My training log any advice or tips is welcomed :)

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
I am training to get stronger and leaner so I'm doing a 8-12 week cut cycle
Been cutting for about 3 weeks
I lift Monday - Saturday Alternating between upper and lower body

Stats before cutting
Bench 210
Squat 425 90 degrees
495 on half squat
Incline dumbbell press with 45s repping 5-8x

After 3 weeks weight went from 235-223
Bench havent maxed out but I did 185 for about 5 reps

Squat haven't been able to max out due to bad ankle and no spotter but I been doing 405 easily

Incline DB press went up to 60lbs! For 8 reps that's a PR

Leg press I did 700lbs for a few reps also a PR

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
What's your age, height, weight? And %bf if you know

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
What's your age, height, weight? And %bf if you know
I just turned 17 on April Height about 5 8" or 5 9"and sorry don't know my bf%
Weight was 235- now after 3 weeks of cutting I'm down to 223

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What's your training program? Subbed.

Half squats don't mean crap btw :) Props for not skippin legs like most high schoolers

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
What's your training program? Subbed.

Half squats don't mean crap btw :) Props for not skippin legs like most high schoolers
Upper body days
Bench used to do smolov bench now doing 5x5s
Incline 5x5 moved up from 135 to 145
DB incline 3-4 sets for 5-8 reps
Shoulder press on some machine that lets u add weights for about 6 sets 5
And some other exercises like curls ect don't care much about those

Lower body
Leg press I do a pyramid type work out
Dead lift 315 for 3x3 move up 10lbs when I do it easily
Power clean 3 sets of 5
Squat did pryamid work outs with it
Then other work outs also
I lift at least an hour a day then do 30-1hr of light cardio
I do half squats cause it helps with my shotput throwing which is the only reason I'm training

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Half squats don't help more than full range of motion squats. Save your energy on getting stronger in the full squat.

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Half squats don't help more than full range of motion squats. Save your energy on getting stronger in the full squat.
Thanks I like doing both though but I know fulls are better they both make me stronger so its all good Im going to do fulls only till season starts again my coach tells me to them cause I lift alone and its safer I guess he was worried cause another athlete got hurt squatting lol

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks I like doing both though but I know fulls are better they both make me stronger so its all good Im going to do fulls only till season starts again my coach tells me to them cause I lift alone and its safer I guess he was worried cause another athlete got hurt squatting lol
Squatting half reps will only build strength in half reps. A deep squat, or below parallel squat, will involve much more quad/ham/and glute activation...therefore getting bigger and stronger. You aren't engaging the muscles the same way by doing half squats. I understand its for a sport, but that's why I recommend doing a proper squat.

Your coach shouldn't tell you to half squat. It can actually lead to injury. If someone got injured doing a full ROM squat, they did it incorrectly or with a load that they couldn't handle.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/why-the-hell-would-i-want-to-half-squat/ Very informative article that would benefit you and your sport

"Anything above this and the knee is subject to excess anterior forces because the hamstrings and adductors aren't stretched and don't provide a posterior force in the movement. This dramatically increases the likelihood of developing patella tendonitis or patella tendinopathy. Proper distribution of force about the knee is pivotal to knee health. Because this correct distribution only occurs in a full squat, it's obvious that full squats serve to keep the knees healthy. As an added fact, the stretched hamstrings and adductors in the bottom of a deep squat serve to provide a rebound out of the 'hole.' Thus, hip extension is accomplished much more safely and efficiently when we squat deep!"

Check this out as well
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Squatting half reps will only build strength in half reps. A deep squat, or below parallel squat, will involve much more quad/ham/and glute activation...therefore getting bigger and stronger. You aren't engaging the muscles the same way by doing half squats. I understand its for a sport, but that's why I recommend doing a proper squat.

