rate can get pretty high, it does not bother me but I am wondering about the safety.

Most of the training I keep it in the 160-180 range(I do interval cycling between res 14-res 8 out of a max of 20 at 1-1 ratio). But about 3/4ths of the way through my HR will jump to the 200 range. Then all of a sudden the HR monitor goes wacky and blank out then the next thing I know my HR is showing as 106-108.

This used to happen all the time and I thought it was the machines at the old gym I used years back.

Well now I know its obviously not the machine. My worry is that once my heart gets beating at that savage pace that its skipping beats or the likes.

Any experience or input? I feel fine while doing it, but it is perplexing and I have a very high tolerance for pain to where I ignore most things.(When I sprained my spinal cord and twisted it up I drank a beer slept for 30 minutes then went back on the slopes...lol).

EDIT: I would love to go to a sports doctor and do cardio while hooked up and being monitored but the coin is currently not there for me to do so. Maybe in like three months. I have pretty decent insurance, just spending money to keep the car running currently.

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Go see a cardiologist!! Sounds like U may have a PVC ( pre-ventricle contraction) My sister is a runner 5k to marathon's and she has this problem. She is on meds for it and can do anything. But def go see a doc!!!!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
PVC is a pretty serious suggestion considering the situation the OP described. Thats a pretty large diagnostic jump and may cause unnecessary panic. First off, my question would be how old are you in order to decipher your age predicted HR max, not always conclusive but will objectify. Then can you provide more information as to the work you are engaged (mets, mph, incline, rpe, etc) and mode at which it is being completed? Also, consider the fact that your HR may be exceeding what the machine is designed to function at. With that said what brand equipment are you using and is it being read through the chest strap or the handles (if handles, being able to hold on with a HR of 200 you've got some problems). These machines read electrical impulse and are not always of the greatest quality so if the rate of firing exceeds the capacity of the equipment, or your sweating to much, the monitor slips, there is interference in transmission, etc. then it will no longer work as designed. Now had you said you experienced angina based symptoms or palpitation at a certain RPP/work then I would be in more of an alarm state. Regardless to ease your mind I would see a doc ASAP even an emergency care facility.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Go see a cardiologist!! Sounds like U may have a PVC ( pre-ventricle contraction) My sister is a runner 5k to marathon's and she has this problem. She is on meds for it and can do anything. But def go see a doc!!!!
PVC stands for pre-MATURE ventricular contraction.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Possibly the heart monitor again? Same occurs at the Precor and LifeFitness equipment at my gym. Reads from 80ish thru 190s when I hit the high intensity zones. Experienced it for years without concern or ill result. Thought it was miscalibration or other vibrations caused by my movements which were activating the high rates.

How do you know it is you and not the machine?

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Sorry for the typo on PVC. Also according to the American Heart Association, PVCs are often harmless but can signal a more serious heart problem. Frequent PVCs that occur during exercise should always be brought to the attention of your doctor.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the typo on PVC. Also according to the American Heart Association, PVCs are often harmless but can signal a more serious heart problem. Frequent PVCs that occur during exercise should always be brought to the attention of your doctor.
I would just add the caveat, that only when in isolation. In a isolated incidence where the arrhythmia would be considered benign the chances of knowing the episode was in fact ectopic would be slim to none. When the condition becomes apparent enough to seek medical opinion and/or receive a diagnosis chances are it is of the latter with regards to your statement. The OP also expressed no signs or symptoms consistent with a PVC. If it is arrhythmia based, which I don't believe it is, based on his description it would be more representative of a vagal nerve regulation issue and ensuing RSA. As his exertion and respiration increase his heart rate jumps into tach ranges and returns to normal in a predictable but arrhythmic pattern. But even then id be inclined to blame the equipment based on what he is describing.

But regardless my advice is still to see a doctor when you can OP as to rule out any problems.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input and information gentlemen. Glad to have knowledgeable people around. For now I am going to restrict my HR to the 150-160 range until I can schedule a cardiologist visit in a few weeks after some dust settles, depending how next week goes for me. Hopefully its nothing or if it is its minor and correctable.