Thanks ill take that into mind I just hope my strength will go up even though I'm cutting my calories

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Bump
Does anyone have any tips on dead lifting like how to increase it and how to increase my grip on it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bump
Does anyone have any tips on dead lifting like how to increase it and how to increase my grip on it
Any tips on increasing the deadlift? Sure. People write entire books on doing that. Be more specific. All I know about your deadlift is you do 315x3x3 and throw 10s on when you feel good.
Perfect your technique. Get on a proven system that will periodize and progress your training. As for grip, just get used to handling heavier loads.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Grip strength? Don't use straps, on anything. Get some chalk, it's like $5 and will last forever. Additionally, you can use the chalk when you're throwing. Nothing worse than a slick shot.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
The best wat to increase deadlift and grip strength is to do more dead lifts. Go higher reps and lower weight for starters. Grip strength will build from any pulling like dumbbell rows and pull ups

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
The best wat to increase deadlift and grip strength is to do more dead lifts. Go higher reps and lower weight for starters. Grip strength will build from any pulling like dumbbell rows and pull ups
After my leg workouts I use a wrist roller, I think it has overall improved my grip strength.

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
I was wondering what you guys do to get your bench what program did you use and what results have u gotten

I just finished my 1st week of 5x5 started 165 and i struggled my last set for the first day now end of thw week I did 170 5x5 and it felt easy moving to 175 next week and I'm still cutting and I feel stronger

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I was wondering what you guys do to get your bench what program did you use and what results have u gotten

I just finished my 1st week of 5x5 started 165 and i struggled my last set for the first day now end of thw week I did 170 5x5 and it felt easy moving to 175 next week and I'm still cutting and I feel stronger
Hard to cut and get stronger simultaneously. Not impossible, but very tough

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Hard to cut and get stronger simultaneously. Not impossible, but very tough
I have been working out very hard and making sure I don't go over my calories and to make sure I get the right amount of protein

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
How much do you think someone can increase their power clean in one year if they already have the form

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You mean reverse power curl? :D

Depends on training, rest, and diet..Same as any other lift

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
You mean reverse power curl? :D

Depends on training, rest, and diet..Same as any other lift
I was hopping to be able to power clean between 250-300 by next year that's over 100lbs increase in a year just wondering if u heard of people being able to do that

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards

Try looking into wendlers 531 program. You'll gain strength big time.

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
A little update

Today was upper body day
My DB incline bench went from 55s to 60 repped them about 5-8 times for a good 4 sets. That's the most weight I ever did on DB incline

Bench moved weight to 175 did 5 sets of 4 reps my last set only could get 3 reps.

Decline bench moved up to 165 for 5 sets of 4 used to do 145 for only 4 sets of 4 about 2-3 weeks ago when I started doing decline bench

But I'm happy getting stronger cheated on my diet past few days (mothers day and dads b day ) now it's Monday I can get back on routine

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Was able to do all 5 sets of 5 on bench with 175lbs beginning of the week I was not able to get all 5 sets of 5 so pretty satisfied seeing gains every week moving to 185 next upper body session

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I was hopping to be able to power clean between 250-300 by next year that's over 100lbs increase in a year just wondering if u heard of people being able to do that
One of my athletes I coach earned a scholarship next year for a D1 football program. He's 6'0" 185# and can clean 275x1

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
One of my athletes I coach earned a scholarship next year for a D1 football program. He's 6'0" 185# and can clean 275x1
That's cool I'm not a football player any more though stopped after 8th grade I been told to do it but I just don't want to its not the sport for me I'm trying to get a scholar ship for throwing shot put and if I can get my distance up by like 10 feet I got a good chance

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
That's cool I'm not a football player any more though stopped after 8th grade I been told to do it but I just don't want to its not the sport for me I'm trying to get a scholar ship for throwing shot put and if I can get my distance up by like 10 feet I got a good chance
Do it man! Work hard, and you can. When you're old like me, you might look back and wish you could've worked harder

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Do it man! Work hard, and you can. When you're old like me, you might look back and wish you could've worked harder

Thanks and trust me I'm going to work my butt off the whole year

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Upper body Day went to 185 on bench attempting to do 5 sets of 5 only managed to do
4x4x4x3x3 Hopefully I can get all 5x5 at the end of the week
Used 65s on DB incline felt really heavy for me lol might have to stick with that weight for 2 weeks
Decline bench seems to be doing great did 175 for all 5x5 sets going to move that up to 185 next time and hopping to get my body weight under 220 haven't been that light since last summer I think but I have a lot more muscle mass that I did a year ago

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Small progress on my 5x5 on bench I did
5x4x4x4x4 with 185 which is the most I been able to rep it
On decline bench did 185 for 5x4x3x3x3
Any advice would be appreciated

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
What advice are you looking for?
Any tips on getting stronger really

But I have a question about cutting I'm going go be doing a lot of activities in a day can I eat a little more
My cutting calories budget is about 1900
My maintenance is 2300-2400
But I play basketball for 45min practice for track around 45 min lift for 2hours then do plyometrics for 45min

So should I eat the calories I burn so I won't be too much under my calorie budget cause I don't want to loose muscle or strength

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stand by my original advice when you started this thread so...

I'd make up your calories. That seems pretty low. That or just eat at maitenance or slightly above.

Getting stronger whole reducing calories is tough

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
I stand by my original advice when you started this thread so...

I'd make up your calories. That seems pretty low. That or just eat at maitenance or slightly above.

Getting stronger whole reducing calories is tough
Yea it is hard I been getting stronger but Im starting to notice its slowing down

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Moved my 5x5 bench routine to 195 I repped it 3x3x3x2x2 and to ne I think that's good jopefully in a week or 2 ill raise it up another 10lbs
Tomorrow I'm starting the smolov russian squat program so wish me luck on that lol

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
1st day of smolov squat routine I set my max percentage a little slow I think at 405lbs but it seemed to work well I had to struggle on my sets

I'm also starting a deadlift and power clean program
Hopping to hit 450 on squat and 425 on dead lift and 215 on power clean at the end of June or in 4 weeks

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Do you think I should do 2 a day training going to the gym 2x a day lifting since its summer
Would this help me with my goals of getting stronger and loosing some fat

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
I decided I'm going to start bulking up again forget this cutting stuff lol I need to be strong to throw the shot put another 10 feet by next year so I can go to state any advice on how you did your bulking would be appreciated

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I decided I'm going to start bulking up again forget this cutting stuff lol I need to be strong to throw the shot put another 10 feet by next year so I can go to state any advice on how you did your bulking would be appreciated
Not an answer to your question, but however you bulk, if you truly want more distance in the shot, don't neglect explosive lifts. Big doesn't equal a farther throw, athleticism does

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Yes I know I always lift explosively and do power cleans and jerks and sprints ect I'm bulking to get the strength

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Yes I know I always lift explosively and do power cleans and jerks and sprints ect I'm bulking to get the strength
I figured: just words of caution from a coach who often sees small, athletic throwers out-toss the big beefy boys.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are serious about your throwing goal, then I might focus on one goal, (even some actual throwing coaching) instead of jumping all around. It does not appear like you are really staying focused on one specific goal!?

1st day of smolov squat routine I set my max percentage a little slow I think at 405lbs but it seemed to work well I had to struggle on my sets
Personally, I admire your zealousness but I think you might be starting that pretty high if you are already fighting the reps/sets!?
That is a pretty demanding routine.
I did a Smolov dead program a year or so back and had to modify it back the heavy days down to once per and made lighter speed work or medium squatting a 2nd day. The 3rd day almost got eliminated.
Adding the below program alongside the squatting, might have to be rethought IMO.

I'm also starting a deadlift and power clean program
Hopping to hit 450 on squat and 425 on dead lift and 215 on power clean at the end of June or in 4 weeks

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Yea I had to modify it to doing it only 3 days a week so I can recover enough been sawing good results in my squat been able to get all the sets and reps on the days I do

And I am the little guy who out throws the big guys lol one time a huge guy 6 foot 6 came had about 350 bench and 550 squat and I out threw him by about 10 feet

jo1054

jo1054

Awards
Getting stronger in all my lifts but my bench press is still lagging at 195 I can't seem to be able to rep it 5x yet And I been stuck on it for about 3 weeks or so why is it

My decline bench has gone up to repping 205 for about 4x for 5 sets
My push press/jerk maxed out at 250lbs
Incline is going up at 165 now

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
delsolrob Workout Logs 24
CaribouMT Workout Logs 5
Smont Cycle Logs 4353
-MVP- Workout Logs 1
Workout Logs 0